gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:32:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I like the Beach Boys  (Read 9648 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »

The Beach Boys are all about what it means to be a human being: a complex and imperfect creature hard-wired for the full range of emotional experience..... No one has translated this into any art form (or demonstrated it in their lives) better than The Beach Boys.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »

Mmm, yeah -- that sounds right. Also the family dynamic is so incredible, Shakespearean almost. It gives them a weird bond above and beyond the brotherly semi-telepathic thing you usually get with bands, the same gooey DNA and drama that fed into such a whirling, changing mass... endlessly interesting.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »

If Beach Boys music makes you sad, then I don't know what else to say except you might want to see a doctor. Really.

For the reasons I partially explained above there is a certain sadness even in happiness.  I'm not sure why you don't see it.  Think of it this way.  What is Brian doing in Caroline No?  He is comparing the present to the past and lamenting the loss of something which he values as good and therefore the loss of this thing is bad.  There is sadness in once having something of value and no longer having it, right?  And when Brian thought back on that good thing which he no longer had (and which, in his mind, no longer existed) it illicited sadness.  Now I take it that the things that illicit happiness in the happy songs by The Beach Boys are viewed as good and desirable things by those who like the songs.  Either one has those things or one does not have those things.  If one has them, then I suppose that being reminded of the good things one has would illicit happiness.  But if one does not have them then I would think it is reasonable for the song to illicit sadness, much like it did for Brian as he communicated in Caroline No.  Now, does anyone have what is sung about in the happy songs by The Beach Boys?  I have experienced the California Myth.  But the moments were fleeting...and of course there is a reason it is referenced as a myth.  Most of the time I am not living the California Myth.  Most of the time, therefore, when I hear those songs and think on those things I am either thinking about something I've never really had or that I had very briefly.  In other words, most of the time I hear Brian's happy music I am being reminded of good things which I either never had or no longer have and, like it did for Brian in Caroline No, it illicits sadness.

I'm sure I've not changed your mind and I am not trying to, but perhaps I've better explained mine.  Perhaps not.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

If Beach Boys music makes you sad, then I don't know what else to say except you might want to see a doctor. Really.

For the reasons I partially explained above there is a certain sadness even in happiness.  I'm not sure why you don't see it.  Think of it this way.  What is Brian doing in Caroline No?  He is comparing the present to the past and lamenting the loss of something which he values as good and therefore the loss of this thing is bad.  There is sadness in once having something of value and no longer having it, right?  And when Brian thought back on that good thing which he no longer had (and which, in his mind, no longer existed) it illicited sadness.  Now I take it that the things that illicit happiness in the happy songs by The Beach Boys are viewed as good and desirable things by those who like the songs.  Either one has those things or one does not have those things.  If one has them, then I suppose that being reminded of the good things one has would illicit happiness.  But if one does not have them then I would think it is reasonable for the song to illicit sadness, much like it did for Brian as he communicated in Caroline No.  Now, does anyone have what is sung about in the happy songs by The Beach Boys?  I have experienced the California Myth.  But the moments were fleeting...and of course there is a reason it is referenced as a myth.  Most of the time I am not living the California Myth.  Most of the time, therefore, when I hear those songs and think on those things I am either thinking about something I've never really had or that I had very briefly.  In other words, most of the time I hear Brian's happy music I am being reminded of good things which I either never had or no longer have and, like it did for Brian in Caroline No, it illicits sadness.

I'm sure I've not changed your mind and I am not trying to, but perhaps I've better explained mine.  Perhaps not.

I'm sorry. You're certainly entitled to your own personal emotional response to the Beach Boys music, and I was being insensitive. I hope things are going well for you, and that you're listening to some music that makes you happy.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »

Hey, sometimes you WANT music that makes you want to slip into a warm bath and slit your wrists! That's what Nico's "The Marble Index" is for.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

I'm reading you loud and clear, mypetsounds. Great posts.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

Uplifting music UPLIFTING MUSIC NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR "'TIL I DIE" BRIAN UPLIFINT MUSIC

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »

I don't remember the source, the when or the where, but somewhere there is a description floating around of Pet Sounds that a writer or reviewer offered, something to the effect of "sad songs and even sad songs about being happy."  Sad songs about being happy.  That's a pretty good accomplishment.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

Hey, sometimes you WANT music that makes you want to slip into a warm bath and slit your wrists! That's what Nico's "The Marble Index" is for.

Pass on that, thanks.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

Pass on that, thanks.

I once listsned to"Marble Index", "Desertshore" and "The End" back to back in one sitting!

I indeed wanted to slit my wrists so I threw on Lou Reed's "Berlin" which sounded like Sunflower in comparison!  Grin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:47:01 PM by Erik H » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »

I know that some people feel that way, but I never do. I don't really understand that.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

Pass on that, thanks.

I once listsned to"Marble Index", "Desertshore" and "The End" back to back in one sitting!

I indeed wanted to slit my wrists so I threw on Lou Reed's "Berlin" which sounded like Sunflower in comparison!  Grin

Good thing you didn't put on Metallica & Lou Reed's Lulu, otherwise you may have actually done it.

No mas, por favor.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »

Agreed!

Lou and those guys should be locked in a dark room with "Metal Machine Music" blasting for, like, a solid year as punishment!
NewGirl
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

The Beach Boys are all about what it means to be a human being: a complex and imperfect creature hard-wired for the full range of emotional experience..... No one has translated this into any art form (or demonstrated it in their lives) better than The Beach Boys.
I couldn't agree more! Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

I think Nico's stuff (Chelsea Girls excepted)  is a bit misunderstood. John Cale had it right when he referred to "The Marble Index" as a contribution to European Classical music. It has nothing to do with pop music or even rock n roll and is only really depressing when you look at it through a pop/rock prism, and the lyrical content is more thoughtful and reflective than the music would suggest.

Roses in the Snow
(Nico)

He came your way
And when he had to go
There were roses growing in the snow
Silently you'll go to the shadow of your soul
And you know that it was like this before we had to go

You will never see these lights
Glowing in your nights
Until you feel this way

With every moon it is as though you're getting closer to your soul
And then you go alone and with no fear
Then you will know
That it was like this before we had to go
And you will find that you were blind
Until you saw these lights glowing in your nights

He came your way
And when he had to go
There were roses growing in the snow
Silently you'll go to the shadow of your soul
But you know it was like this before we had to go

You will never see these lights
Glowing in your nights
If you don't know
And there are roses growing in the snow
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »

PEP-AIR SHE'S HAFFING FUN
SHE THINKSSS SHES SOME MANSSS SSSON
AMPHETAMEEN HASSS MAD HAIR SSSSICK
AND WHEN HE DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE
THEY GAFE HIM MIIIIIIIIIILK

HEEUH THEY CUMMMM NHAAAAAOOOOWW
SEE THEM RHUNNNNNN NHAAAAAOOOOOOWWW
HEEUH THEY CUMMMM NHAAAAOOOOWWWW
CHELSEE GUHHHLLLLLSSSSS

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »

In Nico's defense, she didn't write those lyrics! That would be Mr. Sunshine Reed!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

Naw, I enjoy the song (mostly), although that's about the point in the song where fifty verses have passed and you're like "This fucking song in seven minutes long - is it ever going to change things up?" And then it does.

inb4 someone tells me I don't get it or something.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »

I have the same experience with that song myself each and every time.

The lead part Sterling Morrison does really makes it for me!

I think Lou Reed needs to go on tour and perform Sunflower in it's entirety! I'd pay to see that!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx