gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Add Some Music to Your Day: 1970 Symphonic Tribute to Brian Wilson
5 - 4 (44.4%)
4 - 2 (22.2%)
3 - 1 (11.1%)
2 - 1 (11.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Add Some Music to Your Day: 1970 Symphonic Tribute to Brian Wilson  (Read 10930 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2006, 03:25:43 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Add Some Music to Your Day: 1970 Symphonic Tribute to Brian Wilson, released 2001.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »

I was disappointed in this album, I was expecting so much more.   It's a pretty good song list, a nice mix of older songs (In My Room, Please Let Me Wonder), Pet Sounds era music (Carolline No, God Only Knows), a SMiLE medley, and later stuff (Friends).  I expected these songs to sound totally awesome performed by an orchestra, but something just doesn't work, whether it's the actual performance, the mixing, or something else.

It doesn't do Brian's beautiful music justice.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »

i on the other hand really dig this album. I've read reviews about this and everyone says it's elevator music, i think it's great. the song pet sounds is great. I think the whole album is a gas...

elevator music = Jazz Portrait of BW (except for the cool vocal parts)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 12:03:35 PM »

A steaming, festering pile of cowshit. 0 from me. Absolutely horrible, what a disgrace to the name Brian Wilson.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »

I was disappointed in this album, I was expecting so much more.   It's a pretty good song list, a nice mix of older songs (In My Room, Please Let Me Wonder), Pet Sounds era music (Carolline No, God Only Knows), a SMiLE medley, and later stuff (Friends).  I expected these songs to sound totally awesome performed by an orchestra, but something just doesn't work, whether it's the actual performance, the mixing, or something else.

It doesn't do Brian's beautiful music justice.

I completely agree with this review.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »

BW had left Usher behind a long time before this...

Honk! Honk!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »

i on the other hand really dig this album. I've read reviews about this and everyone says it's elevator music, i think it's great. the song pet sounds is great. I think the whole album is a gas...

elevator music = Jazz Portrait of BW (except for the cool vocal parts)

Applauded. I gave it 5. It is elevator music with a little twist. Which just makes it adorable.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »

I bought this CD a few months ago under the title 'Smile For Me: A Symphonic Tribute To Brian Wilson by Gary Usher'. If it were playing in the supermarket I'd be happy. I like the Fall Breaks/Good Vibes/ Heroes Villains medley. Not something I play too often, but worth the 4 bucks I paid for it. I'll give it a 3.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »

I bought this CD a few months ago under the title 'Smile For Me: A Symphonic Tribute To Brian Wilson by Gary Usher'. If it were playing in the supermarket I'd be happy. I like the Fall Breaks/Good Vibes/ Heroes Villains medley. Not something I play too often, but worth the 4 bucks I paid for it. I'll give it a 3.

Definitely! That medley is awesome! You can never have enough tributes/cover versions of Mrs Oleary's Cow...er I mean Fall Breaks into Winter. I really honestly thought his cover of Pet Sounds was like a whole nother take on the song.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx