gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:17:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson...don't say i didn't warn you  (Read 28581 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 05:00:02 AM »

From LegacyRecordings:

BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON’s long out of print PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION returns in deluxe package

Arrives in stores April 15, 2008, on Caribou/Epic/Legacy

Eternal Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s 1977 solo album, the first solo album by any Beach Boy – out-of-print and unobtainable for more than a decade except as a pricey collectors item or bootleg – will return to circulation on the occasion of its 30th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of its creator’s untimely death in 1983, at age 39.  The double-CD PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION arrives in stores April 15th on Caribou/Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.  A limited edition 180-gram vinyl multi-LP box set will also be released at the same time, on the Sundazed label.

I haven't got enough words to tell you how amazed I am.  Shocked

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »

Ok...so now I'm buying two copies of the cd set...and some vinyl as well. I'd better get a hefty tax return this year!

That just floors me that it's also going to be released as a vinyl set on Sundazed. I mean, it was a perfect enough release already...but that just makes it more perfect!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:31 AM »

Sundazed is easily the greatest record label around at the moment...
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »

Full Press release:

A LONG OUT-OF-PRINT ‘BURIED TREASURE’

RETURNS IN A DELUXE PACKAGE!

BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON’s

PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION

“Everything that I am or will ever be is in the music.

If you want to know me, just listen.” -- Dennis Wilson

30th anniversary 2-CD set includes (disc one) original 12-song album plus previously unreleased bonus tracks, and (disc two) additional rare tracks,

including later sessions for the unfinished follow-up Bambu album

Arrives in stores May 13, 2008, on Caribou/Epic/Legacy

Eternal Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s 1977 solo album, the first solo album by any Beach Boy – out-of-print and unobtainable for more than a decade except as a pricey collectors item or bootleg – will return to circulation on the occasion of its 30th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of its creator’s untimely death in 1983, at age 39. The double-CD PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION arrives in stores May 13th on Caribou/Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. A vinyl edition of the LP will also be released at the same time, on the Sundazed label.

As of this writing, complete component details of the PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION package are still being finalized, as the tape vaults of the Beach Boys and Caribou Records continue to be combed for new treasure. Initial plans call for disc one to include the original 12-song LP sequence: 1. River Song • 2. What’s Wrong • 3. Moonshine • 4. Friday Night • 5. Dreamer • 6. Thoughts of You • 7. Time • 8. You and I • 9. Pacific Ocean Blue • 10. Farewell My Friend • 11. Rainbows • 12. End of the Show. In addition, disc one will contain previously unreleased bonus tracks that have never appeared on any bootleg product.

Disc two of PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION will be a godsend to Dennis Wilson and Beach Boys devotees around the world – especially those who have been aware of the Bambu album he had hoped to release as a follow-up, but never completed. The tape archive is the source for over a dozen bonus tracks, all previously unreleased, from the original Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu sessions. Bambu has been referenced as “Bamboo” in numerous articles on Dennis and the Beach Boys, but paperwork that accompanied the sessions now reveals the artist always intended for the album to be titled Bambu.

All unreleased tracks have been mixed by Wilson’s original engineer John Hanlon (the Beach Boys; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; Jayhawks; R.E.M; Gillian Welch) with Gregg Jakobson (original co-producer and co-writer) and Jim Guercio (producer and owner of Caribou Records).

Liner notes for PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION will come from a variety of Beach Boys scholars. David Leaf is the author of the Brian Wilson biography Beach Boys and the California Myth (1978), and the follow-up, Beach Boys: Spirit of America (1985). He has annotated nearly 30 Beach Boys-related reissue projects, including the Good Vibrations: Thirty Years Of the Beach Boys (1993) and The Pet Sounds Sessions (1997) box sets, which he co-produced. Leaf is also an award-winning television producer, director and writer of more than 50 entertainment-related biographies and specials, including An-All Star Tribute To Brian Wilson (TNT, 2001), and Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of SMiLE (Showtime, 2004). Additional essays will feature by Jon Stebbins (author of Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy), Mojo magazine contributing editor Ben Edmonds, and David Beard (editor of the Beach Boys fanzine, Endless Summer Quarterly).

The set’s full-color booklet will include extensive discographic information and memorabilia. Among these are the images taken for the original LP package by photographer and lifelong friend Dean Torrence (of Jan & Dean), thought for decades to be lost but later uncovered in the Sony Music archives.

Long considered one of the Rosetta Stones of Beach Boys iconography, Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue has been a collectors item virtually since the day it was released. The LP edition, although it sold as well as any Beach Boys title at the end of the 1970s, was out-of-print in the catalog by the early ’80s, when the group’s Caribou Records deal with Epic ran out.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »

Thanks for the info.  In the past two days, though, the release date has gone from March (from Jon Stebbins), to April 15th (shorter press release on the Legacy website yesterday), to May 13th.  I hope this isn't a trend.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

Thanks for the info.  In the past two days, though, the release date has gone from March (from Jon Stebbins), to April 15th (shorter press release on the Legacy website yesterday), to May 13th.  I hope this isn't a trend.
That's a bit of "Chinese Democracy", as invented by one Axl Rose.  Wink
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »

I never said March, that was in a press release I was asked to write after being told to list that as the date. Truthfully I never believed in March because that date didn't come from Sony, May sounds just about right to me.

Here's a Billboard article
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003701480
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:14 AM »

Darn it, Jon.  I was going to edit my post to remove your name and insert DWMG.com, but you beat me to it.  Looking forward to this.  Any chance of a reprint of "Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy" to go along with this?
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »

This release is set to be as big a revelation as BWPS was. I'm really looking forward to putting this CD on, turning out the lights, and let Dennis' music floor me. Thank you to all involved in getting this finished and put out. Like I said I'll be grabbing two copies at least. This is truly amazing. Smokin
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »

Darn it, Jon.  I was going to edit my post to remove your name and insert DWMG.com, but you beat me to it.  Looking forward to this.  Any chance of a reprint of "Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy" to go along with this?

No problem man...the release date might jump around a little still...its early in the process...but the thing is coming! And...Yes there is a revised and expanded "Real Beach Boy" book that will be ready in a couple of months. More details on that later.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

Rossetta Stone?  Odd simile.

Could the name "Bambu" share its origin with the origin of the title of the Cheech and Chong LP "Big Bambu"?

"The name Big Bambu is a reference to a type of rolling paper made by the Bambu company; the original LP sleeve was manufactured to look like a giant rolling paper package, and originally contained a giant rolling paper with the record."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »

Liner notes for PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE: LEGACY EDITION will come from a variety of Beach Boys scholars. David Leaf is the author of the Brian Wilson biography Beach Boys and the California Myth...

Please someone proof-check the punctuation before the finished notes are printed!
 Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »

From HARP magazine:

http://www.harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=12186

"In the late ‘90s, bootleg label Vigotone issued a “version” of Bamboo using tracks that were presumed to have been earmarked for the project. "

Uh, I don't think so.  Vigotone never released Bamboo.

http://www.vigotone.com/byartist.htm

That's not to say that many other bootleg labels have released it in one version or another.  For example:

http://www.junk-headz.com/denis-pacific-page.htm
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=da015&section=176
http://www.beachboysguide.com/index.php/Rarities%2C_Vol._14:_Dennis_Wilson_%28Bamboo_%26_Bonustracks%29
http://www.bigozine2.com/tradelist/list02.html#denniscarl
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 04:05:31 AM »

is there already a "official "tracklist  Roll Eyes
MBE
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 04:30:43 AM »

I am over the moon about the vinyl release. Now I am totaly excited about this. How did  Bambu replace Bamboo?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 04:47:15 AM »

I am over the moon about the vinyl release. Now I am totaly excited about this. How did  Bambu replace Bamboo?

Maybe it's better to ask: when did Bamboo replace Bambu (as it apparently was the name Dennis originally was going for)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 05:28:30 AM »

This is really exciting!  But how the press release is gone from the http://www.dwmg.com/news.php site ?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »

This is really exciting!  But how the press release is gone from the http://www.dwmg.com/news.php site ?
Probably getting updated
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »

Maybe it's better to ask: when did Bamboo replace Bambu (as it apparently was the name Dennis originally was going for)

Right...Bambu is what DW wanted back in '78.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

Bambu is the way a well known rolling paper spells it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »

Jon, thank you for all of the information on the release, and anything you contributed to its coming to fruition.

I, too, am also curious about the title of Bambu....Chapter 8 of your fine book, Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy, is titled - Bamboo. You also wrote about a potential production company of Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson to be known as Bamboo Productions.

Who is the person who confirmed that Bambu, not Bamboo, was the intended title, and, is it in fact a reference to rolling papers? Thanks again for all your contributions....

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

Oh, well in that case I already have Bambu.

Uh...

I mean...

Never mind LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »

Jon, thank you for all of the information on the release, and anything you contributed to its coming to fruition.

I, too, am also curious about the title of Bambu....Chapter 8 of your fine book, Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy, is titled - Bamboo. You also wrote about a potential production company of Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson to be known as Bamboo Productions.

Who is the person who confirmed that Bambu, not Bamboo, was the intended title, and, is it in fact a reference to rolling papers? Thanks again for all your contributions....

I assumed it was Bamboo, like everyone else, until about four months ago. Part of the problem is when Gregg Jakobson told me about the production company back in '99... it was during a phone conversation...so I wasn't going to catch it then. Any reference to it in print always said Bamboo, but none of them were generated from Dennis. Upon the beginning of the mixing sessions John Hanlon and Gregg both insisted Bambu was the spelling Dennis had always intended. I was comfortable that they would know, there just isn't any solid evidence to the contrary other than decades of logical assumption by journalists and fans like me. I never would have even considered a different spelling, there was no reason to, it never dawned on me to think about the rolling paper...I was thinking about the wood, the trees...ya know. But... if you read through all the press releases from yesterday, one of them says Sony was convinced when they discovered paperwork in Dennis' hand with the word spelled Bambu. I kind of like the idea of it having a fresh spelling, these mixes deserve one.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »

What I think is really bada$$ is that even 46+ years since they made the Beach Boys made their first recording, we're *still* learning new things about their music.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2008, 11:43:11 PM »

Agreed thanks for fillings us in Jon.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx