gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:45:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson...don't say i didn't warn you  (Read 28582 times)
XY
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:32 PM »

POB alone would be great, but also Bambu/oo...wow. Thanks to Jon and everyone involved in this!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »

Awesome ! Finally something great again out of Beach Boys land ! And don't forget that we'll probably also get TLOS. What a year !!

Maybe Brian will support POB on his tours...?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »

So this will have the original versions of 'Love Surrounds me' and 'Baby Blue' and of course 'All alone', but how will that tie in with the fact that they are also Beach Boys recordings? I know the first two may be different versions but I would assume that 'All alone' is the same version off 'EH'?
Anyway, the whole thing sounds fabulous, about bloody time!! Smiley

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 04:56:20 AM »

This is such great news.  If Brian and Al can get their projects finished, this'll be a great year for Beach Boys fans.

I hope Jon Stebbins doesn't mind that I am reposting his post from Susan's board, but here is what he says regarding this release:

"I don't know the exact track listing that Sony will settle on, but i do know there are more than 10 tracks available and freshly mixed and ready to go...that have NEVER been booted...that's right. 10 to 12 DW tracks that even the hardest core fans on this board have not heard...and I'm tellin' ya this is great, great stuff. Plus all of POB meticulously remastered and sounding better than ever, and all the Bambu tracks that have been booted, but with fresh mixes by John Hanlon, and in perfect quality. Let's just hope the process keeps rolling to the finish line."

Thanks for the great info, Jon!!!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:35 AM »

"I don't know the exact track listing that Sony will settle on, but i do know there are more than 10 tracks available and freshly mixed and ready to go...that have NEVER been booted...that's right. 10 to 12 DW tracks that even the hardest core fans on this board have not heard...and I'm tellin' ya this is great, great stuff. Plus all of POB meticulously remastered and sounding better than ever, and all the Bambu tracks that have been booted, but with fresh mixes by John Hanlon, and in perfect quality. Let's just hope the process keeps rolling to the finish line."

Man this whole release has got my mouth watering!! This is incredible. I never thought I'd ever see the day when Bambu/other Denny unreleased songs would be released!! I knew Pacific Ocean Blue would be released eventually but this is shaping up to be, I'm assuming, beyond what anybody expected!! Thank you so much to the people working on this!!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »

So this will have the original versions of 'Love Surrounds me' and 'Baby Blue' and of course 'All alone', but how will that tie in with the fact that they are also Beach Boys recordings? I know the first two may be different versions but I would assume that 'All alone' is the same version off 'EH'?

I think "All Alone" and "Brian's Back" are still solo tracks. How can we say, they were loaned to the EH compilation.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »

Well I dreamily _hope_ as a bonus track the early version of River Song (the heavy guitar version with a non-corrupted vocal chord Dennis spot rehearses the "I was born into..." before the song kicks in and blows everything within a 20km radius away. Not that I have heard it...

All said, regardless you can count me in for at least 2 sets of the reissue.
 Cool
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:41 AM »

Say, that's an idea. Maybe I should buy two sets. I bought two of BWPS...
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »

I'm buying two sets. Never know when something will accidentally happen to one set, and you don't have a backup. And then it goes back out of print, and you're screwed.

I'm not taking chances. Hell, I may just buy three copies  Grin
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »

Buy two or three is right.       Don't P-to-P freeload it.
Put your money where your release requests have been so the corporation hears it.

(Is it too late for me to make a killing selling my POB CD on eBay to finance buying multiples of this?)  Grin
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

I would like to hear some quotes from the surviving Beach Boys on this one: I think it would be interesting considering how Dennis's solo career was a sticky issue in the late 70's
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »

(Is it too late for me to make a killing selling my POB CD on eBay to finance buying multiples of this?)  Grin

On EBay last night, I couldn't help noticing no POB CDs, but several Carl solo CDs all of a sudden.  Dunno if that's a hint it's over or just coincidence.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:36:38 PM by The Goat » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »

Some DW tunes at BMI I didn't recognise:

Drumble
Free (could be Sound of Free?)
I Think You're Going to Like It H... (characters may be missing after the H)
ODYSSEY
PARADE OF FOOLS
SHE'S SO HARD TO SHAKE
VIKINGS

Trouble is, it's hard to be absolutely sure they're by the right DW. AGD might have info?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »

Some DW tunes at BMI I didn't recognise:

Drumble
Free (could be Sound of Free?)
I Think You're Going to Like It H... (characters may be missing after the H)
ODYSSEY
PARADE OF FOOLS
SHE'S SO HARD TO SHAKE
VIKINGS

Trouble is, it's hard to be absolutely sure they're by the right DW. AGD might have info?

There was a country artist named Dennis Wilson and I think those are his tunes. None of those titles are among the Bambu set. Sorry can't say more as of now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

As I've often said, I'm not even the biggest fan of Dennis's songs (I think I've said I'd give POB a 7 or 8 on a 10 scale...I only really love maybe 3-5 of those songs), but I'm really excited by this. It's such great news that this very worthwhile product will finally be legitimately, officially available again (and in some of the material, for the first time). I look forward to buying and hearing the stuff sounding good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 05:08:33 PM »

Will 'Lady' and 'Sound of Free' be included as bonus tracks? Those are considered Dennis Wilson solo songs and not Beach Boy songs, right? 'Cause 'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again' is considered a Beach Boys song, so that probably won't be included. By the way did any Beach Boys, besides Dennis, play or sign on WIBNTLA?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »

Will 'Lady' and 'Sound of Free' be included as bonus tracks? Those are considered Dennis Wilson solo songs and not Beach Boy songs, right? 'Cause 'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again' is considered a Beach Boys song, so that probably won't be included. By the way did any Beach Boys, besides Dennis, play or sign on WIBNTLA?

This will only be Caribou era Dennis Wilson solo recordings...1975 - 1979. A lot of it has been unheard until now...maybe 10 to 12 tracks that NEVER were booted, and some that were booted, but that sound a zillion times better now in perfect quality with fresh mixes by John Hanlon.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »

Way cool Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

Jon, these 10-12 songs that no one has ever heard before... are these also songs no one has ever heard OF before?  If not, presumably they are songs that are listed at Dan Addington's web site?

http://www.danaddington.com/denny/releasedmusic.html

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »

This is good for another reason in that it's the first proper BB related rarities release since Endless Harmony back in 2000. Though it's not on the same label hopefully it could set the ball rolling for all the other stuff that should get released.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »

Yeah as Jon says this release will only be Caribou-era tracks. Lady and Sound Of Free I believe were released on Stateside which is a subsidiary of EMI from what I know.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:23 AM »

This is good for another reason in that it's the first proper BB related rarities release since Endless Harmony back in 2000. Though it's not on the same label hopefully it could set the ball rolling for all the other stuff that should get released.

Endless Harmony is from 1998. And we've had Ultimate Christmas and Hawthorne CA since.

But anyway, I hope you're right...
XY
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:03 AM »

and the Hallmark album in 2006. Ok, not unreleased songs, but still new live recordings.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 04:14:19 AM »

Endless Harmony is from 1998. And we've had Ultimate Christmas and Hawthorne CA since.

Sorry I meant EH!

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »

Sorry I meant EH!

Bloody Hell - Hawthorne CA!! I always get them mixed up!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx