gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:20:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pacific Ocean Blue
5 - 113 (75.3%)
4 - 24 (16%)
3 - 6 (4%)
2 - 2 (1.3%)
1 - 1 (0.7%)
0 - 4 (2.7%)
Total Voters: 134

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue (Dennis Wilson)  (Read 97299 times)
The Trader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2006, 06:26:17 AM »

The outro to 'Time' is one of my favourite moments on any album every created..
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 10:24:53 AM »

I knew it would grow on me.

Great album.

You're still banned from the cool kids table.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 07:55:27 PM »

1st to 5th grade they made everyone that was in the same class sit at the same two tables, but there was always a girl table and a boy table. My classmates would put my lunch on the girl table when I wasn't looking and then the girls would laugh at me when I went over to get it. Sometimes I didn't even bother.

6th grade I was sitting at a large table by myself when a group of bullies came over and told me to leave or they'd kick my ass. I left, but a lunch-aide witnessed this and made me sit with them the entire year.

7th grade I set my stuff down at an empty table, went to get food, and when I came back some girls were sitting at the table and they had moved my books to some other table, which had other people's backpacks and stuff there too. I sat down there, and became aquaintances with the kids that sat there.

In 8th grade the two kids from 7th grade were in the same lunch period as me again, so I sat with them for a few days until their actual friends found them and then there was no room for me so they kicked me off the table. I then sat with the fat kid, the closet homosexual, and the girl who liked anime way too much.

In 9th grade I didn't sit with anyone for a good two or three weeks. Now, I wouldn't've had a problem with this myself, but my mom always had to make sure I was sitting with someone at lunch; she knew how much of a loser I was. She forced me to change my lunch period. Luckily, or so I thought at the time, I was now in the lunch period of the closet homosexual -- maybe he would let me sit with him, I thought. But unfortunately he ended up befriending some mean seniors, one of which still owes me 35 cents by the way, so I was all by my lonesome. I chose the empty table next to theirs. This was already some kid's table, but he let me sit there anyway. Bad idea. He would make me play brutal games with him where he would fling coins into my knuckles, or we would have to continously punch each other in the arm until one of us gave up. I was always the one that gave up. He also got the people at the senior table to throw food at me alot.

10th grade I sat with a bunch of dirtbag freshmen I didn't know; they made fun of me alot.

11th grade the lunchroom was really crowded, so I couldn't even sit at a table by myself. I started to eat standing up, leaning against the wall, when I spotted some nerd I knew from my science class, also with nowhere to sit. We ate standing up together for the first few days, until some girl he vaguely knew invited us over to her extremely crowded table, directly adjacent to which there was a table full of bullies. Well, with me and the nerd sitting at the table, the bullies didn't have as much room as they liked, so the biggest one of the bunch physically removed me. Then I found a half broken seat at a table right next to the garbage can, so I sat there for the rest of the year, constantly bludgeoned in the head by people's trash. Sitting next to the trashcan was good, though, because I barfed alot that year.

12th grade I sat with the nerd's nerd friends; they were all disgusted by me, though.

River Song, pretty nice song, eh?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »

That was a great post Mr. Aegir.

So, at what point do you discover music?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »

I discovered my own music around December of 9th grade. I discovered music for real (that is, until this point I was content listening to novelty songs and disco compilation CDs) the summer between 10th and 11th.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2006, 04:01:10 AM »

I had a dream last night, that I was in a second-hand charity shop (thrift store) searching among some old dusty vinyl.  I was looking for a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue and I somehow got it into my head that it might be among these old records.
It wasn't, but there was a whole load of Beach Boys rarities instead  - all of which I snapped up for the grand price of £1 each.  Still no POB though.
What does it mean?... Huh
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2006, 11:26:29 PM »

Really great, just wish it had been recorded five years earlier when Dennis had his full vocal range.

I used to think that, but now I think it sounds better WITH his voice in the shape it was. Dennis sounds so soulful on this album. Not only is it the best BB solo album, it is in the top 5 of ANYTHING BB related. My wife actually feels that it actually is THE best. Who knows...it just might be. Some of the songs could be played on the radio now and not sound dated. It's just that good.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2006, 01:20:37 AM »

First time I heard the richard Ashcroft thing that Brian did the bvs for a few years ago, my only thought was "he's been listening to POB a lot". Turns out I was right.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2006, 03:20:51 AM »

Really great, just wish it had been recorded five years earlier when Dennis had his full vocal range.

I used to think that, but now I think it sounds better WITH his voice in the shape it was. Dennis sounds so soulful on this album. Not only is it the best BB solo album, it is in the top 5 of ANYTHING BB related. My wife actually feels that it actually is THE best. Who knows...it just might be. Some of the songs could be played on the radio now and not sound dated. It's just that good.

I can only go on River Song really but I did like the 1975 In The Back Of My Mind a lot. I guess we should be glad it wasn't recorded after 1980. I see your point though Thoughts Of You may have been more pretty in 72, but in 1977 it has more emotional context. I have to admit it IS one of the most unique albums I have ever heard, and also the best solo Beach Boys album by far.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »

Such a spiritual album.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

i found this in my town's record shop about 6 months ago and i have really fallen in love with it. i would give it a strong 4, and rank it among the best of the bb's solo albums. river song, moonshine, you & i, & time are among my favs.

interesting side note: i was born the day that he died. dec 28, 1983.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2007, 05:04:30 AM »

I bought this album back in '99 when I was 16 for about $25 at the record store I worked at...and I instantly fell in love with it. I didn't have particularly high hopes about it, I didn't know what to expect...but I was in awe of it after I listened to it. It's so moving, so highly emotional. I wish it were out on CD (or at least reissued vinyl) so that more people could hear it. I, for one, believe that his rasp of a voice actually enhanced the material (not to say that his earlier, less 'hoarse' compositions weren't moving, of course...because they were). When he sings about pain in this album...you feel it. And when he sings about love, you believe it. It's just a truly wonderful work of art.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2007, 02:00:23 AM »

5 from me and one of my all time favourite albums. Definately the best Beach Boys solo album. I love every song on it. Like a lot of others I didn't quite get into it on the first few listens but after that it just got better and better like wine (as somebody else described it). I think you have to be in the right mindset and situation in your life for this album to intially strike you as the masterpiece it is. Until then I think it is hard to get into it. But once you get into it, it becomes a really rewarding experience.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »

Pacific Ocean Blue.....

Brilliant record...just heard it yesterday for the first time...I give a 5....not that it is as good as other albums that I've given 5's to, but it is so cool compared to any other BB solo album...(not counting BWPS which to me isn't a typical solo record)...I feel Dennys' pain in the music...if he could do this I'm sure he could've easily come up with more advanced and awesome music...
So sad, Murray abused his children...so sad...to think of all the BS they had to go through and chosing drugs and alcohol as a means of dealing with it...

I can see why some BB fans don't like this record...but not me. I like it because the music helps me to make sense and embrace the BS I've been going through...not only is this album incredibly sensitive and emotional but it has more balls than anything the BB's have done...it's definelty funky at times, always soulful, sometimes drags...but truly entertaining and comforting if the music speaks to you...(like any other music I guess).

I dig his vocals, more so at this time than in any other time period. Dennis rules...Rest In Peace you crazy bastard...  Drinking BuddiesCry Smokin  Drum Rock!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:13:39 AM by noname » Logged
thomasogg
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »

This album is a freekin' masterpiece! The sooner it gets an official release, pref in a nice big juicy box set with a load of out-takes and Bamboo material, the better! I adore Holland and Surf's Up, but i'd say POB is by the far the best Beach Boy related release on '70s, and definately the greatest solo BB album (and yes, that includes Smile 2004). If anyone can name me a better song recorded by a B Boy in the '70s than the mighty 'River Song' i'll eat my own chin! The way it changes track throughout but constantly remains seamless - incredible tune!! 'Moonshine' is another favourite - really sets my bottom lip wobbling, what an emotinal tune! Perfection. The intro to Friday Night makes the hairs on the back of my neck (and occasionally the ones on my balls too) stand on end, while You & I is just... It's just such a great album! I'm mystified when BB fans claim not to like it, coz it ticks all the boxes of what the BBs accomplish when at their best: emotional, experimental, ridiculously melodic.. 10/10.
thomasogg
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »

Perfect. 5.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

Wink

Do you?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »

HA! You just went back a YEAR AND A HALF just for that?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
thomasogg
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »

Perfect. 5.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

Wink

Yes. I am the lord of time.

Do you?

HA! You just went back a YEAR AND A HALF just for that?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »

Not, however, the master of quotes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

thomasogg
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2007, 10:25:46 PM »

Can i quote u on that?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2007, 04:58:35 AM »

If anyone can name me a better song recorded by a B Boy in the '70s than the mighty 'River Song' i'll eat my own chin!

How about:

Surf's Up
'Til I Die
Forever
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Cool Cool Water
Long Promised Road
Cuddle Up
Make It Good
Sail On Sailor
California Saga: California
Only With You
Funky Pretty
The Trader
Steamboat
Roller Skating Child
The Night Was So Young
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »

If anyone can name me a better song recorded by a B Boy in the '70s than the mighty 'River Song' i'll eat my own chin!

How about:

Surf's Up
'Til I Die
Forever
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Cool Cool Water
Long Promised Road
Cuddle Up
Make It Good
Sail On Sailor
Only With You
Funky Pretty
The Trader
Steamboat
Roller Skating Child
The Night Was So Young

No Good Timin'?

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2007, 10:48:57 PM »

How about:

Surf's Up
'Til I Die
Forever
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Cool Cool Water
Long Promised Road
Cuddle Up
Make It Good
Sail On Sailor
Only With You
Funky Pretty
The Trader
Steamboat
Roller Skating Child
The Night Was So Young

No Good Timin'?

I was only listing a few. I don't necessarilly believe that all of them are better than River Song.. I just wanted to see thomasogg eat his own chin.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »

I don't necessarilly believe that all of them are better than River Song.. I just wanted to see thomasogg eat his own chin.

Considering his history of almost exclusive Dennis-loving on this board, my guess is you might get him to credit Forever, Cuddle Up, Make it Good, ONly With You and Steamboat. It's pretty clear where his head is when it comes to Beach Boys, especially in the late 60s through late 70s.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:32 AM »

I don't necessarilly believe that all of them are better than River Song.. I just wanted to see thomasogg eat his own chin.

Considering his history of almost exclusive Dennis-loving on this board, my guess is you might get him to credit Forever, Cuddle Up, Make it Good, ONly With You and Steamboat. It's pretty clear where his head is when it comes to Beach Boys, especially in the late 60s through late 70s.

I can totally understand having a favourite member of the band. Nothing wrong with that. And in fact I have shown Beach Boys music to my friends and a few of them have liked Dennis's stuff better. It's just when you say "this one isn't as good as Dennis" etc.. I mean everything has to be compared to Dennis and nothing is better than Dennis. But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx