gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:48:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al became a full partner in???  (Read 3188 times)
MBE
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:07:18 AM »

When did Al Jardine become a full business member of the group? I have heard both 1967 and 1973.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:44:31 AM »

I've always heard '73...but it's a matter that I can't seem to find proof on.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:49:27 AM »

I always thought it was 1967...don't know where I heard it though.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:02:48 AM »

When did Al Jardine become a full business member of the group? I have heard both 1967 and 1973.

Al told me it was 1973...in an interview specifically aimed at this subject. Its all in the book titled The Lost Beach Boy.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »

Do Al not haves say in anything till 1973, that's terrible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »

Al told me it was 1973...in an interview specifically aimed at this subject. Its all in the book titled The Lost Beach Boy.

ahhh, that's probably where I read it. I knew I saw it somewhere. Dang, I need to go re-read that book. I have a terrible memory sometimes.
MBE
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »

Thanks Jon, I knew I got the 1973 date somewhere reputable I just had forgotten where. I love that book btw.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »

David Marks didn't become a full business member until 2091. Unforunately he had long passed.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »

David Marks didn't become a full business member until 2091. Unforunately he had long passed.

Slightly funny but lacking insight...because David Marks was a full business member in 1962 and 1963. Al was not given the same 20% royalty that David held until 1973. He was paid as a sideman and given a small royalty bonus...less than a third of what the other guys got. "That was their way of punishing me for leaving in the beginning," says Al. One of the great questions of The Lost Beach Boy book is where did that 20% get funneled to for a decade?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »

One of the great questions of The Lost Beach Boy book is where did that 20% get funneled to for a decade?

Maybe, showing surprising foresight, the group funded an account from which to pay future legal fees.

Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »

Murry's house and car payments? Cheesy
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »

Slightly funny but lacking insight...because David Marks was a full business member in 1962 and 1963. Al was not given the same 20% royalty that David held until 1973. He was paid as a sideman and given a small royalty bonus...less than a third of what the other guys got. "That was their way of punishing me for leaving in the beginning," says Al. One of the great questions of The Lost Beach Boy book is where did that 20% get funneled to for a decade?

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

By the way, I thought I recall in your book that Dave continued to receive his share of money for several years after he quit? Is that different then the 20%?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

By the way, I thought I recall in your book that Dave continued to receive his share of money for several years after he quit? Is that different then the 20%?

Dave continues to this day to receive his artist royalty for the BB's songs he's "credited" with playing on...basically the first three and half LP's worth, which is less than he actually did play on. The difference is he was never compensated for the 1/5 of BB's royalties through the term of his orig. contract which ran to 1967. Instead his contract was illegally terminated in late 1963 and backdated to 8/63. Dave never knew it had been done illegally until a couple of years ago...and subsequent legal events made it difficult to challenge. Its very detailed in the book and anyone interested in this stuff should check it out...the bottom line is as a 15 year old he was swindled out of what turned out to be 10 to 15 million dollars worth of royalties that were contractually his...and Al, the party that most deserved to claim those royalties apparently didn't get them either. Someone did.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »

Wouldn't they just have been split up among the others?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx