gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:35:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New demo: "Marianne, are you listening?"  (Read 3559 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »

Actually, other than better mixing it, I don't intend to do a lot more with this. Originally written in 2001 but slightly rearranged and entirely re-recorded today, it's my second-creepiest song ever. So, you know...that's something.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6rata8

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:16:04 PM »

Cool song, a little creepy yes, I like those little guitar bits which come in and sound quite discordant.
Also like it when the fuzzbass and twinkly thing comes in, that reminds me of parts of 'Berlin' by Lou Reed, in fact vocally at the end on teh last line that sounds very Lou Reed-ish!
A good song, I can relate to the lyric, i've written a few in that vein!! Overall good stuff, would be interested to hear your number 1 creepy song!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »

reminds me of parts of 'Berlin' by Lou Reed, in fact vocally at the end on teh last line that sounds very Lou Reed-ish!

That was specifically what I had in mind with the dead vocal delivery in parts. Speaking of...

would be interested to hear your number 1 creepy song!

I can accommodate. Here is "Inertia," written and recorded Tuesday or Wednesday. Still needs a better mix. And to get as dead a vocal delivery as I could, I actually held a guitar pick in my mouth while singing the first two verses. I think you'll sense Berlin on this, too...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9hob6

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »

Yeah, I like that, it has an unsettling feel to it which is obviously intentional. There's some funny noise which comes in at around 0.25 going through it which sounds really cool. Again the fuzzbass really adds to it, the overdriven electric guitar gives it that Berlin feel too.

I'm glad someone else is appreciating Lou Reed and Berlin, I based my entire singing style on Lou when I started as it was easy! People go on about Transformer but I absolutely think Berlin is his masterpiece, more than anything he did solo or in the Velvets. That said, a good part of the success of the album is down to the production which is genius, its such a compelling listen.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

I tend not to like Bob Ezrin's work, but his over-the-top production was just so perfect with Lou's trademark understatement. I really like that album as well. (I do think Transformer is better, by the way. But they're both fantastic, if totally different.)

That noise is some synth patch on my old Alesis, a single note--C#, I think--that I held throughout. I liked that idea of it fading back in and out of key based on what chords passed it by. It added tension, I thought. The noise most audible at the beginning and end is a slide being run in circles across the strings of an acoustic guitar, processed through a filter and panned to give it that stop-and-start feeling, again for tension.

I don't know what's up with my fuzz-bass love this week. (Or disturbing songs this week, for that matter.) I'm sure I'll be doing melodic-happy pop by tomorrow. Although I am thinking of finishing up an old song cycle that "Marianne" was a part of back in 2001. It occurred to me that I've redone several of those songs, and want to do some of the others. Others of my new songs fit right in, so it might just be an easy thing to throw together. We'll see how ambitious I remain.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »

I like Ezrin on Berlin, Peter Gabriels first LP and Kiss' 'Destroyer' and 'Music from the Elder' (fantastically underrated album) but nit keen on his Floyd stuff and the rest of it.
I think one day to the next you tend to write depending on whatever mood you're in and what level of 'ambition' you think you can attain. Talking of ambition I recently finished an 8 minute 'epic' for want a of a better word, its on here -
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=630530 - and is at the bottom of the page called 'Growing up is hard to do Part 2', if you can spare the time then have a listen! Though you might hate it!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »

I like what he did on Destroyer, too. And some of his work on the Jayhawks' Smile is nice.

Listening to the epic now. Like the intro.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »

OK, I am almost 3:00 in, and I love this. The vocal harmony arrangement in the 2:00 range or so was just wonderful, and then when the drum kicks in at 2:20, it's a great beat.

Oh, and I should note, "Elder" was my favorite album for a while. I was a teenager, and I don't know if I could stomach it now. But they certainly took a chance on it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »

OK, I admit I wouldn't have gone with two minutes or so of instrumental solos.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:49 AM »

Glad you like it, yes I'm not sure about the solos but I thought if I was going to do something of this ilk I might push it a bit further, the guitar solo is quite restrained but I might cut it down as I don't usually do guitar solos and if I do they're usually a bit more orchestrated - Brian May style! It's not totally finished i'll tinker around with it a bit more!

Yes 'Music from the Elder' was the first Kiss album I heard and it still remains my favourite, i'm astonished how its always written off, the songs are great and though its quite 'fantasy' based if the rest of your rock diet contains Zeppelin, Sabbath, Rainbow, early Queen and early Genesis (as mine did as a teenager, pre-Beach Boys) then it slots right in nicely.
As much as I like listening to it, I did try and write 'fantasy' rock when I was younger, but it was truly awful!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx