gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Live At The Roxy Theatre
5 - 18 (40.9%)
4 - 16 (36.4%)
3 - 7 (15.9%)
2 - 2 (4.5%)
1 - 1 (2.3%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live At The Roxy Theatre  (Read 31452 times)
Wilsonista
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »

Exactly. Anyone thinkingingit's a f*** you to Mike and Bruce (the M & B shows I've seen haven't even come close to Brian's shows) is reading a bit too much into the CD.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

Perhaps Brian should have performed in front of a lot of people who didn't like him.

Seems like that's what happened at the charity concert. :/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DAMAGED
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 02:57:35 AM »

I enjoy this CD. I listen to it more than any BW release I have. Granted, Bri is not in great form - But the performance is honest & seems (mostly) to be unedited. Much better than the production on some of his other solo work.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 06:31:14 AM »

I enjoy this CD. I listen to it more than any BW release I have. Granted, Bri is not in great form - But the performance is honest & seems (mostly) to be unedited. Much better than the production on some of his other solo work.

Unedited maybe.. but there's extensive post-dubbing: I'm told The Roxy was hired for three days - two to play & record and a third for the sweetening.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:17 AM »

Unedited maybe.. but there's extensive post-dubbing: I'm told The Roxy was hired for three days - two to play & record and a third for the sweetening.

Most live records are patched up afterwards, though. Lets not get too paranoid  Cheesy

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »

Most live records are patched up afterwards, though. Lets not get too paranoid  Cheesy

The main exceptions I can think of are many of Zappa's (dozens of?) live albums ... very nearly all of which, despite not including overdubbing, include REALLY EXTENSIVE editing to the point of using multiple performances for each song. A tune might begin with the 1988 band, edit to the 1968 band, a mid-70s band and back to the '80s again for the ending. So while it is nice to know that the passages we hear were pulled off live, it's still not exactly a pure artifact most of the time!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »

Yeah, but Zappa had it down to an art... whereas other lie-filled live albums (stand up, They Might Be Giants' "Severe Tire Damage") are just shameful.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

I usually don't much like live albums but this one has such a great song selection & there are two great songs that I haven't got elsewhere This isn't love and the First Time. I like it but I don't listen to it a lot.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »

Of all the Brian Wilson solo albums I own, I find myself listening to this one the most. It's Brian Wilson doing Brian's favorites, which when combined with his upbeat and engaged attitude for the duration of the CD, make it a very enjoyable listen.
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »

This album, back when it came out, really introduced me to the non-surfin' Beach Boys song. At the time, I was a newbie BB fan who was just getting into the early hits. I love this album, lost it in 2009 during a break-up. I had every Beach Boys CD, bootleg, solo albums, etc. So far, I have not been able to replace this one. If anyone could help, drop me a PM.

Thanks!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »

I sincerely hope that "The First Time" pops up on a future BW/BBs studio album. I'm in love with this gorgeous tune since I bought the CD ten years ago. Please make it happen!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »

Live records without additional overdubs always interest me worlds more than ones that have them, even if the former approach always contains the occasional mistake in one form or another. If I want to listen to performances that have been tidied up to perfection, I'll go with the studio versions. If we're talking a "live" album with similar arrangements to the album, well, I don't see much a point in hearing what are essentially studio re-recordings with some live elements going on.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jeffcannell
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »

Reviving a nine-year old thread…
Listened to this album on headphones, first listen since 2005.
I think the live recording with overdubs is in some ways… it does not have the 90’s studio sheen that distracted from imagination.
It has a more live band in studio feel than a lot of modern records.
So I’d consider it a Studio Album combining three live sessions.
Brian’s authenticity and enthusiasm is inspiring… Such Humility snd Appreciation.
This version of the band was unbeatable.
I think the opening of this tour is my favorite Rock n Roll moment of my 50 years:

The opening session snippet of Little Girl I once knew segueing-too the live opening—
Then moving almost right in to This whole world— then DONT worry Baby…
I remember this opening after driving four hours to see Brian at the Michigan Theater in 1999.
I surprised my Dad who had seen The Beach Boys 27 times since 1965 in hopes of seeing Brian.
The joy and happiness we shared that night is one of my favorite ever. (He died in January)

A genius opening.
I have a couple of recordings of his Ann Arbor and thought it might be interesting to combine them in Ableton. To get a fuller experience of that historic night… in some ways I like that recording better than live st the Rocy.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx