gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:46:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I wrote a fugue  (Read 4142 times)
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2006, 05:22:53 AM »

I don't have an actual recording, since I haven't learned to play it yet, but I made a midi file (so obviously the articulation, dynamics, etc. aren't as they should be). It's written for piano (and yes, it is possible to play, at least I think...) and has four voices. I can't post sheet music since my notation software won't do polyphonic scores, so I had to do each voice separately. PLEASE offer any criticism. I've never written something like this before, and I don't know if there are certain rules, etc. you have to follow when writing a fugue.

http://www.thefilehut.com/userfiles/adrianf/fugue.mid

If the above link doesn't work, try this:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=13956
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 09:02:46 AM by NimrodsSon » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »

since my notation software won't do polyphonic scores, so I had to do each voice separately.

Mine either. So annoying.

Your piece sounds great, though i'm not up on any "rules" that this sort of thing has. To my ears it sounds great, and no rules should limit that.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:03:35 PM »

Haven't listened yet, but there are most definitely rules you must follow when writing a fugue!  It's a sort of a round...and it's been 25 years since i've had a theory class, so i don't remember them...but there are rules.  Should be easy to find...and even if your piece doesn't follow them, it's still your composition - hooray for you!!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »

Yeah, I guess I should have said I don't know ALL the rules for writing fugues, as there obviously are plenty of them. I guess i'm mainly wondering if ths piece technically fits the description of a fugue.  It's got the repeating subject and everything, but I don't know if there are more precise rules about spacing, measure numbers, etc.. As I've been looking over it today, I'm wondering if perhaps it is lacking a bit in focus and direction, if I went a bit too heavy on the eighth notes, and also whether or not I should lengthen it a bit. I believe it's some forty-six or so bars in cut time. Maybe someone could provide input in those three areas specifically, as well as any other criticisms.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:56:21 PM »

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for good notation software that is CHEAP, easy to use, allows AT LEAST 30 staves (mine allows up to 16, which, of course, works fine for solo piano stuff and small ensembles, but I can't do any scoring for full orchestra where there are anywhere from 20 to 40 instruments) and will allow one to do polyphonic scores and create midi files with the scores, that would be wonderful. I'm currently using Amadeus opus. It's great for a lot of basic scoring needs and for creating midi files, but obviously not for creating anything polyphonic or for scoring for orchestra.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx