gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:30:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sydney Festival - Opening Night 5th January  (Read 5731 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »

I'd been counting down the days to this concert and it was totally worth the wait. I've never seen Brian before so I was really excited as I'm sure you could understand. Anyway I'm pretty tired as I just got back and it's now 12:00AM local time and I've got a big few days ahead of me but I thought I'd just share the setlist with you guys (I may have been wrong but I did my best to write it down):

*Do It Again - at first there was NO sound at all (great start to a concert!!) so you could see Brian clearly saying something but who knows what? But then it soon (after about 20 seconds) came back on and thankfully the song hadn't quite started (besides the drum intro). It was also interesting to note that Brian sang "we'll get back together and SURF again.." which is of course off the demo version
*Dance, Dance, Dance - Brian described it as a "Chuck Berry kinda lyric"
*Catch A Wave
*Hawaii - this was funny. Brian said to Jim Hines (something like) "Hey Jim where do you wanna go"... "Fiji"..."No"..."New Zealand"... "No"..."Hawaii".. "yeah okay" or something like that which was pretty funny I thought anyway Tongue
*Then I Kissed Her - wasn't expecting this one. Brian introduced it as an "early 60's record" but at first he had to think of the era cause he was about to say 50's I think.
*Surfer Girl
*In My Room
*Drive-In - did NOT expect this one at all. Not really the biggest fan but it was still cool to see it live. Interesting that they finished the song a cappella
*When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) - A shaky start but then it sounded really great. Again they finished this song a cappella.
*All Summer Long - I'm pretty sure I heard Brian say "spilt coke all over your DRESS" which I think he also says in the WOTS podcasts as well LOL
*Please Let Me Wonder - Brian said something like "Listen to these angelic voices" or something like that. I'm really glad they did this one as I again wasn't expecting it but it was superb!!
*The Little Girl I Once Knew - he introduced it as it having a "Chinese sound" which of course as soon as he said that I knew which song he meant.
*Don't Worry Baby - Brian said about how it took him "2 weeks to write and 2 weeks to produce"... which of course Brian usually says stuff like that "Surf's Up took an hour to write".. "Surf's Up we stayed up the whole night writing that. It was a lot of music" or something like that.
*Do You Wanna Dance - I couldn't quite make out what was said (the mix was pretty bad generally) but they purposely made a false start on this and then made some joke about it or something but I missed what was said.
*I Get Around - "This one's for you, just for you"
*Add Some Music To Your Day - Brian introduced it as "if you go anywhere you should add some music to your day".. It was funny how Brian (as he did throughout) made funny hand signals like for example when they sung "You'll hear it faintly in the distance when you're on the phone" Brian put his hand and pretended he was on the phone and then when they sang "They'll play it on your wedding day" Brian put his hand up and grabbed his ring.
*Wouldn't It Be Nice
*Sloop John B - again it was funny how Brian pretended to put up a sail when they sang "So hoist up the John B sail"
*God Only Knows - it seemed like Brian was getting a little emotional on this one. He seemed to be putting his heart into it to cause he sort of closed his eyes and leant his head to the side while he was singing.
*California Girls
*Sail On Sailor - it was great hearing some of these reasonably lesser known songs (and a lot of the earlier ones I've mentioned) because most people kept saying "where's Good Vibrations" etc.. and it seemed like I was the only one (amongst a lot of drunks etc..) who knew some of these songs... I think some people even started leaving because they didn't even recognise a lot of the songs (I'm talking around when they were doing Add Some Music and beforehand)
*Marcella - It was cool because this was one of the ones that I noticed Brian playing keyboard on. This one really rocked too.
*Good Vibrations

ENCORE
Brian ran back out pretty quick (for him anyway) and then they played:
*Johnny B. Goode
*Help Me, Rhonda
*Barbara Ann - which Brian played bass
*Surfin USA - Brian again played bass
*Fun, Fun, Fun - again I think Brian contributed some keyboards.

Sorry about the pretty basic and crap review but I am pretty tired. I also bought three of Brian's tour programs (SMiLE, 2007 one and That Lucky Old Sun one which I haven't really looked at any of them in great detail yet) Oh and the attendance was massive. I'm no good with estimates but there must have been close to the predicted 100,000 people.

Anyway I am REALLY impressed with what I saw and heard tonight (besides the drunk people singing along who were just there because it was free). The band was fantastic (as I already knew from other people and DVD's, live bootlegs etc..) But I am SOOO glad that I am seeing Brian twice more in the next few days after seeing the performance tonight.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:19:45 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:39:59 AM »

he introduced it as it having a "Chinese sound" which of course as soon as he said that I knew which song he meant.

I would have guessed "Somewhere Near Japan".  Razz

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
SG7
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »

Which members were there, or was everyone there?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

Which members were there, or was everyone there?

*Darian Sahanaja
*Scott Bennett
*Jim Hines
*Jeff Foskett
*Taylor Mills
*Nelson Bragg
*Bob Lizik
*Probyn Gregory
*Paul Mertens

EDIT: I remember his name now.. I'm not sure if Nick Walusko was there..I've probably forgotten someone else.. I didnt really take too much notice though.. I was just so excited.. and I was mainly focused on writing down the song list
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:10:54 AM by mikeyj » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »

he introduced it as it having a "Chinese sound" which of course as soon as he said that I knew which song he meant.

I would have guessed "Somewhere Near Japan".  Razz

Haha!! Well I doubt Brian would do a song he had nothing to do with. I just knew about the "chinese sound" because Al mentioned it in the podcasts
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:45:49 AM by mikeyj » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx