gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:12:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Imagination
5 - 9 (8%)
4 - 46 (41.1%)
3 - 33 (29.5%)
2 - 19 (17%)
1 - 4 (3.6%)
0 - 1 (0.9%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Imagination  (Read 71914 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 03:11:08 AM »

I've never had a problem with this album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »

"Your Imagination" a cappella is pretty cool. I've listened to most of the rest of the album with the music included -- big mistake on my part!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »

I can't believe BW reused my solution for happy days. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »

Lay Down Burden is the best track on there. Simply beautiful and a nice tribute to Carl. Brian's remake of Keep an Eye on Summer is beautiful as well. The "Keep an eye on summer..." part sounds a bit similar to That's Why God Made the Radio.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »

This album is a recent discovery for me. She Says That She Needs Me is astounding. ASTOUNDING!!!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »

I think Imagination is half of a GREAT album (production aside).

Your Imagination, She Says She Needs Me, South American, Dream Angel, Lay Down Burden are the really fantastic tracks.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »

I think Imagination is half of a GREAT album (production aside).

Your Imagination, She Says She Needs Me, South American, Dream Angel, Lay Down Burden are the really fantastic tracks.

Yep - totally agree, but I'd also include Where Has Love Been and... wait for it... Happy Days.

As for SSTSNM - I'm pretty much obsessed with this track - it should have been recorded by the BBs. It's definitely in my top 20 BB/Brian Wilson tracks.

One more thing, a previous poster on this thread (I think from several years ago) said something like "Brian Wilson is definitely NOT adult contemporary".  That is hilarious (no offense). First of all, this album SCREAMS adult contemporary. Second of all, who the flippin fudge cares what it's labeled anyway? So what if it's AC? It's a great album (mostly at least). What a totally unnecessarily defensive and ridiculous thing to say (again, no offense).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

Lay Down Burden is the best track on there. Simply beautiful and a nice tribute to Carl. Brian's remake of Keep an Eye on Summer is beautiful as well. The "Keep an eye on summer..." part sounds a bit similar to That's Why God Made the Radio.
Really? how?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

Really? how?

The beginning of it. It's brief but noticeable. Mainly on the part: "Keep an...."  sounds somwhat similar to "That's why..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1l5naX8yI&list=PL452F3C6EF1FC116C&index=5&feature=plpp_video (Audio starts at 0:19)

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

I agree!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

Really? how?

The beginning of it. It's brief but noticeable. Mainly on the part: "Keep an...."  sounds somwhat similar to "That's why..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1l5naX8yI&list=PL452F3C6EF1FC116C&index=5&feature=plpp_video (Audio starts at 0:19)

I hear it now

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »

I find it fascinating that so many people like 'South American' while I think it's crap. Also find it interesting that so many hate this album. I don't, but the production is just bland.

'Your Imagination', 'She Says That She Needs Me', 'Where Has Love Been' (underrated), 'Cry' and 'Lay Down Burden' are the only real worthwhile songs here. The pointless remakes of two classic BBs tunes are fluffy and alright, but obviously vastly inferior to the originals.

3.5/5.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »

This should have been a Beach Boys album.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »

Which song from the album plays when Brian has his baby daughter with him in the studio, in the Endless Harmony docu? I don't have the album and the samples in the Itunes store didn't help. The song reminded me of All This Is That (same chord progression)

I'm quite sure it's from the Imagination album as they showed the album cover.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:12 AM »

Which song from the album plays when Brian has his baby daughter with him in the studio, in the Endless Harmony docu?
It's "Happy Days" (my fave from the record, btw), I well remember that studio segment. I also agree about the analogy with All This Is That. They're 2 beautiful soundalikes.

Thanks man! Smiley
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 03:07:08 AM »

I was just so pleased to get this album when it was released so pleased to get anything from Brian and I'm going to give it a five based on that. I loved a lot of the songs and my favorite was one you don't see mentioned often an that was "Where Has Love Been?" I played that track alone for weeks.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

Worth getting this album mainly for "Lay Down Burden".
Downside is, there's the painfully embarrassing remakes of "Keep an Eye on Summer" and "Let Him Run Wild".
3.5 out of 5
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »

Great album! The third best Brian Wilson solo album, right there after Brian Wilson 88 and That Lucky Old Sun.

Your Imagination 4/5
She Says That She Needs Me 3.5/5
South American 3/5 Worst of the original songs.
Where Has Love Been? 3/5
Keep an Eye on Summer 2/5 Filler
Dream Angel 5/5
Cry 4/5
Lay Down Burden 5/5
Let Him Run Wild 2/5 Filler
Sunshine 5/5 I love this!
Happy Days 4.5/5

Production is as cold as the cover pic... 4/5.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

It was so exciting to get this album back in 1998, after many years without new songs from Brian (I'm not counting Orange Crate Art, because he didn't write those). I still like the album, but I don't rate it nearly as high as I did then. I prefer TLOS, BW88 and OCA to this one.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

Hi all,

I have listened to a lot of songs from Imagination on you tube.  The next time I go to FYE in my local mall I will have the manager call the FYE in NYC to order it for me.   
KDS
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »

I rated this album as a low 4. 

I think its much more consistent than BW88.  The title track, South American, Law Down Burden, Happy Days, and Sunshine are really good entries to Brian's catalog. 

The rerecorded versions of Let Him Run Wild and Keep An Eye on Summer are inferior to the Beach Boys originals, and seem to be filler material on this album. 

Overall, I think its Brian's third best solo album (behind TLOS and NPP). 
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »

I feel like my opinion of this album diminishes with each new release Brian puts out. At the time, it seemed like the best we could expect from him, which was reinforced when GIOMH was even more lackluster. But once TLOS came out, it was clear he had more gas in the tank, so Imagination receded in significance. And now in recent years, in light of the unbelievable second half of Made the Radio and now NPP, it's hard to think of Imagination as anything more than a blip. Still, the title track is pleasant enough (in a MIU kind of way), and "Lay Down Burden" was nice until I replaced it in my mind with "The Right Time".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2015, 02:39:33 PM »

Your Imagination 4/5
She Says That She Needs Me 5/5
South American 2/5
Where Has Love Been? 1/5
Keep an Eye on Summer 2/5
Dream Angel 2/5
Cry 4/5
Lay Down Burden 5/5
Let Him Run Wild 2/5
Sunshine 1/5
Happy Days 4/5

Yeah there are a few stinkers and the two Beach Boys remakes were unnecessary, but there's also some of Brian's best ever solo work on here. Hands up whoever thought Brian would reuse My Solution?
Overall 3/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »

Hands up whoever thought Brian would reuse My Solution?

...and sneak it in under the name "Happy Days"  Shocked.  Not me.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

I put this one on last night for the first time in over a year; I gave it kind of a lukewarm review last time, but I have to change that. Actually, I like the sound of this album just fine; and I like all the songs up to the last 2, Sunshine and Happy Days. Let Him Run Wild is a great version, could've been a bonus cut on IJWMFTT. And yes, I hear Keep an Eye on Summer in That's Why God Made the Radio. Drove me crazy the first dozen times I heard it, cause in my head I would go to Keep an Eye on Summer. Brian survived some difficult stuff to make this album - the loss of his mother and brother - yet he sounds happy here. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx