gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:01:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unexpected Beach Boys Songs In Unexpected Places  (Read 7440 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »

An idea for a new thread popped into my head tonight.  I've had a cold this week, and I went to the drug store to get some cough drops.  They had a closed-circuit radio playing in the store.  A new song began playing, and I stopped in my tracks, trying to figure out this very familiar intro to the tune.  "What is this thing??" I thought. 

Then I heard Brian's voice, "Another car running fast, another song on the beach...."  It really brought a smile to my under-the-weather self, to hear this song in a very unexpected place.

So, this has me curious... what are some of the more obscure BB/BW songs you've heard on the radio... or in a store somewhere...or in an elevator...etc etc?  I'm not talking about hearing Good Vibrations on the typical oldies radio.  I'm talking about times like when I heard the Carl version of Surf's Up played on a re-run episode of the Wolfman Jack show, and I practically got into a car accident as a result.  Fire away.   Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »

I saw a movie called "My Life Without Me" for a Canadian Cinema class at college, and the lead actress Sarah Polley started singing "God Only Knows".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:35:56 AM »

hearing Feel Flows on my vacation in the U.S. a couple of years ago year on one of the radiochannels on the flight from Houston to San Francisco surprised me a bit...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »

We have done this a couple of times but I like sharing these stories. Once I heard You're Welcome in a loop at an airport. They kept playing it over and over. I heard California Saga at a Ruby Tuesday's (who also had a Two Lane Blacktop poster up). What I Say I heard several times on the Chicago oldies station in the early ninties.  Imagination and Christmassy at a gorcery store, Santa's Beard in a store. Let's Hot Fun when it first came out . Also semi obsucre things like I Can Hear Music,  Getcha Back (when it was new), California Dreamin (also when it was new), Come Go With Me, and Heroes.  I also used to hear Darlin a lot when I lived in Cleveland in the 80's.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:49 AM »

Hearing 'Do It Again' playing outside the airport when i arrived in Flordia on Vacation..One of my fondest memories

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:42 AM »

when i was student teaching earlier this week, i was in my class' gym class and the teacher turned on some "work-out music"...it turned out to be Kokomo...egh....i turned to one of my class mates and said i remembered when this was popular, 20 years ago...then the next song came on, it was Wipe Out...I determined it was the Still Crusin' album...wish i coulda heard In my Car and Make it Big...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:02 PM »

I heard Darlin' in a diner/coffeeshop place once. I heard a cover of Island Girl in the mall. I heard the Wild Honey version of Cool Cool Water once in a store.

I was listening to Your Imagination in the car once, and my friend, who was also in the car, said, "Ugh, I hate this song, they play it all the time at work." Shane, did you hear it in CVS?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »

"Your Imagination" plays in the upscale grocery stores in town all the time. It must be part of the adult contemporary playlist of their music provider.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SG7
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »

Help Me Rhonda at a macdonalds down here at my school. They played I Get Around on one of the commericals during one of my roommate's favorite reality shows. We were grooving along to it and me pretending I didn't know who it was  Lips Sealed I think she would be so weirded out if she knew all of this lol.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »

I heard a Muzak version of "Surf's Up" in an elevator once.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

I've heard Your Imagination played at Kroger.   Music for old farts to grocery shop to.  LOL
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »

"Your Imagination" plays in the upscale grocery stores in town all the time. It must be part of the adult contemporary playlist of their music provider.

Yeah I hear it at my local grocery store chain every couple months or so...people probably think I'm nuts when I position myself underneath the speaker and stand there until the song ends!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

I heard Darlin' in a diner/coffeeshop place once. I heard a cover of Island Girl in the mall. I heard the Wild Honey version of Cool Cool Water once in a store.

Wait....someone covered Island Girl!??
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

I heard the BB version of "The Lord's Prayer" on the PA system of an Egyptian Tourist Police in the Sinai Desert in 1984.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 07:09:45 PM »

When 'Imaginations' first came out, I heard 'South America' at a grocery store. I heard 'Surfs Up' 1971 at Starbucks once.

When Smile first came out, I went to the record store to buy it, and lo and behold they were playing 'Heroes and Villains' 2004!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »

"I was listening to Your Imagination in the car once, and my friend, who was also in the car, said, "Ugh, I hate this song, they play it all the time at work." Shane, did you hear it in CVS?"

I heard it at a Longs Drugs store here in California.  I'm starting to wonder if several different chain grocery and drug stores subscribe to the same closed circuit music provider.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »

Well, apparently Your Imagination is quite the popular track, judging from the other posts in this thread.

Wait....someone covered Island Girl!??
Yeah. It was the weirdest thing ever. It was about 7 in the morning, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

I've heard Your Imagination in probably a dozen different restaurants and stores...not sure why it's so heavily rotated on Muzak.

I've heard Come Go With Me at Kmart.
IJWMFTT at the mall and at Starbucks.
The entire "Songs we love to love" CD at Starbucks.
The enitre "Sounds Of Summer" CD at Barnes And Noble.
It's OK at Toys R Us.

Other things I've heard but can't remember where: Sail On Sailor, Do It Again, Darlin, Rock And Roll Music, Feel Flows, Surf's Up, I Can Hear Music, Disney Girls, Getcha Back.  Probably more that I can't remember right now...
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 02:36:07 AM »

I heard "Here Comes The Night" (1967 version) in a bar once... And "Wouldn't It Be Nice" in a grocery store. There's also a local radio station that sometimes plays the 1983 version of "California Dreamin'"!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 02:42:29 AM »

I heard the BB version of "The Lord's Prayer" on the PA system of an Egyptian Tourist Police in the Sinai Desert in 1984.
I remember reading you write about that in an ESQ I think.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 03:12:21 AM »

They played "Live at the Roxy" at a record store a few years ago when it came out.
I heard "Sail on sailor" and "California girls" on a radio-wishlist (guess who asked those songs to be played) and then they had a Beach Boys-special once with "Here comes the night" ('67) and "Surf's up" among the rare tracks. Of course you often hear more of the usual stuff like GV and Kokomo or Sloop John B. from time to time

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »

Synchronicity: I had just bought the Surf's Up reissue vinyl they did some years ago (EMIs 100th birthday? 1997?) and in the car was explaining to my friends that despite the title, it wasn't a "stereotype" Beach Boys fun-in-the-sun album; which led me onto saying how great and under-rated the early 70s stuff is, when the car radio started playing "Sail On, Sailor" - never heard it on the radio before or since.
aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »

I have the Beach Boys set as one of my alerts on Sirius, and I've been surprised by the variety: Heroes and Villains, All This is That, Add Some Music, This Whole World, Honkin Down the Highway ...
MBE
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »

Yeah the pay radio is much better musically.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 01:02:24 PM »

Flippin' channels last night I caught about 2 minutes of "Forest Gump" on ABC. It's got a snippet of Sloop John B ("this is the worst trip I've ever been on") during his arrival in Viet Nam right before Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" starts up.

Life IS like a box of chocolates.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx