gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:58:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: vega-tables versions?  (Read 2620 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »

im a little confused on which version of vega-tables smile 67 era Brian wanted to use. In the smiley smile/ wild honey 2fer cds that version in the booklet it says the "I know you feel better" section at the end they used the smile version but on the 30 years of good vibrations box set the ending is different on vega-tables. unless they used a different version on the box set how accurate are the smile songs on there?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »

the GV Boxed set version (original smile version) ends on 'bop, bop, a-ree-bop'  in a heroes and villains feel

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
XY
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »

the GV Boxed set version (original smile version)

No no no, that version was created for the boxset. "Wonderful", "Wind Chimes" & "Heroes & Villains" on the box are original mixes, if i'm not mistaken.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »

THe GV box set version was put together by Mark Linnett (and David Leaf) from the Vegetables sessions in April 67 - on the Sea of Tunes boot you can hear the sessions and some mono mixes of the sections done by Brian in 67.  It's their interpretation of how Brian intended the song to go.  The "I know" a capella part came from an earlier session and is on a March 67 tape (along with the cornucopia version from November 66? and a "child is father of the man" secion, which appears on Sea of Tunes as well).

The "Fade to Vegetables" was recorded at the April sessions and was intended to end the song, but we don't have any Smile era mixes with that fade included.  I didn't like the cross fade used on the box set, as Brian wasn't doing any cross fades at that time - it would have been a straight edit.

I think the version from BWPS is closest to what Brian would have released in early 67 - but it would have ended with the "Fade."
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »

thanks what about the other smile songs on the box set it that a mix that Brian himself did and thats the farthest he's gotten with those songs?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:14:08 PM »

thanks what about the other smile songs on the box set it that a mix that Brian himself did and thats the farthest he's gotten with those songs?

As I recall I think most of the other mixes on the box set are Brian mixes...I'm almost positive that "Heroes and Villaains" (cantina mix), "Wonderful", "Wind Chimes", "Worms" and "Dada" were all mixed by Brian during the Smile sessions.  Obviously Cabinessence and Prayer are the released versions. 

I think "Vega-Tables" was the only track where they took some liberties with the editing, and even then (as others have said) Linett was just following what was probably Brian's intended sequence anyways.  I actually kinda like the crossfade into the fade, even though I agree that Brian wouldn't have done it that way.  I can't really picture a hard edit working there, but I'm sure he would have made it work.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »

Obviously Cabinessence and Prayer are the released versions.

If you're talking about the box set versions, wasn't that version of Our Prayer slightly different in that it had less overdubs than the 20/20 version?
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »

As I recall I think most of the other mixes on the box set are Brian mixes...I'm almost positive that "Heroes and Villaains" (cantina mix), "Wonderful", "Wind Chimes", "Worms" and "Dada" were all mixed by Brian during the Smile sessions.  Obviously Cabinessence and Prayer are the released versions. 

I think "Vega-Tables" was the only track where they took some liberties with the editing, and even then (as others have said) Linett was just following what was probably Brian's intended sequence anyways.  I actually kinda like the crossfade into the fade, even though I agree that Brian wouldn't have done it that way.  I can't really picture a hard edit working there, but I'm sure he would have made it work.
"Do You Like Worms" and "I Love To Say Da Da" are Mark Linett mixes as well. "Do You Like Worms" has a lot of background/studio noise cleaned up and "I Love To Say Da Da" is basically Part 1 and 2 edited together. Basically what a Brian mix would have been. "Our Prayer" is the original '66 take, without the 1968 overdubs. Also, I may be wrong, but "Wind Chimes" is an edit too. I don't think Brian ever got around to editing out the count-in between the verses and the chorus, but, again, basically what Brian would have done.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »

Obviously Cabinessence and Prayer are the released versions.

If you're talking about the box set versions, wasn't that version of Our Prayer slightly different in that it had less overdubs than the 20/20 version?

Yes you are right about that, my bad...thanks for the correction. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx