gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:16:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pacific Ocean Blue
5 - 113 (75.3%)
4 - 24 (16%)
3 - 6 (4%)
2 - 2 (1.3%)
1 - 1 (0.7%)
0 - 4 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 134

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue (Dennis Wilson)  (Read 94711 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2013, 03:43:02 AM »

In my humble opinion. the best Beach Boys-related album to appear after the release of Pet Sounds (we did not get to hear SMiLE! officially until you-know-when) - no filler here. Every BB-album post-Pet Sounds has some weak(er) moments (if rather few), none here! Unforgivably ignored at the time of its release, f-ing influential + inspiring! Very simplistic lyrics, but not in an embarrassing way, honest and warm stuff. (same goes for all Dennis's solo stuff and most of his BB-tracks...)

Well said.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »

Happy 36th Anniversary today, Pacific Ocean Blue. It took me nearly ten years to finally hear it all, but man was it worth it. Spectacular album, Denny! 'River Song' is sooo good, it makes me forgive and forget 15 Big Ones. 'You & I' is absolutely beautiful, my favorite song on the album. 'Dreamer' is great, love the instrumentation and the groove. 'Thoughts of You' has that warmth and directness Dennis' best songs always had. Fantastic tune. The title track is simply better than every environmental-themed song the Beach Boys ever did, really cool. 'Farewell My Friend' is also really lovely, love the background vocals and the marimba feels. So warm and dreamy. 'Rainbows' is just about perfect and 'End of the Show' is beautiful and transcendent.

Man, what an album. Dennis is the OTHER genius in the Beach Boys, a genius in a different, unique way from his older brother Brian. Dennis had a gift for simple yet complex songwriting that emphasized real feeling. He will be forever missed.

Edit: whoops I said 35th.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:29:49 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »

Does it get better than this ? No sir, it does not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2013, 03:10:28 AM »

Epic album. Dennis Wilson's Pet Sounds!
Two favourites from this album would be "Friday Night", and "Thoughts of You".
Probably the only flaw in my opinion would be that the album is a little depressing. But still, it's a classic!
Why this is forgotten and virtually obscure outside of the BB's fan circles i don't understand?!
5 out of 5
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »

Well when I had the LP I favored side 2.. This is an excellent release And Dennis should be PROUD.. 4/5  I would give  Bambu 4/5 also..  You have all said what I would say so ill stop there..
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »

I absolutely love this album.

Is Cocktails officially on was it to be on Bambu?

Either way it's a great album and that track is beautiful. It's a shame we lost him so early into his life.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »

Epic album. Dennis Wilson's Pet Sounds!
Two favourites from this album would be "Friday Night", and "Thoughts of You".
Probably the only flaw in my opinion would be that the album is a little depressing. But still, it's a classic!
Why this is forgotten and virtually obscure outside of the BB's fan circles i don't understand?!
5 out of 5

Yea I agree, I wish he had looked happier on the cover Sad even though in his songs he was getting out all the pain and frustrations he had.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »

5/5.
Classic, and for me propably the best BB related album. Or at least as good as the best BB work (Love You, Pet Sounds..) River Song, Rainbows, Friday Night, Time, Farewell My Friend and Thoughts of You  are fantastic. What's Wrong, Moonshine, Dreamer, You and I, POB and End of The Show are great as well, but a little bit duller if I dare to say... It is depressing album, but that's for me one of the reasons it is so good. It's such a shame that Dennis Wilson and his music is still very unknown to the public. Songs like River Song or the earlier recording Lady should be that kinda songs that everyone knows.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2014, 02:54:16 AM »

Time is one of my favourite Dennis songs and I love the ending , it's goosebump raising in its brilliance. I interpret the song as moving through Dennis' feelings -hope, regret, loss and anger -with the thumping, thunderous outro fittingly representing the anger Dennis felt.
With you on this. 100%.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »

I give it a 4/5. Really cool album, it's great Dennis got his songs out there since the Beach Boys were seemingly ignoring his talent. It's a very personal collection of music, and with that in mind, Dennis' damaged voice is actually an asset. I take it as him saying "Life has hurt me, I've tried to escape with drugs and drink but that's hurt me too. I don't want to hide anymore, this is who I am, take it or leave it." While I think the assertion that it's "Dennis' Pet Sounds" is an insult to Brian's masterpiece, there's no doubt in my mind the group wouldve made better music had they listened to Dennis back in the '70s. It'd a tragedy Bambu and any other possible solo albums were never completed either.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

1. River Song - 5/5
  2. What's Wrong - 3/5
  3. Moonshine - 4/5
  4. Friday Night - 2/5
  5. Dreamer - 4/5
  6. Thoughts Of You - 5/5
  7. Time - 2/5
  8. You And I - 3/5
  9. Pacific Ocean Blues - 5/5
  10. Farewell My Friend - 5/5
  11. Rainbows - 5/5
  12. End Of The Show - 5/5

It's not a total masterpiece but in many ways it's the best BB solo album. River Song - what can you say? It's fantastic! Tug of Love should have made the cut over a few songs that did.
Overall 4/5

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »

Playing this album right now... "Thoughts Of You" ...my goodness.  Cry

Nobody associated with The Beach Boys ever did anything this powerful and hauntingly sad.  The one-two punch of "Thoughts Of You" followed by "Time" is classic.  For me, it not only seals the deal as Dennis' solo album being the best of all the band member's (certainly rivaling the best of brother Brian's solo work) -- but it also rivals some of the very best stuff in the entire Beach Boys canon.  It's so original.

To me it just highlights the massive talents of Dennis Wilson and the Wilson brothers three.  It just starts to scratch the surface of what we lost and never really got to see fully blossom.  Brian was "retired" just as he was beginning to really explore his musical ideas and when he came back, he was broken and beat up.  Carl never really could branch out too much given the responsibilities and "trappings" of keeping the band going.  And Dennis was clearly a different shade of genius like Brian, who was able to give us just a glimpse of his true abilities.  Soak it up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:07:36 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2016, 10:42:14 PM »

I listened to this tonight after Love You. Whoa, what a world of difference! I'm not one who thinks POB is a masterpiece, but it is properly produced, sung and played. Dennis had his own style which was nothing like Brian's - the Brian of the classic era, or the Brian of 15BO/LY. POB is a mature expression of an mature artist. His songwriting style is very unique - the songs don't necessarily go where you expect them to go. That said, it's far from my favorite BB's related release. Most of the songs don't stay with me after listening, and there are times when the production seems a bit over the top - the choir on River Song, for example. But these songs are a good insight into Dennis, the man. I give him credit for bravely stepping out of the protective shell of the Beach Boys.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »

I give it a 4/5. Really cool album, it's great Dennis got his songs out there since the Beach Boys were seemingly ignoring his talent. It's a very personal collection of music, and with that in mind, Dennis' damaged voice is actually an asset. I take it as him saying "Life has hurt me, I've tried to escape with drugs and drink but that's hurt me too. I don't want to hide anymore, this is who I am, take it or leave it."

Beautifully put, M, as always. Actually I came here to say that "End Of The Show" features one of the most heart-rending moments in pop, that high instrumental sixth at 1:09 in the linked version. In terms of sheer mournfulness I'd rank it with Richard and Levon's call and response in The Band's "Whispering Pines" and Gilmour's four-note chiming motif in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". The perfect closer for POB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxvv-vE8k88

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »

I have this album a 5, only because 10 was not an option.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2019, 02:52:03 AM »

Ha, yes. This album was the recent subject of the indefatigable Watamushi's discussion of BB songs at Hoffman, where the general opinion was that "Farewell My Friend" would have made a better album closer. "EOTS" to me sounds much more final and appropriate.

I bought the Deluxe reissue of POB to help ease Dennis into the UK album charts but I soon gave it away to a friend. The bootleg version burnt for me by a Capitol Board poster years earlier says it all and my precious copy of Ultimate Bambu easily takes care of the rest.     

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »

indefatigable 

JK, you've just expanded my vocabulary.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »

indefatigable 

JK, you've just expanded my vocabulary.

Glad to be of service, sir! Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2019, 10:59:09 AM »

Ha, yes. This album was the recent subject of the indefatigable Watamushi's discussion of BB songs at Hoffman, where the general opinion was that "Farewell My Friend" would have made a better album closer. "EOTS" to me sounds much more final and appropriate.

I bought the Deluxe reissue of POB to help ease Dennis into the UK album charts but I soon gave it away to a friend. The bootleg version burnt for me by a Capitol Board poster years earlier says it all and my precious copy of Ultimate Bambu easily takes care of the rest.     
I think "Thoughts of You" perhaps should have been the closer. TOY is one of those songs that leaves me totally drained, emotionally and spiritually, you know? I always quit listening to the album as soon as that song is over. I just can't hear anything else after that.

I'm not familiar with Ultimate Bamboo, as far as I know. I have a boot of songs from the sessions, and some of them are quite interesting. My favorite is the "dirty" ending of Wild Situation.  Evil

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »

I think "Thoughts of You" perhaps should have been the closer. TOY is one of those songs that leaves me totally drained, emotionally and spiritually, you know? I always quit listening to the album as soon as that song is over. I just can't hear anything else after that.

I see where you're coming from--those ascending strings at the end... But I'm happy with the way things are. So you only ever listen to side one!     

I'm not familiar with Ultimate Bamboo, as far as I know. I have a boot of songs from the sessions, and some of them are quite interesting. My favorite is the "dirty" ending of Wild Situation.  Evil

Sorry, got the spelling wrong--this Bamboo/Bambu business is utterly confusing at times. Grin

I think it's a fascinating compilatlon. With notes by Jason Penick--what more could one wish for? Roll Eyes 

http://www.danaddington.com/denny/newbamboo.html

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2019, 11:50:42 AM »

I see where you're coming from--those ascending strings at the end... But I'm happy with the way things are. So you only ever listen to side one!     

Sorry, got the spelling wrong--this Bamboo/Bambu business is utterly confusing at times. Grin

I think it's a fascinating compilatlon. With notes by Jason Penick--what more could one wish for? Roll Eyes 

http://www.danaddington.com/denny/newbamboo.html
Oh, I listen to it all. I just save TOY for last. I use it as kind of a "reflection", I guess. Maybe that's not quite the right word. I mean, you get all of this brilliant music from this guy who was very nearly as talented as his brother, but then at the end you get a picture of a guy who was haunted by his own demons.

This just got way deeper than I intended.  LOL

I remember seeing that website in the early 2000's when I was new to the internet and knew relatively little about Dennis. But I always wanted to get one of those cd's somehow.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx