gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:23:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *PROPOSED* New Beatles single apparently - listen here!  (Read 5125 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »

I don't know how many people know this but at the same time as Free as a Bird and Real Love were recorded the 3 remaining Beatles attempted 2 other songs - Grow Old With Me! and I Don't Wanna Lose You aka Now and Then. Paul McCartney and Jeff Lynne have recently discussed revisiting Now and Then as it was the only tune left featuring George and John that could be classed as new material. Anyway 3 days ago someone posted the unfinished tune with 1994/95 overdubs on youtube - what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G17A10TA2c

http://www.whatgoeson.com/blog/the-beatles/rumor-new-beatles-track-coming-in-08.html

http://www.whatgoeson.com/blog/the-beatles/now-and-then-leaked-to-youtube.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:15:45 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »

I love "Real love" and "Free as a bird" and also the idea of having "new" Beatles stuff. But the track in the video sounds awful. Hope if something will be released it'll be better

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »

I love "Real love" and "Free as a bird" and also the idea of having "new" Beatles stuff. But the track in the video sounds awful. Hope if something will be released it'll be better

I love both of those songs - not sure about this one yet. Obviously this is a work in progress but you can tell it was from the era when they were doing those tunes. Apparently they only spent a day or two of work on it before George vetoed it...

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:46 AM »

It's very interesting! Perhaps it will grow on me with a few listens.

*edit*
Ok, I like it already. Didn't take too many listens after all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:45:24 PM by melissalynn » Logged
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »

Dug this up from my Lennon collection:

I Don't Want To Lose You

length: 5:01
recorded: 1977
instrumentation: piano

Surfaced originally from a tape source on the Vigotone bootleg The Dakota Beatle Demos under the title "Now And Then", taken from Jeff Lynne's comments on the song which was intended to be the basis for the third "reunion" single accompanying the Beatles Anthology. The actual title, 'I Don't Want To Lose You', was confirmed in 2005 when the composition was featured in the John Lennon broadway musical. The buzz running throughout the demo is part of the original recording, as Lynne mentions having trouble with restoring the demo for overdubbing purposes by the remaining Beatles. Fortunately, the cause of this problem was sorted out and the rest of the tape with three takes of both 'Free As A Bird' and 'Whatever Happened To..?' is free of it. It's unclear how much work on the song was done in 1995 before it was abandoned and Anthology 3 didn't feature a new song but was forced to open with 'A Beginning' instead.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »

Interesting. I remember at the midnight madness sale when Anthology 2 came out they were giving out this little fanzine that talked about Now and Then. I have original Lennon version and the audio quality is terrible so I wondered how they were going to clean it up.

On the whole I think it sounds better than the original and it manages to do some pretty interesting things, especially in middle. Very nice. I would like to hear a better recording of it. I think the fidelity of the actual recording may have been lost in uploading it on youtube.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »

I dig it!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »

Here's Lennon's solo demo, by the way:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ObTyehx7n8

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

This is actually a fan mix using isolated trax from the other two Beatles' '95 singles, done by somebody in the Remixers Group.

I think it sounds decent.  Makes the song sound like it has more possibilities than the demo version.

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 04:28:03 AM »

This is actually a fan mix using isolated trax from the other two Beatles' '95 singles, done by somebody in the Remixers Group.

I think it sounds decent.  Makes the song sound like it has more possibilities than the demo version.

Gutted! If thats the case (?)...

Someone's done a very good job of it then. My only doubt about it's authenticity was the snips of "Sun King" at the end of the tune.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »

Sounds quite haunting.

Could be good if they can clean up the vocal a bit more.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

Rubbish, complete rubbish. Sounds like a load of old sh*t.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx