gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:49:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about the 1978 Austrailian recordings/films  (Read 10907 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »

From what I understand, there are at least two recordings from the Austrailian tour that are circulating. There are also at least two films that exist. Only one is circulating. I have a few questions about them. There is one concert that is being traded with I believe the label of "Perth, Februrary 14 1978". This recording is almost the complete concert. "Country Pie" cuts in a few seconds after the start. During this concert, Carl is pretty obviously drunk/stoned. But he does rather well considering his condition. There is also a recording that is being traded, but most people seem to have only two songs from that particular show. On this recording, Carl is VERY drunk/stoned, and sings quite poorly. Out of the two recordings I just mentioned, the best way to identify them is by the version of "Good Vibrations". On the recording where Carl is VERY drunk/stoned, he drags out the "audience participation" section for quite some time. Brian then attempts to bring the song back into cohesion by doing the "hum be da" chant. On most copies of this tape, GV fades out while it's still being played. Now, there is also a film that is circulating, that is clearly not either of the two shows I mentioned above. My questions are, is there any way we can DIFINITIVELY date each of these recordings/films? Is the recording where Carl is VERY drunk circulating as the complete concert? Do only two songs from this show exist on tape?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:06:09 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »

Oh wow, Brian singing the "hum be da" part in 1978? I'd like to hear that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »

I believe that the film footage that makes the rounds and is on Youtube (in parts) was filmed in Melbourne-where the group played on March 8 and 9 1978- prior to Perth. Not sure which night was filmed though.  As you can see-Carl had problems that whole ill-fated tour.  After Melbourne, the group played in Adelaide-then Perth for two nights (14, 15) and then two shows in Sydney (18 and 19).  Carl held a press conf in Perth after that infamous show and apologized to the Australian fans.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »

I have a set of homemade audio CDs that (supposedly) feature three complete Australian shows.  One of them has a part between songs where Carl apologizes to the audience about his drunken condition on a previous night... though he still sounds sloshed even as he apologizes.  The three shows are identified on the covers (keep in mind these dates could be very very wrong)

1.  Perth, Western Australia Cricket Ground, Feb 14 1978.
2.  Brisbane, March 3 1978.
3.  Melbourne, 1978, no specific date given.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »

Those dates are wrong mostly- All my dates are correct I think (I had to go to the library and look through a bunch of Australian newspapers to get them). Basic tour details- Feb 26 1978 BBs in Auckland (I think this was the first date of the tour- they were in Vegas on Feb 17). Feb 28 in Christchurch.
March 2 1978-The BBs arrived in Australia and held a big press conference-I have a very long article about this- Brian stayed about 10 minutes and then split.  March 3-7 the BBs played in Brisbane-5 concerts. I have a few articles about this and a concert review.  Mar 8 and 9 Melbourne. Positively no doubt. Have copy of concert poster.  Mar 12-Adelaide (not sure if they played any other nights there). Perth was indeed March 14 and 15-without any doubt.  Carl's public apology was in the Sydney papers on March 16. The show organizers returned 2,000 dollars to upset fans.  Carl promised it wouldn't happen again.  Sydney was the 18th- supposed to be the tour-ender, but due to demand they added a day show on Mar 19.  I have reviews of both shows.   The BBs then left Australia and played in Hawaii on Mar 20 and 21.  The next tour-a USA south-west tour started on Apr 14 1978
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »

First up BIG THANKS to Stephen McParland for his assistance in putting the following information together - especially concerning the concert dates. 1978 Australian tour dates:

1st March 1978: Arrived in Sydney.
2nd March 1978: National News Conference, Boulevade Hotel Sydney.
3rd March 1978: Depart Sydney.
5th March 1978: Brisbane Concert
8th March 1978: Melbourne Concert. Myer Music Bowl.
9th March 1978: Melbourne Concert. Myer Music Bowl.
12th March 1978: Adelaide Concert.
14th March 1978: Perth Concert. Perth Entertainment Centre
15th March 1978: Perth Concert. Perth Entertainment Centre
16th March 1978: Arrive back in Sydney.
17th March 1978: Gold Record Presentation at Sebel Townhouse
18th March 1978: Sydney Concert. Sydney Sporstground.
19th March 1978: Sydney Concert. Sydney Sportsground.

10th May 1978: Broadcast on the Seven Network of a section of the March 9th Melbourne show.

Prior to the arrival of the Beach Boys in Australia they played a couple of concerts in New Zealand.

NOTE: Somebody please finally record this information for posterity (I will send info the Eric Anniversario).

To clarify the original question:

The two tracks of God Only Knows and Good Vibration where Carl is very "drunk" were from the March 14 Perth show. These two tracks were booted on the Lei'd In Hawaii (Vigotone) boot in 1994 but the tracks were mistakenly listed as "Live in Sydney February 13 1978".

The full concert where Carl is still "under the weather" is from the March 15 Perth Show at the Perth Entertainmnet Centre. The show was booted on the "Surfin' Down Under" boot on Rock Calendar Records in 1993 - On the boot the show is again mistakenly credited as "Live in Perth, Western Australia Cricket Ground. February 14 1978" - venue and date are both incorrect.

The TV footage is from the March 9th show from the Myer Nusic Bowl show in Melbourne. The footage was aired on Australian TV on the Seven Network on May 10 1978.

The March 5 Brisbane Show as far as I know has not been "officially booted" but copies are doing the collectors circuit.

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

Hey Ian - looks like you and I were cross checking facts and posting away at the same time - I was unaware that there were so many concerts in Brisbane - seems unusual that there were 5 and I certainly don't recall that from the time - still happy to be wrong if we can finally confirm dates and put it all to rest. I attended the two Sydney shows.

I have a cassette tape of the 1978 Australian tour with all the news reports of the Perth debacle and the press conferences - including a very long interview with Dennis where he discuss with the editor of Tracks surfing magazine about surfing and music - really interesting. Ill try to get copies made in the next few weeks and start circulating them.

Anyhow - good to see we are in general agreement about dates!!! Finally!!!
MBE
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »

I would love to hear that, and also read scans of the articles. This tour has always fascinated me.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

Thanks a lot Ian and TonyW!  Grin Ian, would you be willing to "transcribe" that article about the March 2nd press conference, and post it? I would love to read it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »

The two tracks of God Only Knows and Good Vibration where Carl is very "drunk" were from the March 14 Perth show. These two tracks were booted on the Lei'd In Hawaii (Vigotone) boot in 1994 but the tracks were mistakenly listed as "Live in Sydney February 13 1978".
This is the recording I'm the most curios about. This was the show where Carl "passed out", right? Are there any songs besides the two mentioned above that are circulating? I'd LOVE to hear more.  Wink

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »

This is the recording I'm the most curios about. This was the show where Carl "passed out", right? Are there any songs besides the two mentioned above that are circulating? I'd LOVE to hear more.  Wink

Yes the two tracks from the Perth show on the 14th are from the show where Carl "passed out" - fell into the drums if I recall correctly.

I have not heard any more from the actual March 14th show - I have seen people post that they have heard the March 14 show - however this could be confusion caused by the Surfin Down Under boot having the March 14 date when it actually the March 15 show.

There may be copies of the Match 14 show in circulation and if anybody has actually A & B'ed the March 14 and 15 shows and can confirm they are different shows then that would be good. Please speak up and clear the confusion!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45:56 AM »

I recall either reading or being told that Carl fell into the drumset during "Darlin'". I've always assumed that this was different from when he "passed out" though. I have read that at one point during the show, the rest of the band made Carl leave the stage. But, Carl sang Good Vibrations at the show, so I don't know if that story is true or not.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »

I recall either reading or being told that Carl fell into the drumset during "Darlin'". I've always assumed that this was different from when he "passed out" though. I have read that at one point during the show, the rest of the band made Carl leave the stage. But, Carl sang Good Vibrations at the show, so I don't know if that story is true or not.
Can anybody help me out with this?

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:09 PM »

Can anybody help me out with this?

Inquries are currently being made to try to get a first hand account of what happened. Excuse the Australianisim but "it's 30 bloody years ago!" and back then Perth wan't exactly a bloody big town!

My recollection from media reports at the time - and I was in Sydney - was that Carl did not "pass out" more just that he was pretty "farked up".

Also keep in mind that on that tour band members came and went from the stage during the show at a rapid rate and that "Carl was made to leave the stage by the band members" could well have been just an uninformed journalists interpretation of what was a pretty strange time for the band.

Wheels are in motion to try to get some answers.

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:53 AM »

Okay, we have found somebody who was at both Perth shows. Richard Marr (AKA Zac) has emailed me with some details - hopefull Richard will be registered on the board in a short while and will be able to join the discussion himself - finally SOMEBODY WHO WAS THERE!!

Here is the body of Zac's email to me:

"Yeah, I was there. Carl said on the TV news the next night apologetically that he must have had too many Mai Tais before the concert!!!!!!

I saw three concerts and they were all great to me. That’s the year my son was born and I remember it really well. About 10% of the audience (wowsers) left. There were 15 musicians on stage and covered the mistakes of Carl well. Brian was at that stage where he just wandered around on and off the stage, especially during an extended version of “All This Is That”.

I remember “Country Pie” and “Lady Linda” particularly.

Even before the lights came on Carl was  audible and I suspected that he was “not normal ie pissed! Or stoned."

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »

Tony- I'll check my articles-but I am pretty positive that thje group played multiple nights in Brisbane- making it their base till they went to Melbourne-
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »

Tony-I found a poster that advertised the BBs at Festival Hall in Brisbane on Friday March 3 1978 and Saturday March 4 1978. It's possible that more shows were added after the poster was printed- but that is at least two nights
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »

Hi Ian - we have a case of mistaken identity here! I thought the Ian posting on this thread was Ian Parsons from Brisbane - D'oh!

Ian Parsons will be a good source of what happened in Brisbane so i will get in contact with him and see if he can clarify shows and dates.

FYI: In 1978 the three biggest cities in Oz were Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - even then in the late 70s Sydney and Melbourne were quite urban cities but Brisbane was still a big country town - it has since transformed into Bris Vegas. At the time the venue capacity in each city where the Boys played were:

Sydney Sports Ground - capacity 30,000
Myer Music Bowl Melbourne - capacity 30,000
Festival Hall Brisbane - capacity 4,000

So yes it is quite possible Brisbane had to add extra shows to meet demand because the Festival Hall venue was so small. I'll conract Ian P and see what he has - Ian's a collector so I'm sure he'll have the info at his finger tips.

Also for your info - the Sydney show on Sunday, March 19 at the Sydney Sports Ground was a mess as it poured rain - I mean it poured rain in a biblical sense - "get the Ark!!".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »

Hi Tony- I went and looked thru my materials- a Full page article in the Sydney paper on March 11 1978 mentioned that Brian caught a flu bug in New Zealand-and only played two full shows of the five Brisbane shows (he only played part of the Saturday Brisbane show that was reviewed in the Sydney papers). So the article states that the group played 5 shows there. Based on the poster I have-which was probably made before their visit-they initially were to play on Mar 3 and 4. If three more shows were added-then they probably played on Mar 5, 6 and 7th as well. This would tie in well-with their next attested apps-in Melbourne on Mar 8 and 9- for which again I have posters.  I know abou the Mar 19 rainy show-I have a review of it from the Sydney papers.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »

Thanks a lot for the info!  Grin So, the recording of "God Only Knows", and "Good Vibrations" where Carl is REALLY out of it are from the 14th show? I'm still curios, do any more songs exist on tape besides these two songs? The two songs mentioned above usually took place at very different points during Beach Boys concerts. For only these two songs to exist is pretty odd.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »

Okay, we have found somebody who was at both Perth shows. Richard Marr (AKA Zac) has emailed me with some details - hopefull Richard will be registered on the board in a short while and will be able to join the discussion himself - finally SOMEBODY WHO WAS THERE!!

"Yeah, I was there. Carl said on the TV news the next night apologetically that he must have had too many Mai Tais before the concert!!!!!!

I saw three concerts and they were all great to me. That’s the year my son was born and I remember it really well. About 10% of the audience (wowsers) left. There were 15 musicians on stage and covered the mistakes of Carl well. Brian was at that stage where he just wandered around on and off the stage, especially during an extended version of “All This Is That”.

Even before the lights came on Carl was  audible and I suspected that he was “not normal ie pissed! Or stoned."

Wait a minute. Carl's "apology press conference" was actually broadcast on tv? I hope somebody has a copy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

More than just Mai Tais, unless they started making them with heroin.

They were already performing Lady Lynda by that point, despite LA Light not coming out until the following year? Can someone please confirm?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 09:51:33 PM »

They were already performing Lady Lynda by that point, despite LA Light not coming out until the following year? Can someone please confirm?

Confirmed - most definately played Lady Linda. Heard it with my own ears, saw it with my own eyes and its on the Surfin' Down Under boot to prove it!!

Also - and this really has been overlooked for years - this was the tour where, as far as I know, the Good Vibrations hum de dahs version was played live for the first time (at all shows).
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »

Wait a minute. Carl's "apology press conference" was actually broadcast on tv? I hope somebody has a copy.

... cough, cough ...

... ummm ... this was 1979 ... Fred Flinstone's monkey couldn't chip away at the moving rock quick enough to record it ...

... in other words unless you owned a TV station is Australia in '79 you didn't own a video tape recorder. So check with Rupert Murdoch, he might have a copy gathering dust in the back of an old cupboard!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:05 PM »

That's pretty cool. How did it sound at the show, and how did a (then-) unreleased song go over with the rest of the crowd?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx