gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:37:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS sessions postponed  (Read 17113 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »

Not finding a backer for a live DVD would not prevent the album from being recorded (unless they want somebody like Martin Scorsese to shoot behind-the-scenes footage of the sessions!).

Scorsese!  "We need to re-shoot this whole thing! Where's Brian? ....Brian?"
Conceivably, they might have stopped recording (an expense) if they realized they couldn't release the project as originally intended.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »

If it is released as is, that shouldn't be a problem, providing that the rest of the demos sound as good as what's been posted already on bw.com.  I do hope that Live Let Live isn't the Artic Tale version, but a re-recording using the lyrics from the live show, as not only are the lyrics clunky, but Brian's vocal is kinda...meh. The vocals on the live versions IMHO sound better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:40:35 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

AGD is either cagey or quiet.. He knows + cant say.. Back up  + BREATHE..!!,,,!!1 Some strange stuff comin down... A new masterpiece might bite the dust..!!..Huh...Or press intervention..??.. Either way im NOT holdin my breath.. Got the boots..Its not dead..Just in a holding pattern,,CROSS FINGERS..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Paul
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »

One thing I've learned in the 13 years since I first became a fan is to never assume anything, good bad or in between. I'm at the point now where nothing would surprise me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »

If it is released as is, that shouldn't be a problem, providing that the rest of the demos sound as good as what's been posted already on bw.com.  I do hope that Live Let Live isn't the Artic Tale version, but a re-recording using the lyrics from the live show, as not only are the lyrics clunky, but Brian's vocal is kinda...meh. The vocals on the live versions IMHO sound better.
Aside from when  he tries to hit the really high notes, I absolutely love the Arctic Tale version of Live Let Live, vocally and instrumentally. I like it better than Midnight's Another Day. Hell, I like it better than This Whole World. If nothing else comes of TLOS, at least we got Live Let Live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »

I actually really do like it, but after hearing some of the live versions...no comparison.  And live, he actually can hit the high notes. The song itself is pretty nifty, and in parts reminds of Sail On Sailor.

Who was the producer?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 11:01:24 PM »

Aside from when  he tries to hit the really high notes, I absolutely love the Arctic Tale version of Live Let Live, vocally and instrumentally. I like it better than Midnight's Another Day.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thud

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »

I just think it's a great song. I especially love the line "polarization the talk of the nation explain to me why hearts are turning to warming". And the lead guitar under the chorus (the "there is a roar coming from shore") part is just so wonderful. When I heard Live Let Live for the first time, I thought to myself, wow, Brian's back.

And then to hear the TLOS boots of the song with lines like "Perfect for fish making a wish" and "I've got a notion we come from the ocean" and that guitar line missing... man, I don't know. One of the only lyrics I like in that version is the line "I am a diver a long long survivor", but only because it reminds me of Sail On Sailor.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:33:40 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 05:22:57 AM »

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:23:54 AM by RickD » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »

I'm with Aegir on this: the Arctic Tale version beats the TLOS version. (I'm not with him on liking it more than Midnight's Another day.)

And where do people get this "Brian hits the high notes live" stuff? I think I've heard three or four of the shows, and never has he even remotely consistently hit the high notes in that or any of the other songs. He's game, which is nice, giving it an effort. But he's very rarely hitting them. It's like somebody's mistaking effort for success.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »

Man, with Brian effort IS success!  Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »

True dat.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »

In some senses, sure; but not in terms of hitting a note. I mean, that's a pretty much Y/N question. Once there, you can discuss the timbre question. I'm all for rougher vocals in general if it means none of the slippery cheese, but for a featured note like the one in Live Let Live, you've got to be there, and if you're not, you're not. Liking that he's going for it isn't the same as him making it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »

The music industry is dead.  I don't know why Brian and his "people" can't deal with that, if that's the hold-up.  It gets worse every year.  They need to take the bull by the horns and self-release.  A DVD might not be a bad idea, because it's easier to get money out of people to buy those than CD's.  Obviously, offering it as a download risks having it circulated for free.  If I were the Wilsons, I'd shoot a live DVD, then release it in both Blu-Ray and standard def.   And do it themselves while the iron is a little warm.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »

I prefer the Arctic Tale version compared to the TLOS version and I much prefer the song over MAD!!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2008, 02:51:50 AM »

Obviously, offering it as a download risks having it circulated for free.

Offering it as a CD or a DVD risks having it circulated for free anyway. Releasing a studio version of TLOS on the internet is definitely the way to go!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 02:53:32 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2008, 06:07:54 AM »

Obviously, offering it as a download risks having it circulated for free.

Offering it as a CD or a DVD risks having it circulated for free anyway. Releasing a studio version of TLOS on the internet is definitely the way to go!

You beat me to it - i was going to say the same thing.  It's a few minutes' work to rip a CD and share it on-line; fear of file sharing should not be anybody's reason for not releasing something on-line.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »

If the main reason for the hold-up is indeed record label support, why can't they pull another "Live at the Roxy"?  Release it via BW.com first, and if and when it is successful release it commercially with bonus-tracks?

Self-release is the wave of the future, and I wish that BriMel would recognize that simple fact.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2008, 07:11:02 AM »

I posted about Internet self-release on the blueboard. I think it's a good idea too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2008, 07:52:21 AM »

If making a major impact on the charts or having huge success is what they're waiting for, it might as well be forgotten. Brian Wilson's time for having anyone outside of a relatively small market care about his new work is long, long gone. It was pretty much gone by his first solo album, and that's 20 years ago now. (Oh, I know it got great reviews; I know writers were psyched, but that amounts to BW geeks, not a lot different than the sort of excitement around here.)

So if--if--some sort of concerns about getting a great deal out of the album are the hold-up, I'd say forget it and retire. That won't happen. If Smile couldn't do it, nothing will.

They ought to go the route of everyone else who isn't a 17-26-year-old star-of-the-moment with model's looks and just do it on an interested indie with a major distribution deal. The established crowd is going to buy it anyway, and some of those labels may be able to draw some new fans based on the bands they represent now who are interested (i.e., the Pitchfork set, for lack of a better term). And if there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that those labels have found some working financial model to release hard-copy discs with interesting packaging without breaking the bank. Last year's Okkervil River album, for example, on Jagujaguwar Records, came in a cardboard trifold, double-disc set. Disc 1 was the album, disc 2 was demos of the album, and it had a booklet. Of Montreal's album (Polyvinyl) had great packaging. And there are plenty of others that fit that mold, too. These labels aren't spending nearly as much on the machinery of the majors--a lot more is going into product. And it shows.

If BW goes that route, he'll get the usual established rock press attention because he's Brian Wilson. He might get some hipster interest because he's an aging legend (hell, p4k even interviewed Macca on his last release). Sales will be mediocre (relative to his past) regardless, but at least he can get another respected, respectable album out there (and likely turn a little profit).

Hell, he's better off than most musicians. At least he doesn't have to go back to a day job between albums and tours like most of the bands I listen to these days. 

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2008, 01:21:54 PM »

The only logical reasons for the sessions to be postponed:

1) The material, songwriting-wise, is not complete according to Brian.

2) There is a scheduling conflict between Brian and other band members.

3) Brian wishes to devote his time to something other than recording.

4) Ill health.

I really don't think money would be an issue as far as holding the sessions. Since TLOS has already been rehearsed and performed, Brian, the band and the Stockholm Strings and Horns should be able to knock out the backing tracks in a matter of days with another couple of weeks for vocals and mixing. I think Brian could afford that out of his own pocket.

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

4) Not that I'm aware.

Hey AGD, obviously if you can't reveal info then you can't reveal info.  But do you actually know why That Lucky Old Sun has been delayed/scrapped?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »

The only logical reasons for the sessions to be postponed:

1) The material, songwriting-wise, is not complete according to Brian.

2) There is a scheduling conflict between Brian and other band members.

3) Brian wishes to devote his time to something other than recording.

4) Ill health.

I really don't think money would be an issue as far as holding the sessions. Since TLOS has already been rehearsed and performed, Brian, the band and the Stockholm Strings and Horns should be able to knock out the backing tracks in a matter of days with another couple of weeks for vocals and mixing. I think Brian could afford that out of his own pocket.

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

4) Not that I'm aware.

Hey AGD, obviously if you can't reveal info then you can't reveal info.  But do you actually know why That Lucky Old Sun has been delayed/scrapped?

No.

Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:51 AM »

Interesting that someone who doesn't know me at all well has such intimate knowledge of my sources of information in the BB/BW world.

Ignore the man behind the curtain.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2008, 02:30:49 AM »

Interesting that someone who doesn't know me at all well has such intimate knowledge of my sources of information in the BB/BW world.

Ignore the man behind the curtain.

I suspect it's because the information's source is unattributed and, regrettably, therefore inadmissible. Tantalising, as ever, but inadmissible.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »

Ah, so not giving the name of my source(s) makes my information (and by association, me) unreliable. Thanks for the vote of confidence in my honesty and veracity.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx