gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Like A Brother
5 - 4 (12.9%)
4 - 9 (29%)
3 - 12 (38.7%)
2 - 3 (9.7%)
1 - 3 (9.7%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Like A Brother (Beckley-Lamm-Wilson)  (Read 17032 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:56:58 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Like A Brother, released June 2000.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:24:53 AM »

Thanks, Chuck.

Great vocals throughout, though I don't like the production.  Some good songs; some iffy ones.  Carl's ballads are typical of his late period stuff: heartfelt but not particularly inspiring.  My favourite track's the Nilsson one, but I quite like Run Don't Walk.  It's a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:45:18 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »

A vastly underrated album, some of Carl's finest solo moments are here, friends. Magnificent. 4 from me.
wolkensohn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »

Yes, I like this Album very much. His voice on "Today" is great, his songwriting on "I wish for you" and "Like a brother" is great to. Ok, there are 2 not sooo fine songs on it, but itīs okay!

Carlīs Song "Run donīt walk" was planed for the last Beach Boys Album back in 1996...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:17:15 AM »

Yesterday, July 30th, I saw this CD at a store in the mall.  I heard it was out of print so I almost bought it just to have an extra or to pass on to a friend.  But I didn't. 

Should I go back and get it?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »

On Carl's songs alone I'd give it a 5, overall, I rate it a 4. "I Wish for You" is one of the best songs Carl ever wrote. Moved me to tears when I heard it, it said exactly what I needed to say to a friend. Still moves me everytime I hear it. "Like A Brother" is my second favorite, nice tribute to Brian. "They're Only Words" is the kind of song that can come only from a lot of living, Carl always sang from the heart. I don't know how Carl's health was during the recording of this cd, but he sure seems to be looking inside himself, as well as the world around him. Vocally, he's in great shape. Man, I wish I could sing like that! Beckley and Lamm's contributions are overshadowed by Carl's, but their songs have grown on me over the years, and I love their version of Nilsson's "Without Her". Would've been fun to see these three guys share a stage together, but it wasn't meant to be. Must've been great for them to work together outside the confines of their respective groups, though, and not have to try to fit their songs into the formula  - ie., all 90's BB's songs have to sound like Kokomo....Sad.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 07:05:52 AM »

Overall I gave this a 4 but Carl's songs are fantastic. A decent enough album, even if the production sucks.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »

Crappy production, actually sounds more like an 80s than a 90s album to me... Most songs are kinda dull, but "I Wish For You" is one of the most touching songs I've ever heard...
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »

Some nice songs, and great singing from Carl, but I have to agree with Shelter about the crappy production. The production makes it sound like lame MOR music from the late 80s/early 90s. It's not really surprising that the album sounds the way it does since it was co-produced by the guy that wrote Vanessa Williams' Save The Best for Last. I think it could've been awesome if given the Brian treatment or made to sound like the BBs 70s stuff.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

I gave the album a 5.  I really like Carl's songs.  Today is my favorite.  Do any of y'all think that Like A Brother was written for Brian or Dennis or both of them?  I think it was for both. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »

Great, but underrated and forgotten. Carl's best solo work.
3.5 out of 5.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »

I gave the album a 5.  I really like Carl's songs.  Today is my favorite.  Do any of y'all think that Like A Brother was written for Brian or Dennis or both of them?  I think it was for both. 
Definitely written for Brian - I hope he heard it.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »

i think Carl and his part are the best part of the album..... I flick through all the other tracks...
but 'I wish for you' 'like a brother' 'run don't walk' are magic... 'today' and 'theyre only words' are still good to me...

Carl could have nailed another solo album had he approached it that way..... when he sound so good here....

Lost opportunity, and a 'lost' album really.....

RickB
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 06:05:32 AM »

For:
Great vocals by all (love the Lamm's singing), and amazing vocal arrangements through-out. Carl's vox are outstanding as expected; and 1 or 2 of his songs provide some interest.

Today (track 1) through to Run Don't Walk (track 4 and, relatively speaking, the album's edgiest item) is a "pleasant" sequence.

Against:
I find the music and production there-after quite baffling, even disconcerting: I must admit to never hearing a lot of this musical genre before, and in such an unrelenting concentration - so, this is Adult Contemporary, right?  

Sounds like really straight Christian music circa 1990; Or the kind of stuff heard over the end credits of USA style dramas - Life in Motion may be a contender for the Rocky 10 sound-track.

Overall, a real shame; expressive, emotive and compelling vocals negated by a clutch of quease-inducing tracks.  

When the revolution comes, I'll be backing "Unleash the Love", over "Like a Brother".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:07:51 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »

4/5 I like the LP but I agree with the complaints about production values and its MOR stance.. America to me has its moments but not a big fan.. I am a fan of Chicago so I like Robert Lamm"s singing also.. I agree with others that Carl had half of another solo LP.. Or could have used these for another BB lp.. But would have they fit with what BW was doin with Don Was or Andy Paley.?  Im leaning towards NO.. So I can see why CW vetoed  recording with them in 90"s..
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:55 AM »

A wonderful album---marvelous stuff! It does sound very 80's production but I love "Like A Brother", "Without Her" and "I Wish For You"....... 4  from me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:43:11 AM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:46 PM »

It was really hard to be a Beach Boys fan when all they could crank out was Stars and Stripes or Summer in Paradise, so I looked forward to this album for a long time. Feared it would never come out when Carl died. I still play this quite often. As I said earlier, Beckley and Lamm's songs have grown on me, especially Feel the Spirit and Sheltering Sky. Wish these guys could have done more together.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx