gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:09:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980
5 - 23 (46.9%)
4 - 12 (24.5%)
3 - 10 (20.4%)
2 - 4 (8.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980  (Read 41548 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 03:50:46 PM »

Both the Knebworth and DC 1980 shows are very solid shows, better than I think some folks give them credit for.

It wasn't their peak or anything, but it was SIX BBs on stage with only *three* (or four at Knebworth) backing guys.
I need to watch the DC show. I know it's on youtube, and I used to see clips from it on tv, but never watched it all the way through.

If you like the Knebworth show, then you'll dig the DC show. It's very, very similar (some would argue redundantly so). The shows were only two weeks apart. Similar setlists (I think the only songs unique to the hour-long DC video are "Good Timin'" and "Catch a Wave"), relatively similar performances. Dennis is still solid, though with less spark than the Knebworth show. On the other hand, the DC performance of "Keepin' the Summer Alive" is superior.

I have an officially released DVD of the DC show; it was released in Japan as "A Celebration Concert" first in the olden days on VHS (and maybe laserdisc) and then again briefly on DVD in 1997. It was a pretty obscure release, during the early days of DVD. I only managed to track a copy down when I was able to pay for it by having a fan in France buy a Japanese import. I then had to procure a region-free DVD player (the DVD is NTSC, but Region 2).

Here are a couple of pics of the Japanese DVD:

Back in 1983, our local PBS station aired "The Beach Boys 20th Anniversary Special" (yeah, a little late), and a lot of the footage was from the CD and Knebworth shows. I recorded it on audio cassette, still have it in fact. Was always impressed with Dennis' playing in both 1980 shows. The DC footage seemed to turn up a lot back then - IIRC, they also showed some of it when they were on the Tonight Show in 1980. I thought it odd that they were showing footage that prominently showed Dennis and yet his name wasn't even mentioned during their chat with Joan Rivers.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 05:43:02 AM »

My absolute favourite version of Darlin is from this show! Carl is awsome as always!
Yeah, that is a great version. I really don't understand all the complaints about this show. Dennis looks wrecked? Well, what did you expect, it's 1980. I think he looks fine, he's into it most of the time, "Elton John eat your heart out!" Brian isn't too bad for the time, at least he looks interested SOME of the time. Carl, Mike and Al are solidly professional, but I still don't know if Bruce really plays that keyboard or not - can't distinguish it in the mix.

I think Bruce's keyboard is turned on at least some of the time... You can hear him playing support keys on You Are So Beautiful and Brian does for some reason, venture over to Bruce's keyboard for Help Me Rhonda (Al sidles over and ask him if he's alright!) .... so, I think it's at least plugged in

And he also played it on "I write the songs". Its not included in the dvd or cd, but it was part of the show and there's a good recording available.
I knew I write the Songs was performed along with Some of Your Love, Santa Ana Winds, and Good Timin' were all performed; why weren't they included if they were gonna fix things with auto tuning? The only thing I know is Brian messes up a small part of the lyrics to Good Timin. Anyone else have an idea?  

According to Alan Boyd, "Santa Ana Winds" wasn't included because it was sparesly rehearsed, with Al and Bruce reading the lyrics from a piece of paper, Brian and Carl unsure how to perform the song and the lack of a bass instrument. Other songs including "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "In My Room", "Catch A Wave", and "Good Timin'" were omitted because of sub-par performances and the need to keep the film within the 70-75 DVD minute limit.

Of interest, 'Santa Ana Winds' was included in the set as a request from Roger Scott at Londons Capital Radio (who indeed sponsored the show).
Roger played the single a lot on Capital Radio, as did Steve Wright at BBC Radio 1 (who still plays it some 36 years later on BBC Radio 2).

I was there, and certainly remember Bruce holding the lyric sheet for Al to sing 'Santa'

Found a pic online of Bruce holding the lyrics (sure beats adjusting a mic stand  LOL) for Al on Santa Ana Winds at Knebworth

[image sharing
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:59:55 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »

I watched the 1980 July 4th show last night. Seemed to be even less Brian than in Knebworth; and when he moves over to Bruce's keyboard for Rhonda, it looks like he is just banging out one chord non-stop. He does not look well in this concert. Dennis is fine, although when he comes down front to join the singalong part of GV, I could swear I see Carl gesture a few times for Dennis to get back to his drums, and Dennis ignores him. That singalong goes on far too long. "That's it, now you got, a little bit louder!" Pretty good performance, though. Carl looks and sounds great - as always. Is there any footage from the 1981 show? I imagine that one - without Carl - might be pretty rough viewing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

What's weird/interesting is that some raw footage (with timecode) has circulated for years for some of the Knebworth show, in rather sketchy quality (I think some of that is still on YouTube), and through the murk it certainly seems like the performance of "Good Timin'" was fine, and in fact minus the flubs found on the Washington DC performance which *was* included in that TV broadcast.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »

What's weird/interesting is that some raw footage (with timecode) has circulated for years for some of the Knebworth show, in rather sketchy quality (I think some of that is still on YouTube), and through the murk it certainly seems like the performance of "Good Timin'" was fine, and in fact minus the flubs found on the Washington DC performance which *was* included in that TV broadcast.
Puzzling. The only thing I can figure is that Carl was not 100% pleased with his vocal on Good Timin'. It sounds fine to me, but he was very critical of his and the band's performances.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »

If you watch the video of "Good Timin'" and listen to the audio, that particular version seems to have a lot of tempo issues. There is a lot of speeding up and slowing down.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:02 AM »

If you watch the video of "Good Timin'" and listen to the audio, that particular version seems to have a lot of tempo issues. There is a lot of speeding up and slowing down.

It's certainly not the most polished performance, but it doesn't seem that "off" to me. But I suppose it's possible that the murky fidelity of available recordings kind of hide the imperfections. Maybe when they busted out the multitracks and listened to them, it was a bigger issue.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx