gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:11:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unexpected Beach Boys Songs In Unexpected Places  (Read 7427 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »

GV from BWPS at the end of Wild Hogs.....that was a pleasant surprise...

and as for movie soundtracks and mentions, we can't forget Almost Famous...........Feel Flows as a closing credits song on this movie that provided such a loving look at the hippie/rock music era.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

GV from BWPS at the end of Wild Hogs.....that was a pleasant surprise...

and as for movie soundtracks and mentions, we can't forget Almost Famous...........Feel Flows as a closing credits song on this movie that provided such a loving look at the hippie/rock music era.

I just watched "Wild Hogs" on DVD this past weekend and was surprised to hear the BWPS version of "Good Vibrations" rather than the more familiar original version.  I wonder how many people saw this movie in the theater and kind of cocked their head thinking something wasn't quite right with the song.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

People who aren't super-fans of the Beach Boys don't know any of the words to Good Vibrations and wouldn't know that the words were different. But if you mean the fact that it was recorded four years ago and therefore doesn't sound the same in that way, they probably thought it was a cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

Okay, after starting this thread, I now have a new one to report, which kind of took me by surprise yesterday.

On the local Sinatra/Tony Bennett/Michael Buble type music radio station:

The ALBUM version of Help Me Ronda.

Sounds like somebody's got a copy of "Endless Summer", where they accidentally used the wrong version!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

I heard a muzak(!) version of "Surf's Up" at an airport years ago...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »

that sounds interesting....somebody should research and find this muzak version.....I respect any muzician who is hip to Surf's Up...
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »

I was on the phone to a Travel Agent the other day when she put me on hold to try and find some seats on various flights - on comes "I Wanna Be Around/Workshop" - thought I was in the twilight zone!
SG7
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »

When I was going back to school, I heard Little Deuce Coupe in the gas station, then at the diner I heard Surfer Girl. Twice in one day I heard them, which never happens!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »

When I was going back to school, I heard Little Deuce Coupe in the gas station, then at the diner I heard Surfer Girl. Twice in one day I heard them, which never happens!

Well I don't know if this qualifies but over here in Oz you can sometimes hear the Beach Boys Christmas Album around Christmas time - obviously. That's always a real treat. I don't really hear too many Beach Boys songs in unexpected places. I did however hear the Warmth of the Sun on the radio which was REALLY cool and totally unexpected especially because it's not a music station, I was listening out for the news and right before it they played the song. Really moved me as well because I was just so not expecting it. That was a few months ago, so I'm guessing the radio station had recently bought the new WOTS compilation. I'm glad the radio host played it cause I'm sure it took a lot of people by surprise, like, "THIS is the Beach Boys? Huh" Smiley
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:13:17 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »

that sounds interesting....somebody should research and find this muzak version.....I respect any muzician who is hip to Surf's Up...
This isn't exactly the same, but I saw a CD for sale once that was lullaby renditions of Beach Boys songs. I don't remember much of the track listing, but one of them was Surf's Up.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »

'Live at Knebworth' playing in my, at the time, 12 year olds bedroom. 'Sloop John B' repeated several times.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »

I was really shocked when I recognized it.  Back in the day when I worked at Kroger (a grocery chain), I must have heard every song off of the Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1 country album at one point or another.  Later on when I worked at Publix (yet another grocery chain) I heard "Sail On, Sailor" at least several times.  Publix actually wouldn't shy from playing deep cuts from artists.  They would semi-regularly play Paul McCartney's "Only Love Remains", a ballad off his Press To Play album which at the time I had never heard before.  They also would play an alternate version of the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" which I think was from the Anthology set. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
lisa75
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

A couple of years ago BBC1 had the original version of Our Prayer playing in between programmes to a short clip of a guy stood on a rooftop having a stretch I thought it was the mutts nuts.   Smiley
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 01:23:55 AM »

I heard Good Vibrations at a car dealership and later the same day I heard Sloop John B at a Pizza Hut. The radio stations here play BB songs pretty regularly. In the last few weeks I've heard Wouldn't It Be Nice twice and Barbara Ann, but the one that really surprised me was when I heard the end of Keep an Eye On Summer on an AM station. Definitely one of the last songs I thought I'd hear on the radio in 2008, but it made my day Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx