gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rap  (Read 44242 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »

If you had to recommend just one album by Kendrick Lamar, would it be To Pimp A Butterfly?

Definitely.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:21 AM »

If you had to recommend just one album by Kendrick Lamar, would it be To Pimp A Butterfly?

Definitely.

Thanks. I've got it lined up. In fact, I've started on it already. I think it's better if I comment on it after hearing it all... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »

deleted due to being not in accordance with subject
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:09:22 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »

Um, wasn't it obvious? You knew the answer as you posted and read the new music thread and "What are you listening now". Few people were gushing about Kendrick Lamar.

Now rap. I read the board 5 yrs and I've yet to see a post where the rap singers dubbed talentless. Many who made negative statements re rap, they just can't stand it. It surely doesn't equal "hey, that's talentless bunch of black guys". As john said, it's not their thing. Ron said he dislikes rap lyrics which I understand could be the main reason for some people who 1st heard rap.
Somr yrs ago, posters didn't accept that smb. wouldn't like rap as much as they do. It was shock for them and they, esp. hypehat, were extremely arrogant - "Anybody who hates rap is stuck in old and is backwards/loses out on great music" Same about disco. I rolled eyes reading that - you like rap, embrace different genres/styles? Cool, that's,like, your opinion. Reality check: tastes differ.

By 2015, it changed to better and fans of rap/hip-hop go hand in hand with non-fans, respect their choice of staying with "comfort zone". F.ex. KDS gave good reason that he wouldn't like wasting time on music he really does not like, that's why he ignored the links posted. To which the captain said, "Fair enough", or it was the gist.

I so don't understand the point of this post.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:08:15 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »

1st point is for john k, as his post is right before mine. The rest, I tried to reminisce anybody exactly black-and-white say the "rappers are talentless" - as mentioned ib your post. Thing is, they just don't like rap as a genre, not concrete artists. After that, I compared the attitude of rap/hip-hop fans towards non-fans then & now. Go check the old posts by hypehat, Ron, KDS, the captain. It's all there, I didn't make it up. There is drastic change.

I understood exactly what you said. I just don't see the point of it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:06:41 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2016, 04:10:01 AM »

I read yours mention of "untalented rappers" and it went from there. The topic subject is "Rap" which is what my post is about. Is there anything wrong or should I only post things lest Ovi doesn't see the point of? I gave 2 cents.

John asked me to recommend him a Kendrick album. I don't think I've ever stated before that Pimp is my favorite album of his, or even the one I would recommend first. So what if nobody stated here before that rappers are talentless? Doesn't mean nobody thinks that nor doesn't this mean I can't "sell" a video in that way. This is so obscure that I can't believe I'm even arguing it. If you don't have anything interesting to add to the discussion (hip-hop) just don't add anything. Save the smartass observations that sound funny in your head. They're just annoying for the rest of us and interrupt the discussions.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2016, 04:49:16 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:05:29 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:53 AM »

I meant that if john reads specific threads there was a lot of praise towards that very album by the artist.

John doesn't read everything and what he does read may just happen to slip his mind later on. Please accept his apologies.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:04:19 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2016, 05:20:34 AM »

Yes, there are many out there, cue youtube users who say, indeed, that rappers are talentless. But nobody in this board.

How the f*** do you know? Did you personally interview every single one of the 3343 members? Or wait, perhaps I should put my trust in your stalking skills that you so actively let us know that you possess in the past.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »

Funny thing is, john, that Ovi instead of civil talk and trying to understand what the other poster says, he starts hurling petty insults and pretends to represent the whole board ("annoying for the rest of us"). I am annoyed at quite a few people too but telling them like it is? What for? It's not necessary and it's better to save time and nerves.

As for reading, I just rmbr. that you posted in those threads so you knew the answer, that's it.

No, I just came here to discuss my love for hip-hop before your out-of-place and passive-aggressive post.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:03:23 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2016, 05:33:04 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:02:15 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2016, 05:43:57 AM »

What's that got do with this discussion?

Gosh, "nobody" was just figure of speech. Of course not *literally* nobody. Just the names I posted plus several others who discussed rap. They don't like the rap *genre*, NOT rap *musicians*.
You're really stepping line. I just made post to disagree with that bit. I didn't know that it can "interrupt" the thread. If you just talked nicely this all would be avoided.

If you just stayed out of a topic that you don't have anything to add to instead of coming here just to tell a member that he was wrong in asking for an album recommendation from another member all would be avoided. Please do that next time and I promise I'll talk nicely to you and everybody else about music.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2016, 06:05:22 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:01:23 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »

Now let's not twist my words, OK? I didn't say it is wrong for john to ask for recommendation. Take 245679: I rmbr that john posted in the music threads in question WHILE there was discussion of said album - Bubbly Waves, the captain etc. And I thought john knows the answer. But he said it slipped his mind even tho he named just same to which you said "Definitely". That I needed to exclusively explain it many times is amazing.

Because he asked me this time!! I'm neither Bubbly, nor the captain.

At least this is how I understood it, given that he quoted me.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »

John correct me if I'm wrong...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:00:07 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

Deleted for the sake of a peaceful life.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:16:27 PM by john k » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:57:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »

John correct me if I'm wrong...

You're not wrong, Ovi. The album title rang a bell (I could even see the cover in my mind) and as you're a fan and much more knowledgeable on the subject it struck me as perhaps sensible to check.

I think the thing now is for me to carry on listening, as and when I find the time, and get back to you on it when I'm done.

RR, why don't you look at the links in my answering post in the "Oops" topic? I've kept it as clean as I can. Cool Guy

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »

I just made little post and look how this escalated. Why don't you tell this advice to Ovi? The guy made huuuuuuuuge deal of the tiny post. Maybe in America, Romania and Netherlands it is normal speech to swear but not where I live. It's not accepted and is rude.
Stop acting like you own this board. People can say whatever words they like.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »

john, I'm checking the 1st link - very interesting. youtube is very slow (and that's why I didn't yet listen to your Russian female composers). Talk later in the welcome thread.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx