gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:33:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980
5 - 23 (46.9%)
4 - 12 (24.5%)
3 - 10 (20.4%)
2 - 4 (8.2%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980  (Read 42570 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:52:37 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Good Timin: Live at Knebworth, England 1980, released Jun 15, 2004.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »

A celebratory concert. Great fun for all involved. Even Brian seems to be having fun. 4 from me.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »

I gotta give a 2.

The beginning of the decline. Brian looks totally lost. Mike is on autopilot. Carl and Al give their all, but poor disheveled Dennis. He looked like a fucking wreck, but he damn nears saves the show with his pure, unbridled joy at being a BB.  The only one who, on this night looks like he wanted to be there.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:28:39 PM »

I'm with Rob on this one.  I was really psyched up to see all the Boys performing together, but MIke's prancing and nasal voice is really irritating and Brian is clearly not "engaged".  Instead of making me happy, it makes me sad to watch it.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:22:04 AM »

Even Brian seems to be having fun.

That's funny... On my copy he really doesn't.  Smiley
Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 11:49:16 AM »

Even Brian seems to be having fun.

That's funny... On my copy he really doesn't.  Smiley

Watch the Keepin' the Summer Alive performance. He gets into it.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 07:47:10 PM »

I think it's  HONEST, warts and all...At one point Al asks BW (sitting behind the Wurlitzer ) "Are you OK ?"  How times have changed... Dennis clowning with ML--mortal enemies, eh ? BW leaving the stage when they play H&V...Mike, and especially Carl playing to the camera--not that there's anything wrong with that...Dennis, damaged, but still giving it all he's got...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »

Crap cover!
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 02:45:08 PM »

Would've been better with some more SMiLE material...  Cabinessence, Vegatables, etc.

Still, they put on a good show.

Denny drumming at the start of "California Girls" is just...  Shocked  One of the coolest things I've ever seen/heard.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:31:04 AM »

Dennis clowning with ML--mortal enemies, eh ?

I'd really like to know what was really going through Mike's head when Dennis put his arm around him during Surfer Girl. He looks like he's thinking "Keep smiling Mike, people are watching!" to himself...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 03:33:37 AM »

Dennis clowning with ML--mortal enemies, eh ?

I'd really like to know what was really going through Mike's head when Dennis put his arm around him during Surfer Girl. He looks like he's thinking "Keep smiling Mike, people are watching!" to himself...

And I would like to know why Carl seems so upset at the end of "Surfer Girl" and Dennis and Al have to keep him away from Mike....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »

I gave it a 5 because the band is all together and at least appear happy on the surface. Dennis and Mike horsing around during Surfer Girl was very touching.

God, I miss Dennis.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 07:07:16 PM »

this concert rocks! its great to see the guys all together and having a good time for the most part. i love this version of darlin'. I love the rockier version of Keepin the Summer Alive and Brian looks to be having a good time as well. wasnt a couple other songs ommitted from this?: Wouldnt it be Nice, I write the songs, Some of your Love, etc.   Whats with the sign in the background saying: DONT PANIC? why not play Good timin' though? good to see brian on the keyboard on Help Me Rhonda.

anyone ever notice how Bruce tries to start a clap about, mmmm 7 odd times?

are the crowd cheering Al on during the intro of lady lynda because it's bach or Lady Lynda? (didnt know because I heard LL was popular in the UK)

Best Part of the whole Concert: "LADIES AND GENTELMAN, BRIAN WILSON," on the Surfer Girl bridge, i love it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:39:10 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
pool_of_tears
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 06:59:48 PM »

Great cd and dvd, despite the edits and omissions. The worst imo is the edit towards the end of Rock And Roll Music on the cd. The cut out the few bars of Dennis playing just his crash cymbals. It's complete on the DVD. And the missing songs: Good Timin', In My Room, Catch A Wave, I Write The Songs, Some of Your Love, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Santa Ana Winds.

In my opinion, there's no reason Good Timin', In My Room, I Write The Songs and Santa Ana Winds should'nt have been included. I've heard all of the missing songs and they range from good to great. I thought it very stupid to subtitle the release "Good Timin' " and not even include that very sing. But what do I know!?  Grin

As for the "Don't Panic" sign, that was for Brian.

No matter what the guy swere going through personally...it's still a very solid performance overall. They should release the complete July 4, 1980 D.C. show. It was recorded on multi-track.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 05:10:17 AM »

I like this show but compared to It's Ok they have all gone way down. Dennis looks bad but he is having a blast. Still something isn't right. Brian seems very zoned out. Mike, and Al are getting a little corney with their kicking during School Days. Carl well he was perfect-in his prime. Ok for all that Mike sounds a lot better then he would a few years later, Al gives his customary good performance, and though Brian is there  more in body then is spirit, it's nice to see the whole group. Bruce is a lot more fun then too. I think it is the last really good show I have heard. The 7-4-80 is pretty good but as Stebbins notes Dennis runs out of steam halfway through that show. My only real gripe is the edited songs. Rough or not they should be there. It ruins it for me almost (they pull the same merda with the lost concerts dvd I WANT MONSTER MASH so I can make fun of Mike more.)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 03:49:43 AM »

I gave this a 5. Even though the band was clearly not at its peak it is still nice to see them all together. I too love some of the moments that people have already mentioned such as the bit in Surfer Girl when Dennis says "ladies and gentleman, Brian Wilson". I think Carl is marvelous on this concert and he really carries the show well. I too love his version of Darlin', man he had such a diverse voice. I also love Dennis's drumming at the start of California Girls... I showed some friends that who arent particularly keen on The Beach Boys and they too thought that that was pretty damn cool. Al is also fantastic on this concert. It is nice to see Brian performing on stage even if hes not having the best of times. For me Carl, Denny and Al are the main reasons that I enjoy this concert.
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »

It's a 5 without a certain frontman who shall remain nameless. In any event, it's a 4 from me. Brian is indeed largely absent, but the moment when Dennis comes up behind him and kisses him on the head, well there are not enough points in the world to score that image. The band sounds great. Dennis plays drums a lot better than I remember him doing, and Carl is in great voice.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

I watch it all the time...it's fabulous. Great music, great showmanship. And Dennis steals the show, for me at least.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »

There is something I've always wondered about this cd/dvd set. Are these the original tapes, or the studio overdubbed version?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »

There is something I've always wondered about this cd/dvd set. Are these the original tapes, or the studio overdubbed version?

I'm pretty certain it's the studio overdubbed version.
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30:41 PM »

I got the Live at Knebworth DVD and CD a few months ago.  I give it a 5. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »

The Autotune used on Mike's voice makes him sound like T-Pain!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »

Pretty wretched. Not the music, exactly (the band still had some real chops), but simply depressing to watch the disintegration of Brian and Dennis and the transition of the group from touring powerhouse to traveling jukebox. Two from me. Three if I'm in a better mood.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

I love this DVD warts n all!

I love Mike's voice, but what the hell was wrong with it that night? Was it the cold weather? His voice sounds like the air coming out of a popped tire!

Brian's actually solid that night. If you pay attention you can really hear his solid old fashioned piano against Mike Meros and his various keyboard sounds. It really holds down the bottom.

I understand the edit on Rock N Roll Music for the CD version. It was a case of Dennis simply ending the song too soon, but he tries to save it by hitting the cymbals and kick drum in order to "wind" the song down as opposed to it's normal abrupt ending. Mike looks mighty pissed and Carl looks panicked. It makes for good visual drama, but audio-wise, it's a mess.

I don't really know about Dennis losing steam halfway. He wobbles a bit on a couple of later songs, but more because of his goofing around with Mike Meros, rather than him simply sucking. He also kicks merda on Good Vibrations. I LOVE the way he played it live. He really goes into some complicated tom tom work in the last section, while creatively tossing in some snare here and there. Dennis rules!!!

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »

A good DVD to watch (I had some of it on VHS from back in the day) but indeed, signs of the "beginning of the end" - I gave it a 4.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx