gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:28:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chronology of Dennis Wilson's recordings with the Beach Boys/pre-POB solo work  (Read 21858 times)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »

Sheriff John, I feel Mike didn't want to f--- with the formula, as he has said so many times, that to include anything that Dennis did, would mess with the formula.Plus, why would Mike want Dennis to get attention?? In reading Jon's book, it just seems to me that Dennis was put back so many times by the band while trying to get a solo career going, that he lost confidence. He wanted to keep the band happy at his own expense., so he put his own solo career on the back burner to keep the band happy. I think Mike had alot to do with that. I still to this day, feel that Mike had a holier than thou attitude because he didn't drink or do drugs. I also think that Mike wants to be the head honch. First Brian left, then Dennis dies, then Carl. So who was left? Al. Look what he did to AL??? I never have liked Mike and I never will. I saw Mike's band last year, and got backstage. I got up to Mike to get an autograph and say thanks for the music. He didn't say ANYTHING to me at all. No thanks for coming to the show, thanks for being a fan, kiss my butt, nothing. Needless to say, I pitched the autograph!! I just don't think the guy has a heart and never has. He is out for himself and always has been. That's the way I feel, right or wrong babe!!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

Between '68 and '73, Dennis was second only to Brian in the amount of songwriting credits.

Funny facts.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »

I got up to Mike to get an autograph and say thanks for the music. He didn't say ANYTHING to me at all. No thanks for coming to the show, thanks for being a fan, kiss my butt, nothing.

I had that same experience with Brian....
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

Sorry John, but if it were me trying to get an autograph from Brian, I would be too speechless to even say thanks!!! With Mike, he's just full of himself, with Brian, I would understand. He was probably writing music in his head while signing the autograph!! Still, lucky you for getting one and being that close!!!!! Shocked
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

Sorry John, but if it were me trying to get an autograph from Brian, I would be too speechless to even say thanks!!! With Mike, he's just full of himself, with Brian, I would understand. He was probably writing music in his head while signing the autograph!! Still, lucky you for getting one and being that close!!!!! Shocked
This is clearly a series of biased anti-Mike, pro-Brian statements. Same behavior from both, but Brian has an excuse.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »

If Brian was writing music in his head each time he signs an autograph without saying anything, he'd have made a shitload of solo albums by now!  Roll Eyes

I actually managed to exchange a few words with him, but most other people present that night didn't even get a "hello". And I think that's *wrong*, because even if he's tired after a show (I can understand that), as an artist performing live he somehow *owes* it to his fans. It's called courtesy! (the same comment goes for Mike, of course)

I'm tired of "fans" finding excuses for Brian when he clearly has the same behaviour as Mike.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »

If Brian was writing music in his head each time he signs an autograph without saying anything, he'd have made a merdaload of solo albums by now!  Roll Eyes

I actually managed to exchange a few words with him, but most other people present that night didn't even get a "hello". And I think that's *wrong*, because even if he's tired after a show (I can understand that), as an artist performing live he somehow *owes* it to his fans. It's called courtesy! (the same comment goes for Mike, of course)

I'm tired of "fans" finding excuses for Brian when he clearly has the same behaviour as Mike.

Maybe, but in Brian's case, I think the lyric from a certain recent song of his says it best:  "All these voices...all these memories...make me feel like stone...all these people...make me feel so alone".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »

Maybe, but in Brian's case, I think the lyric from a certain recent song of his says it best:  "All these voices...all these memories...make me feel like stone...all these people...make me feel so alone".

Fine, but it's Scott saying it.

These recent posts, just like 75% of the others on BBs related sites, are just each of us speaking based on our own impressions of (however incomplete or inaccurate they are) or wishes for (however unreasonable they are) people we don't know as if we did know them. Albums, interviews, books of varying quality, and worse, "common knowledge," all so woefully inadequate sources by which to judge people as people.

What's wrong with "I like
  • 's songs best"? Why does that have to become "[X] was an angel and [Y] a piece of sh*t"?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

...about Brian.   Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59:55 PM »

...about Brian.   Smiley

I know. But I could write a song saying "Brian is doesn't even talk to his fans / what a crazy fucking prick / he should go back to bed." Somebody out there can relate to it. It doesn't make it true. People have long-since been writing lyrics as if they're from Brian. And sometimes people assume they're some great revelation into his soul. But these people are professional songwriters, and they're just trying to write good songs. I mean, Landy sure got plenty of those intimate looks from Brian's true thoughts, right? Same thing, right?

(Just being difficult here for my own amusement, in case you can't tell.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »

Luther, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We don't know these guys even tho their music has been with us for years. I think as you say, we like to THINK we know them, but really we can only believe what we experience.
In my case with Mike, he will stare at you for the longest time from stage, but when I got backstage, which was just a case of luck, he was very friendly to some children who came back and took pictures with him, and other fans. I waited my turn, and when it was my turn, I said "Mr. Love, thanks for the great music over all of these years!" while he was signing my program. As I said before, he didn't say sh--. NOTHING. Then just walked away. What was with that?Huh? Maybe, he felt the vibes that I'm a diehard Dennis fan. I love the Beach Boys, but have really never liked Mike. I just feel he really believes he is a god. Not!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:24 AM »

hm, I thought this discussion was on DW and his recordings, instead of BW/ML autographs and ego's...  Roll Eyes

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »

hm, I thought this discussion was on DW and his recordings, instead of BW/ML autographs and ego's...  Roll Eyes

Instead it's the first ever instance of a thread on this board going off topic.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:47:29 AM by Luther » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »

Instead it's the first ever[/i] instance of a thread on this board going off topic.

LOL

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »

Time to resurrect this thread from January.

With what has been released and what's in the vaults, it would make a very nice two disc set in the format of POB/Bambu. 

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2008, 06:01:15 AM »

Yes.  With the success of the POB rerelease - for a reissue of an only marginally successful album from the 70's, in this era of collapsing CD sales - Capitol should jump on the bandwagon with a "Best of Dennis Wilson with the Beach Boys" (with the Beach Boys in small print, but would have to be included or Mike would sue) single or double CD, with the best of his BB tracks mixed in with unreleased solo tracks from the 69-74 era.  Dennis has proven he can sell CD's, I"m sure POB has outsold the singles box many times over.  So let's exploit that and get more Dennis stuff out!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

Amen to that babe!!!!  Now that Brian is back with Capitol, I feel that they will try to milk all they can out of the guy and try to make up for lost time (and revenue). Putting out the box set was not what I had hoped for (also did not buy).

More Dennis is what I want, but should just be very thankful for what we got last month. Truly a beautiful thing!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »

Thanks to the resurrection of this thread, I am reminded of how awesome I was in Feb. '08. And obviously, I had no recollection of any of it. Demon wine.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »

Yes.  With the success of the POB rerelease - for a reissue of an only marginally successful album from the 70's, in this era of collapsing CD sales - Capitol should jump on the bandwagon with a "Best of Dennis Wilson with the Beach Boys" (with the Beach Boys in small print, but would have to be included or Mike would sue) single or double CD, with the best of his BB tracks mixed in with unreleased solo tracks from the 69-74 era.  Dennis has proven he can sell CD's, I"m sure POB has outsold the singles box many times over.  So let's exploit that and get more Dennis stuff out!

I don't mind having all of Dennis' released Beach Boys tracks on a compilation/box set, as long as its not at the expense of excluding previously unreleased stuff.  In other words - I'd rather have a set filled with 25 unreleased songs and none of the released stuff rather than 16 previously (and currently available) Dennis/BBs tracks and a mere 9 from the vaults. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »

If there were just the one archive track, and it was "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", no complaints from this quarter.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »

Sheriff John, I feel Mike didn't want to f--- with the formula, as he has said so many times, that to include anything that Dennis did, would mess with the formula.Plus, why would Mike want Dennis to get attention?? In reading Jon's book, it just seems to me that Dennis was put back so many times by the band while trying to get a solo career going, that he lost confidence. He wanted to keep the band happy at his own expense., so he put his own solo career on the back burner to keep the band happy. I think Mike had alot to do with that. I still to this day, feel that Mike had a holier than thou attitude because he didn't drink or do drugs. I also think that Mike wants to be the head honch. First Brian left, then Dennis dies, then Carl. So who was left? Al. Look what he did to AL??? I never have liked Mike and I never will. I saw Mike's band last year, and got backstage. I got up to Mike to get an autograph and say thanks for the music. He didn't say ANYTHING to me at all. No thanks for coming to the show, thanks for being a fan, kiss my butt, nothing. Needless to say, I pitched the autograph!! I just don't think the guy has a heart and never has. He is out for himself and always has been. That's the way I feel, right or wrong babe!!

See, you've highlighted one of the main problems with Mike's role in the 'history of the Beach Boys"

You bring up feeling this way and that about Mike based upon reading Jon's book. Even though I loved the book and consider it the BEST written on the Beach Boys, Jon still couldn't avoid the trap of having instant sympathy for Dennis/Brian on any and all mistakes or messed up things they might have done, yet he has little sympathy or respect for Mike's actions. He's a lot nicer on Mike than most writers, but things are still skewed in Dennis' and Brian's favor. But then again, it's a bio of Dennis, so it;s only fair.

To quote Sherrif Jon Stone, Mike just can't win. If I were him I'd be an assshole too

Look: Dennis was a bad guy in a lot of ways. I hate to say it. Cheating/underage girls, and he punched out/beat up Mike on at least a couple of occasions. How would you feel about someone like that who you had to deal with on  a daily/professional basis? I have a feeling there would be some...... tension.... to say the least.

Of course Dennis had another side. Of course. And we all love him for it. But put yourself in Mike's shoes for a minute or so.

Has anyone head the recording of "I've Got A Friend" where Mike introduces it as one fo his favorite songs written by anyone ever?

So, I assume it was Mike who prevented the band from ever recording it, right? I mean, it just had to be Mike, right?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:40:49 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »

Jon is very fair  to Mike in the David Marks book.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »

I know. I just realized I was thinking about "Catch A Wave"
MBE
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »

Catch A Wave does present Mike's side at least. I think you're right about the slant overall but I thought Carl got the worst of it in that book.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »

Has anyone head the recording of "I've Got A Friend" where Mike introduces it as one fo his favorite songs written by anyone ever?

So, I assume it was Mike who prevented the band from ever recording it, right? I mean, it just had to be Mike, right?

Was recorded - well, the track, anyway, during Dennis' 1971 solo sessions. Sadly, no vocals known to exist. The track is a snorter.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx