gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:36:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pacific Ocean Blue
5 - 113 (75.3%)
4 - 24 (16%)
3 - 6 (4%)
2 - 2 (1.3%)
1 - 1 (0.7%)
0 - 4 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 134

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue (Dennis Wilson)  (Read 94749 times)
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »

I don't know if this has already been answered but can I hear crying at the end of It's Not Too Late? I read that Carl was emotional whilst recording his parts but is this him?
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »

I've been listening to this for the last couple weeks. At first i don't think I listened to it that much or even all the way through. But one time i started listening to what he was saying instead of just sitting there. It's almost kind of heartbreaking. The way he says what he says with the music thats playing. Jeez. It's so honest and open. You can tell he held nothing back. And after that i've beeen able to enjoy it immensely. The music reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd's album 'Wish You Were Here'. Considering a lot of these songs pre-date that by five years, Dennis might have literally been the genius that only few people claim. This album has a lot more future listens from me for sure. 5/5
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

If only ego and other such bullsh*t hadn't got in the way and the BB's had released material such as this in the late 70's instead of crap like MIU. Ah well... It's a great, inventive, surprising album from start to finish. Definately a 5. It's not perfect (What's Wrong is fairly mundane, the ending of Time doesn't really work...), but in being not quite perfect it somehow perfectly represents Dennis himself, who also seemingly had everything but was flawed. River Song is of course a masterpiece, and I also adore Moonshine and You & I. You gotta feel pity for those who don't 'get' it...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »

I don't know if this has already been answered but can I hear crying at the end of It's Not Too Late? I read that Carl was emotional whilst recording his parts but is this him?

Really? Just re-listened and I couldn't hear any crying, besides my own.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

the ending of Time doesn't really work

you mad bro? That's the best song on the album. Totally perfect. Especially the trumpet solo.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »

the ending of Time doesn't really work

you mad bro? That's the best song on the album. Totally perfect. Especially the trumpet solo.

Agreed.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

Nah, the end of Time is my least favourite bit - it ruins an otherwise spectacular song
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »

Really? Just re-listened and I couldn't hear any crying, besides my own.

I listened with good headphones in the dark last night, and yes at about 7 seconds left I do hear something. I think it could either be laughing or crying, not sure which or who though.
Paulos
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »

Time is one of my favourite Dennis songs and I love the ending , it's goosebump raising in its brilliance. I interpret the song as moving through Dennis' feelings -hope, regret, loss and anger -with the thumping, thunderous outro fittingly representing the anger Dennis felt.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »

I think Dennis was a master at having a song unexpectedly change direction (see Celebrate the News, etc), and there are several examples of him doing just this brilliantly on the album - River Song, Thoughts of You. But - for me at least - it doesn't quite come off with Time. 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »

And, hey, i'm in good company here:

From Andrew G Doe's excellent POB track by track review:

Time
(D. Wilson/K. Lamm-Wilson)

A collaboration with Karen - who presumably supplied the closely-observed lyric - the first section of this bipartite number features the haunting trumpet lines of Bill Lamb over Dennis' ominous Moog slabs and piano chords, and is sadly let down by the ensuing portion as it degenerates into a noisy tub-thumper of, frankly, no great musical merit. Spot the Floyd guitar riff.
Paulos
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »

Time

A collaboration with Karen - who presumably supplied the closely-observed lyric - the first section of this bipartite number features the haunting trumpet lines of Bill Lamb over Dennis' ominous Moog slabs and piano chords, and is sadly let down by the ensuing portion as it degenerates into a noisy tub-thumper of, frankly, no great musical merit. Spot the Floyd guitar riff.

I find myself agreeing with what Andrew says quite a lot of the time, on this however, I could not disagree more.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

Time

I find myself agreeing with what Andrew says quite a lot of the time, on this however, I could not disagree more.

Same.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »

I am completely unfamiliar with the songs on this album.

Is there any consensus (on this board? right!) of the best, say, 3 songs on POB?

Thanks

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »

I am completely unfamiliar with the songs on this album.

Is there any consensus (on this board? right!) of the best, say, 3 songs on POB?

Thanks

My favorites are Pacific Ocean Blues, Dreamer & Farewell My Friend

It's in my top 3 of anything released by any Beach Boys though, and I dig all of the tracks. The 2008 legacy edition has a killer 2nd disc as well.

Not the kind of album you can really "get" after just one listen though, so if you don't like it, give it another spin or three.

No mas, por favor.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:03 AM »

The best three tracks are: River Song (an epic masterpiece, and arguably Dennis' single greatest moment!), Moonshine (gorgeous ballad, with subtle but amazingly effective use of synth and a heartbreakingly sad fade) and You & I. I also love Friday Night for that incredible opening section and Thoughts Of You. The whole album is great, but yes agreed, it's a grower. Give it a few listens before passing judgement.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »

River Song, Thoughts of You, Rainbows.

Special mentions go to Pretty much every song on POB expect What's Wrong (boring) Tug Of Love, Holy Man, Love Remember Me, Piano Variations on Thoughts of You, It's Not Too Late, Constant Companion, He's A Bum..... but everybody's right - it does take time.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »

Special mentions go to Pretty much every song on POB expect What's Wrong (boring) Tug Of Love, Holy Man, Love Remember Me, Piano Variations on Thoughts of You, It's Not Too Late, Constant Companion, He's A Bum..... but everybody's right - it does take time.
"What's Wrong" = awesome! It's 'Dennis the menace' in a nutshell. One of the best songs to walk down a road to, feeling like Dion in "The Wanderer", looking at girls and enjoying the beginning of a good, sunny day.

Basically each of the songs you mentioned as inferior got something going for them. "Holy Man" for example is one of the most gorgeous things Dennis has ever written, imo. With or without the (excellent) Taylor Hawkins vocals.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:00:13 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

Is it just What's Wrong you dislike or is it all those songs mentioned also? If so - wrong, wrong, wrong. Tug Of Love is great, especially the middle section! It's Not Too Late? The contrast between Carl and Dennis works almost as magnificently as on Baby Blue. And Holy Man kicks arse - that fade, man! Incredible.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »

It actually didn't take time for me. POB was one of those albums that blew me away upon first listen.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »

Special mentions go to pretty much every song on POB except What's Wrong (boring), but the bonus tracks are too good Tug Of Love, Holy Man, Love Remember Me, Piano Variations on Thoughts of You, It's Not Too Late, Constant Companion, He's A Bum..... but everybody's right - it does take time.

Is it just What's Wrong you dislike or is it all those songs mentioned also? If so - wrong, wrong, wrong. Tug Of Love is great, especially the middle section! It's Not Too Late? The contrast between Carl and Dennis works almost as magnificently as on Baby Blue. And Holy Man kicks arse - that fade, man! Incredible.

No no, I f***ed up. I like everything except What's Wrong, and I cannot recite my lines for the show and post at the same time!  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2012, 05:13:29 PM »

Great album by Dennis. Full of nice tracks such as River Song, Farewell My Friend, Thoughts of You... The bonus tracks are great as well, All Alone, It's Not Too Late(Fantastic voals from Carl!), Only With You, and Constant Companion. Worth the listen.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

Listening to POB for the 1st time in months I thought I'd revive this thread by posting a couple of POB-related photos.  Cheesy

(I hope Jon doesn't mind me linking 2 of these from his official site...)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

Really lovely album. Calm and warm-hearted - I'm finding myself playing it regularly.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

In my humble opinion. the best Beach Boys-related album to appear after the release of Pet Sounds (we did not get to hear SMiLE! officially until you-know-when) - no filler here. Every BB-album post-Pet Sounds has some weak(er) moments (if rather few), none here! Unforgivably ignored at the time of its release, f-ing influential + inspiring! Very simplistic lyrics, but not in an embarrassing way, honest and warm stuff. (same goes for all Dennis's solo stuff and most of his BB-tracks...)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx