gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:49:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songwriting  (Read 3749 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »

I know this is pushing it and I should know better, and if it's too off-topic go ahead and move it.

I just wanted to remind people about this blog I've got going at http://aeijtzsche.blogspot.com/.  I touch on a lot of topics, but the thing that makes this marginally Beach Boys related is that I'm in the midst of writing a musical of sorts, and I'm documenting the songwriting process on this blog.  My songwriting is very influenced by the Beach Boys of course, and the borderline concept album vibe this thing has is a nod to Smile for sure.

So if you're interested in the creative process, check it out.

And of course, there's still all kinds of article I wrote directly about the Beach Boys, and certainly there will be more of those about my time working for them.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »

Self-promotional, insecure bump.

For anybody reading this, I'm trying to decide who to write about next, Dennis or Carl.

Obviously I couldn't meet either of them like I did Al and Brian, but I certainly felt their presence at times.

Any preference?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »

Is it possible to split the topic or something so at least the part about writing about my experiences working for the Beach Boys could be on the on-topic page?
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

Josh

Been reading your blog (and your posts for years now) and obviously you are musically talented. You have mentioned that you want to be paid or earn a living from music.  so my question is this: have you ever tried to redirect your talents into making a "hit" song?  Think what you may (and this is directed to all here) about "some" of the stuff on the radio, but I find it really hard and an immense challenge to write a good pop tune and a good catchy melody.  Just listening to the Rhianna song Umbrella on the way home tonight, I was thinking "damn that chorus is catchy!"  Now, I would not go out and buy a Rhianna record, but if I wrote that song or at least the chorus, I think I would be proud. Look to all the great artists over the years.  Look to Abba for example.  Well crafted songwriting, number one hits.   could you do that? 

Actually, this is directed towards all the musicians on this board.  Have you guys ever tried to write a "commerical" hit tune?  (I know, whatever that entails...)  A number one song could line your pockets and open up lots of doors and writing a hit song doesnt mean you are creating sh*t or selling yourself out.  Think of all the great great songs we all know and love and the wonderful songwriters...Jimmy Webb, Bacharach etc...  I have tons of my own songs written myself, but I don't think I have tried to write something that would be hit material. 

So have you ever tried to write a "hit"

Mark

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:36:04 PM »

I could never write a hit. I don't have it in me. That's why I don't bother and write my own style instead. Writing a song that 13 year old girls will buy is out of my level of understanding of how normal people think.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »

Actually, this is directed towards all the musicians on this board.  Have you guys ever tried to write a "commerical" hit tune?  (I know, whatever that entails...)  A number one song could line your pockets and open up lots of doors and writing a hit song doesnt mean you are creating merda or selling yourself out.  Think of all the great great songs we all know and love and the wonderful songwriters...Jimmy Webb, Bacharach etc...  I have tons of my own songs written myself, but I don't think I have tried to write something that would be hit material. 

So have you ever tried to write a "hit"

Most of the songs I write strike me as just that. Obviously they aren't, and so there's at least one major disconnect there. But I don't tend to think, 'this is a bad sound ... it grates on me, and might on others!' I write melodies that strike me as catchy over chords I like to lyrics that make sense to me. That others don't see it that way, well, they have their own ideas. It doesn't matter.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »

Every track I write is a hit. 3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx