gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS sessions postponed  (Read 17077 times)
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »

Hopefully it's been shelved in favor of the inevitable BB reunion gig.  I'm sure the lawyer$ are workin' round the clock to make it happen (even though many BB fans are not interested in a reunion gig).

You keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at.  Cool

Much stranger things have happened in the BB world. And make sure you bring your fork and spoon to the show.....
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 04:39:08 PM »

I thought that 2008 was panning out too well.

POB and new Brian Wilson?  ...perhaps we're simply not allowed both!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »

Yeah, im not seeing anything from that link....
hmm
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

Brian is playing a three-night gig at the Hollywood Bowl in September (complete with fireworks).  Maybe he's postponing recording it in order to debut it there, either as a kick-off to promote it, or to get interest for someone else to fund it and release it?  Considering all the real estate he's been trying to sell lately, how hard real estate is to sell right now, and the fact he's trying to open a restaurant chain, maybe the money isn't there to record it the way he wants it.
SG7
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »

It looks like the post has been deleted. Makes you wonder...
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »

Shocked  those posts are GONE........hmmmm...wonder why............................

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »

Odd...

On a related subject, MOD and FSBMSG are no longer available as free preview links on the Blue Board.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:45:15 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »

Of course, on the other hand, the Hollywood Bowl gig is advertised as being "summer classics."  Maybe they've given up on Brian having a recording career for new material, at least for the time being.  Or Brian himself has.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »

Dear God I hope not...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »

Does AGD's MIND GANGSTERS have anything to do with this??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »

Nope.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 06:13:11 AM »

Maybe they've given up on Brian having a recording career for new material, at least for the time being.  Or Brian himself has.

Well I would highly doubt it (unless it's Brian himself who has made the decision, which is possible) as that would just be stupid. I mean Brian releases GIOMH which is on the whole re-recordings/re-hashed Brian material and then of course we had BWPS which Brian had very little to do with (meaning that most of it was done in the 60's and what was created for BWPS was basically the work of others from what I've read)..

Brian over the last couple of years has basically just turned out a couple of songs every so often (eg: the new christmas songs he wrote) I mean why would the the band or whoever give up on Brian recording new material? It's the first time in a long time that he's come up with one cohesive complete work with a few pieces here and there that have been taken from old works but it appears (from most people's opinions and reviews etc..) that this is his best work in years, why would they just "give up" on Brian? I know you were only saying it as a possibility but I just don't think its very likely.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »

I'm looking forward to hearing a released version as well, but I don't think it's Brian's health or willingness to do the album which is the source of the delay.

The music industry seems to be in a crisis. As people have said before, Brian and his management have to consider whether it will be possible to promote and manufacture an album in a worthwhile way without the backing of a major. The fact he appeared on a Target CD as part of a compilation previously would seem to indicate that Brian's career is being affected by the harsh economic realities. In the sense of having a keen following, but not a large following, he is more of a "cult" artist

As well as that, I'm not absolutely sure the set of songs are entirely finished.

So it sounds to me, as a hunch, that economic reasons are behind this. At some point, I'd at least like a DVD from a live/tweaked performance released. Maybe it would be enough?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »

To me it doesn't look like anything to freak out over. Pacific Ocean Blue is coming out. Brian is going to give it a chance to breathe a bit (as it were) before releasing TLOS.

Thats how this fool sees things anyhoo.  Cool Guy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

To me it doesn't look like anything to freak out over. Pacific Ocean Blue is coming out. Brian is going to give it a chance to breathe a bit (as it were) before releasing TLOS.

Thats how this fool sees things anyhoo.  Cool Guy

I'd be very surprised if Brian, or anyone in his team, knew much (if anything) about the POB/Bambu project.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »

The only logical reasons for the sessions to be postponed:

1) The material, songwriting-wise, is not complete according to Brian.

2) There is a scheduling conflict between Brian and other band members.

3) Brian wishes to devote his time to something other than recording.

4) Ill health.

I really don't think money would be an issue as far as holding the sessions. Since TLOS has already been rehearsed and performed, Brian, the band and the Stockholm Strings and Horns should be able to knock out the backing tracks in a matter of days with another couple of weeks for vocals and mixing. I think Brian could afford that out of his own pocket.

Just because the record industry is in bad shape or PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE is being reissued should not be a reason to postpone the recording of an album, only the eventual release of it.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »

Huh.

Well all I can add to this is Darian asked for his glockenspeil, which I had borrowed several months ago, for a BW session about three weeks ago.  It got postponed at the last minute, but we returned the glock anyway, last week, assuming he'd need it sooner or later.  Wish I'd read this thread first...I really liked having that glock around!!!!  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

The only logical reasons for the sessions to be postponed:

1) The material, songwriting-wise, is not complete according to Brian.

2) There is a scheduling conflict between Brian and other band members.

3) Brian wishes to devote his time to something other than recording.

4) Ill health.

I really don't think money would be an issue as far as holding the sessions. Since TLOS has already been rehearsed and performed, Brian, the band and the Stockholm Strings and Horns should be able to knock out the backing tracks in a matter of days with another couple of weeks for vocals and mixing. I think Brian could afford that out of his own pocket.

1) No.

2) No.

3) No.

4) Not that I'm aware.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »

Maybe the new sessions have been cancelled because Brian/The Band realised that the demos are good enough to be released?

I like the minimal productions we've been hearing recently. Maybe a couple of 'sweetening' vocal sessions are required and then it's done...?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »

Maybe the new sessions have been cancelled because Brian/The Band realised that the demos are good enough to be released?

I like the minimal productions we've been hearing recently. Maybe a couple of 'sweetening' vocal sessions are required and then it's done...?

Ya think ?  Roll Eyes

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

Oh man Andrew, you and your insider-ness is so confusing to me sometimes.

Either Loaf's right, or my theory is that Melinda got in a fight with Scott Bennet, and that's why TLOS isn't going to be released.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »

Since when did "postponed" turn into "isn't going to be released"? On the blueboard someone said it's because they want to release a live DVD and can't find a backer.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »

We should be on Point/Counterpoint.

You can be Tucker Carlson and wear the bowtie.

Tucker Carlson   Evil

Me    angel

Doesn't work. You can be Tucker Carlson. And we'll bring in Jon Stewart for good measure.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

Since when did "postponed" turn into "isn't going to be released"? On the blueboard someone said it's because they want to release a live DVD and can't find a backer.

Not finding a backer for a live DVD would not prevent the album from being recorded (unless they want somebody like Martin Scorsese to shoot behind-the-scenes footage of the sessions!).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

We should be on Point/Counterpoint.

You can be Tucker Carlson and wear the bowtie.

Tucker Carlson   Evil

Me    angel

Doesn't work. You can be Tucker Carlson. And we'll bring in Jon Stewart for good measure.

I don't want to be Tucker Carlson, either. Maybe we'll just have Counterpoint/Counterpoint.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx