gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wondermints music  (Read 12442 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:28:04 AM »

I just keep going back to the Wondermints albums.   This stuff is simply the best.    I wonder if these guys have any plans to do more of their own material.

Discuss if you willl.  I can't get enough of these guys.

Do any of you have a guess about what an acoustic  guitar chord progression  would be for Tracy Hide?   I keep getting close but can't quite nail it.
SG7
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »

I do agree Donald. They have quite the addicting music. So far from talking to people, I don't think they are going to do very much since Mike had a kid and now resides in FL.
Wilsonista
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »

Donald: have you seen this site?

http://www.myspace.com/wondermints
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:54 PM »

I've never listened to the Wondermints before just right now when I heard the four songs on their Myspace. For some reason I imagined them sounding alot more Beach Boys-esque, but I'm not complaining. I could definitely hear Brian singing Ride, though.

These guys are too talented to be playing I Get Around and Fun Fun Fun every night to a bunch of geeks and baby boomers.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 05:11:55 AM »

These guys are too talented to be playing I Get Around and Fun Fun Fun every night to a bunch of geeks and baby boomers.

Quite - which is why they've also been playing Pet Sounds, Smile and That Lucky Old SunGrin

Not just talented, but some of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SG7
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Quite - which is why they've also been playing Pet Sounds, Smile and That Lucky Old SunGrin

Not just talented, but some of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met.

Yes they are so nice to their fans its insane!! No egos whatsoever.
Wilsonista
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »

I've never listened to the Wondermints before just right now when I heard the four songs on their Myspace. For some reason I imagined them sounding alot more Beach Boys-esque, but I'm not complaining. I could definitely hear Brian singing Ride, though.

Cool! (And I agree totally with your last sentence)

BTW, that is Brian singing the low bass part on "Ride"
SG7
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

I would give anything to see them on their own live at this rate. Probably not going to happen  Cry
PhilCormier
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »

Since I first heard their cover of " Porpoise Song,".,,,,Oh, and then it was the cover of The Hudson Brothers' "So You Are A Star"  Holy sh*t!  It's like the band I always wanted to be in!  And they're all the time BB's fanatics of the highest order.  (At least Darian and Probyn)
I've often dreamed of seeing them live at a club.  I would travel and spend for that.   - phil.
Wilsonista
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »

I saw them in 2002 perform at a club in Hollywood (my first trip to L.A.) when Mind If We Make To You came out.  Completely awe-inspiring performance. Brian joined them for "Ride" and Evie Sands joined them onstage as well. Their own stuff is "studio-centric", but the same attention to detail that they put in the live performances BB music they put in their own music.  Still one of the greatest shows I've ever seen by anybody.

I'm glad to see ''Mints  getting some love on this board compared to what they get on some other "hipper-than-thou" boards.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »

I really like Wondermints, too. Personally, I don't think they're all that wonderful as songwriters, especially on the lyrical side. But they're all such excellent players and singers, and their production ability is really fantastic. There's enough I enjoy to make up for the things I consider second-rate. They'd be among my favorite bands releasing music if they were, you know, releasing music.  Undecided

A lot of the hipper-than-thou attitude about them is bullshit, a convenient excuse about inauthenticity or lack of "magic" when 'mints and BW Band reproduce music some people would prefer were unreproduceable ("Unreproduceable," copyright 2008, all rights reserved) without the original musicians. "Yeah, OK, they're as good as the originals--and more accurate live...but it's not coming from the right attitude, man. f*** them, man." Blah blah blah. (Perhaps if none of us had ever heard of Wondermints, people of that mindset would be more apt to like them...)

Maybe I'm cynical as I spend the weekend mostly on Zappa, but there is no magic, only sounds created by craftspeople. And Wondermints are very good at what they do. Magical blend is another word for nostalgia, and it's in your head. 

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »

I really like Wondermints, too. Personally, I don't think they're all that wonderful as songwriters, especially on the lyrical side. But they're all such excellent players and singers, and their production ability is really fantastic. There's enough I enjoy to make up for the things I consider second-rate. They'd be among my favorite bands releasing music if they were, you know, releasing music.  Undecided

A lot of the hipper-than-thou attitude about them is bullmerda, a convenient excuse about inauthenticity or lack of "magic" when 'mints and BW Band reproduce music some people would prefer were unreproduceable ("Unreproduceable," copyright 2008, all rights reserved) without the original musicians. "Yeah, OK, they're as good as the originals--and more accurate live...but it's not coming from the right attitude, man. foda them, man." Blah blah blah. (Perhaps if none of us had ever heard of Wondermints, people of that mindset would be more apt to like them...)

Maybe I'm cynical as I spend the weekend mostly on Zappa, but there is no magic, only sounds created by craftspeople. And Wondermints are very good at what they do. Magical blend is another word for nostalgia, and it's in your head. 

I'm surprised you don't like the lyrics Luther. I find the lyrics on Bali to be just incredibly clever - I mean "In and around Greg Lake" or "I'm on a Chris-Craft to your heart"; or almost any line in "Puppet Grrls R Go". MIWMLTY was a bit more serious, true. But I am surprised, I thought you'd love that stuff.

I too would love to see the 'Mints play! I have always though it would be great if they could play some of their stuff with the whole BW band since the studio arrangements are so intricate and complex. I figured the rest of the BW band could help a lot. Just imagining the whole BW band playing Tracy Hide sends chills down my spine. But I would also be VERY happy to see them "solo".

They are just SO damn good, every time I listen to their stuff it just blows me away.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »

I could picture 70's era Carl singing Ride.  Grin Grin

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Wilsonista
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »

A lot of the hipper-than-thou attitude about them is bullmerda, a convenient excuse about inauthenticity or lack of "magic" when 'mints and BW Band reproduce music some people would prefer were unreproduceable ("Unreproduceable," copyright 2008, all rights reserved) without the original musicians. "Yeah, OK, they're as good as the originals--and more accurate live...but it's not coming from the right attitude, man. foda them, man." Blah blah blah. (Perhaps if none of us had ever heard of Wondermints, people of that mindset would be more apt to like them...)

I'm surprised you don't like the lyrics Luther. I find the lyrics on Bali to be just incredibly clever - I mean "In and around Greg Lake" or "I'm on a Chris-Craft to your heart"; or almost any line in "Puppet Grrls R Go". MIWMLTY was a bit more serious, true. But I am surprised, I thought you'd love that stuff.

I too would love to see the 'Mints play! I have always though it would be great if they could play some of their stuff with the whole BW band since the studio arrangements are so intricate and complex. I figured the rest of the BW band could help a lot. Just imagining the whole BW band playing Tracy Hide sends chills down my spine. But I would also be VERY happy to see them "solo".

They are just SO damn good, every time I listen to their stuff it just blows me away.

I love their songwriting myself. Although they do, on Bali at least, come a little too close to being "clever for the sake of clever".  Although there is so much ambition in the making of that disc that I can overlook that.  Mind, is the perfect modern pop album.  Heartfelt sentiments expressed in fresh ways - when they made that record, they were knee-deep in Bread and Carrpenters records.

Luther: I think you're right about the hipper-than-thous.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »

You've named a few of the things that I both do and don't like most. It's just that:

...they do, on Bali at least, come a little too close to being "clever for the sake of clever".

Incredibly clever can be a bad thing when it's followed by a coy smile, you know? Anyway, don't get hung up on that critique. We're talking about something that keeps them in my mind as a remarkably good band instead of a mind-blowingly brilliant band. Hardly an insult. And I do like some of their lyrics. Just sometimes they catch me as too cute for my taste.

To make sure the point isn't lost, musically I consider them nearly flawless.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »

Oh, and Jim, you nailed me on "Puppet Grrls R Go." Since the first time I've heard it, I thought it was an absolute hit single, a great pop song.

SG7
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »

I am personally a BIG fan of the first album they did. I use to play that thing every day for a while at school. It's probably the most personal one I think out of the bunch (I am sure I am wrong but that's how I think.) The first album seems to say a lot and still keep a simplistic nature about it (ex: Playtex Aviary.)
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »

I am personally a BIG fan of the first album they did. I use to play that thing every day for a while at school. It's probably the most personal one I think out of the bunch (I am sure I am wrong but that's how I think.) The first album seems to say a lot and still keep a simplistic nature about it (ex: Playtex Aviary.)

I agree, it seemed like they were trying to explain where "it all came from" and really wanted you to get it.

It was an amazing piece of work. I just love Libbyland, Proto-Pretty, and In A Haze - and the rest ain't bad either!! The original Tracy Hide is only bettered by their own cover on "Wonderful World..."

BTW, if you haven't heard "And Penny Knows" or "Reality Check" or "Invisible Paint" you are missing a real treat!

And just for the record (no pun intended), Mike D'Amico's songs kill! Cellophane, If I Were You, Something I Knew - they HAVE to miss having him around LA.
SG7
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »

Oh Jim I have heard those other tracks you've mentioned. "Reality Check" is just an amazing song. I was lucky to ask Darian about it once. Mike's songs are fantastic too.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

I love their songwriting myself. Although they do, on Bali at least, come a little too close to being "clever for the sake of clever". 

I remember when MIWMLTY came out, I read an article (I can't recall what site it was on, sorry) where Darian was saying they made a conscious decision to push Bali right up to the edge. And that they'd decided not to for MIWMLTY, that the years of working directly with BW had changed their outlook some.

Remember they couldn't even get a US record company to release their stuff until Bali arrived 2 years after the Japanese release. I'm sure they felt they had to do something to grab attention. (OT) I'm so fortunate to have Japanese copies of "Wondermints" and "Wonderful World of Wondermints" - I see they're gone out of print now (sigh). Sad

One more Darian plug here - I know it's him and Nick, not technically the 'Mints - but "Do You Have Any Regrets" is a MUST HEAR for anyone who likes pop. Period!
SG7
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »

I first remember hearing Bali and not really liking it at first. It seemed so agressive compared to MIWMLTY. It took forever for that record to grow on me but once it did, I was hooked. Getting their records has always been a problem. It's funny how I found MIWMLTY. It was in my local library. Darian couldn't believe it when I told him that  LOL Bali was the first record he sent me and it was on my Grandmother's funeral and a copy of ESQ came that day too. Very bizzare day.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 06:28:35 AM »

Jim S. said the thought of the Brian Wilson band performing Tracy Hide live sent chills down his spine.

Me too.  I can almost see and hear it in my imagination.    And the thing is, these people are capable of performing something like that live and doing it well.  Is Taylor Mills still with the band?   I can just hear her doing some of the softer background vocal parts on this song.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »

Just reviewing  some Mints Lyrics:  Darian begins Libbyland with the line "Once again they played the pawn..."

hmmmmmmm......(a diamond necklace played the pawn)

Seems as if the the influences are truly  deep and go back to the band's beginning.
SG7
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

Well supposedly Libbyland is about Brian?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »

Someone once said that Libbyland reminded them of Brian.  I don't know if it was about Brian.....but in retrospect, looking at that opening line and the subject matter....it could very well be about Brian....
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx