gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:10:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Summer In Paradise salvageable?  (Read 10581 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »

I'm making a compilation CD of "later" Beach Boys' songs for my car, and dug out Summer In Paradise for the first time in a long time. Suprisingly, I found a lot of it enjoyable. OK, at least listenable. So I ask, could've it turned out to be a fairly decent album?

Look at the following songs:

Hot Fun In The Summertime
Still Surfin'
Strange Things Happen
Slow Summer Dancing
Island Fever
Lahaina Aloha
Under The Boardwalk
Summer In Paradise

Those are eight fairly decent songs. One could even argue that Remember Walking In The Sand be added to that list. Now, if you take those songs and get a contribution from Brian Wilson, you might've had something there. Brian had an album, Sweet Insanity, just sitting there, with no takers.

If you add Someone To Love, Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel, The Spirit Of Rock And Roll, Rainbow Eyes, and Water Builds Up, AND eliminate Summer Of Love, Surfin', and Forever, well, it's a vastly improved album.

In retrospect, I can see that Mike Love did the best he could. He (and Terry Melcher) obviously didn't have the goods to carry an entire Beach Boys' album. He just didn't get much of a contribution from the rest of the guys. There's probably a good reason for that; anybody have the facts/details on that?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

Brian's tracks would've seemed way out of place... unless they were rerecorded with SiP-esque production.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »

So I ask, could've it turned out to be a fairly decent album?

Yes.

If they would've ditched all the songs and recorded 12 fairly decent ones instead...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:30:34 AM »

Am I the only one to like the remake of "Surfin'" ?  Great Carl vocal on the final verse.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:39:10 AM »

I like Al's vocals throughout the album.  Still' Surfin's about the only track I have any time for, forever. The songs aren't helped by the production.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:53:56 AM »

I think it's already a pretty decent album.  I know it's not very popular in the BB fan circles, but I've always liked it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:14:33 AM »

To be honest I can't even bare to listen to that Era of The Beach Boys, for god sakes what were they thinking?Huh

It almost hurts, like the Frog Song by Paul McCartney

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:12:19 AM »

Was SIP salvageable?

The cardboard packaging could be recycled...

I always liked McGuinn's contribution, though.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »

Yea AGD.. I like that version of Surfin ..altho it took hearing them play it live.. Costa Mesa  Ca 1992... To convince me..!!
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:27:10 AM »

I'm really not a big fan of anything on the album, although a few tracks may have been better if they had been recorded differently. Can't think of any specific things that could have made it better. I like the cover, though. That's about it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »

In retrospect, I can see that Mike Love did the best he could. He (and Terry Melcher) obviously didn't have the goods to carry an entire Beach Boys' album. He just didn't get much of a contribution from the rest of the guys. There's probably a good reason for that; anybody have the facts/details on that?

Correct me if I wrong, but I recall reading that SIP did was never intended to be a BB album - A  Mike and Bruce vehicle Hence the lack of song cntribution from the others.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »

Don't forget that this was during the time of Al's first "firing".  He was brought in later to add vocals, including the stuff on the Euro version (Island Fever, Under the Boardwalk).  Also, this was during the time that Carl was heavily involved in the "Trio" sessions with Lamm and Beckley.  Say what you want about the material, but I agree with what Jerry Schilling once said...Carl could sing the phonebook and it would sound great.  The vocals by Carl and Al on this release were unbelievably good, and Carl slavaged Forever with his stunning vocals.  Forget the lyrics, forget the production and just listen to those two guys SING on this CD.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
michael
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »

Funny Just a few minutes ago I e mailed one of my buddies looking for a copy of SIP, both the U.s. and U.K. version I mentioned I reqally liked it where as most B.B. fans trashed it.
Now here it isbeing mentioned,and with some of us not in a negative way.
I look at SIP as a GREAT Mike ,Bruce and Terry Melcher disc.With some nice Carl vocals.Period
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

Funny Just a few minutes ago I e mailed one of my buddies looking for a copy of SIP, both the U.s. and U.K. version I mentioned I reqally liked it where as most B.B. fans trashed it.
Now here it isbeing mentioned,and with some of us not in a negative way.
I look at SIP as a GREAT Mike ,Bruce and Terry Melcher disc.With some nice Carl vocals.Period

I actually like it too...sure as hell beats Still Cruisin and Stars & Stripes, which IMHO are the only 2 BB album I actively despise (although "Somewhere Near Japan" is pretty spiffy, as is "Island Girl", even though the melody rips off Blondies "The Tide Is High" in spots)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarity between Island Girl and The Tide is High.

Of course, I heard Island Girl first so I thought Blondie ripped of the Beach Boys! Heh, I doubt she ever heard Island Girl. And maybe Al actually ripped of the Paragons' version from 1967.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »

If you think "Kokomo" is the cat's pajamas and you'd like to hear an album of it, then Summer In Paradise is for you.  Otherwise there is absolutely nothing salvagable about it.  Although they tried to make a decent cover of "Forever", screaming guitars and Uncle Jessie singing lead kind of killed it.  But despite the wretchedness of the album they were kind of going on a focused summer-y theme with the songs.  So throwing in Brian's peewee tunes at the time probably would have contrasted poorly with the rest of the album of tunes about surfin', islands and beach resorts; thus making the album even worse, if you can imagine.  It would be in essence like puking on excrement.   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

Am I the only one to like the remake of "Surfin'" ? 

I think so.  How does it feel?   3D

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

I like Al's vocals throughout the album.  Still' Surfin's about the only track I have any time for, forever. The songs aren't helped by the production.

Interesting because Al was only involved on one song, I believe.  He was allegedly "kicked out" of the band at the time; a sign of things to come...

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »

Is there an echo in here??

I don't hate the album, just the piss-poor thin production. The songs might've worked out if they put some more effort into the recording...I have no problem admitting I like cheesy music. LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

No offense... But I think that if you like this album, you probably like it in the same way that a mother loves her 5 year old son's or daughter's drawing, no matter how awful it really is... Right?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

Am I the only one to like the remake of "Surfin'" ?  Great Carl vocal on the final verse.
No, but then again, I also like Remember (Walkin in the Sand), which you don't, so... LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »

Interesting because Al was only involved on one song, I believe.  He was allegedly "kicked out" of the band at the time; a sign of things to come...

As eluded to earlier, Jardine was indeed "suffering from a bad case of tinnitus" as the official line went, or fired  during the time of recording. HOWEVER, he ended singing partial leads on Strange Things Happen and One SUmmer Night as well as prominent BGV's on Island Fever.  In addition, the EURO version includes Jardine leads on Island Fever and Under the Boardwalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:47:39 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »

Brian's tracks would've seemed way out of place... unless they were rerecorded with SiP-esque production.

You're absolutely right. The songs would've had to have been Melcher-ized, which still would've been an improvement over the Sweet Insanity production values.

The two biggest criticisms of Summer In Paradise (by anyone who gave it the time of day, which weren't many) were the absence of Brian Wilson songs and the 90's (weak) production. Well, the band was in pretty tight with Terry Melcher at the time, so that wasn't going to change.

So that leaves Brian. I still think the Sweet Insanity tracks could've been integrated into the project, and a decent song from Carl and Al would've helped too. Maybe even throw in "Crocodile Rock". I'll defend a core group of an existing 6-7 songs, which just needed a little help from their friends...er cousins. Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »

I'm curious, has Al, Carl and/or Brian commented on SIP?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »

I only listened to SIP and Sweet Insanity about 2 or 3 times. Those were rough days for the Beach Boys.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx