-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Color me suspicious...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Color me suspicious...  (Read 29375 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »

You know, I really think that most blueboarders are more tactful than they're given credit for. If I want to criticize Brian, I take it to another board. Period. Because while I know that while Brian isn't perfect and that this can be discussed, I also realize that the blueboard is Brian's "home" on the Web, and it's not polite to say certain things about a person in that person's home.

The people posting that Brian looked terrible or whatever they said were NEW names-- at least, I didn't recognize them. These were not blueboarders before that day. They probably just looked for Brian's Web site after the KC Honors, found it, and decided to comment, possibly not realizing that Brian's family reads the board. We have to remember that for most new Brian fans, the blueboard is the first stop on the Internet. So it gets people who are maybe less familiar with Brian than more seasoned fans. They're more prone to see things in black/white, good/bad terms, and they're less prone to see Brian with a critical eye. Therefore, they gush, even when maybe a performance wasn't so great, whereas the more seasoned fans may say nothing and take their criticism to another board. And this happens on a lot of fan boards. Not just the blueboard (ever seen McCartney's board?).
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »

I agree it probably was the fact that people saw the KCH show and sought out info on the search engines, and were led to Brian's site.  They registered for the board and let their opinions be known.  I didn't read the posts, just Melinda's reaction.  I wonder how these newly-interested fans felt reading Melinda's response?  She attacked them, rather than informing them, which she could have tried to do in a subtle and tactful way that wouldn't be harmful to her husband.  Many people don't know Brian's health history.  He does look different than other people.  He doesn't look as well as some people who have suffered from similar conditions, including Roky Erickson.  Roky at least can look geniunely happy at times in public settings.   Brian never does; when he does smile, it always looks forced.  I don't know how you can explain that to people, because I'm sure it's complicated, and there are times when Brian is just as happy as any other person, I'm sure.  It just doesn't always show.  I actually almost cried when I saw that tribute, partly because of how Brian looked.  I was fully prepared for him to look that way, too, and he really didn't look all that bad, but it still made me sad.  Melinda should realize there are probably members of the public who maybe were insensitive in their posts, but still have a lot of compassion for and even worry about her husband.  She had a tendency to be way too thin-skinned, take things more personally than Brian himself does, and not be very helpful to the cause.  Her post about Mike Love and the Beach Boys was another example of that; even if she feels that way, I'm sure even their attorneys would probably advise her to say as little as possible about some of those things.  I'm glad she's a good, loyal wife and companion to Brian.  But as a PR person, she might be better off not posting on that board.  Either don't post, don't read it if it hurts that much, or just get rid the board entirely. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »

Well put, fm.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wilsonista
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »

As much as it hurts to say this, I agree with both of you gents.
If Melinda toned down the bitchiness, I think she would have a LOT more support outside the Blue Board.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2007, 06:11:36 AM »

I don't think she thought about what we were just discussing-- that there might be new fans who aren't familiar with Brian and his situation. Instead, she just scolded the board. She should have put more thought into it.

On the other hand, she is his wife and therefore is naturally protective of him. If anyone can be expected to be biased, it's her.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2007, 08:10:40 AM »

Still - anyone who posts on message boards with any kind of regularity knows that posts can take on a life of their own, and once they're out there, they generally can't be retrieved - ESPECIALLY on THAT board, the way it was configured at the time she posted!  Rule #1 of posting is to take a deep breath and make SURE you want to post before hitting "post."  That's just common sense, as well as board etiquette, and i don't know if she remembered that rule.

But it's gone now, and i'm not trying to trash her. 

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »

Edit: Why was this thread moved to The Sandbox?

Because the discussion fits better in this section of the board, it's not really a "general on topic" discussion regarding the Beach Boys, but a discussion on messageboards.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
sherryluvsbrian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »

I'm a huge fan of brian's and I always tell it like I see it. Brian is a celeb and with the fame comes the good and bad, he is used to it by now. He's a grown man and can handle what he reads about himself. His wife seems to be very caring toward his feeling but he's not a child and don't need to be treated like one.When a person is protected from reality, they never know what's really going on around them. I'm sure brian know he has meny fans and thats all he cares about. We all take the good with the bad, It's the way life is for everyone, nomatter what we been through or what meds we take.

If you want to know me, listen to my music.
donutbandit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2007, 07:31:02 PM »

I agree with the oft suggested idea that brianwilson.com should not have a message board. It has always attracted loonies, groupies and fanbois. Brian has certainly been around show biz long enough to expect anything and everything. He should have a thick enough skin by now, even for him. Melinda is probably the impetus for the message board to begin with, and she seems too thin skinned to deal with it. People will type things into a keyboard they would never say to another person face to face, because they have no feeling that they are dealing with another real person, only words on a screen.

Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with Melinda's response in general. I agree wholeheartedly with her about Mike. I think she may have signed on hoping to see all the praise and accolades from the regulars, not realizing that the airing would inspire many new people to register and post, people who either know nothing about Brian, but also people who may have been jealous (Beatle fans are some I can think of.)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

"We are currently upgrading the Message Board and will be back up for the New Year!"

"When?" one wonders.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Wilsonista
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

I agree with the oft suggested idea that brianwilson.com should not have a message board. It has always attracted loonies, groupies and fanbois. Brian has certainly been around show biz long enough to expect anything and everything. He should have a thick enough skin by now, even for him. Melinda is probably the impetus for the message board to begin with, and she seems too thin skinned to deal with it. People will type things into a keyboard they would never say to another person face to face, because they have no feeling that they are dealing with another real person, only words on a screen.

Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with Melinda's response in general. I agree wholeheartedly with her about Mike. I think she may have signed on hoping to see all the praise and accolades from the regulars, not realizing that the airing would inspire many new people to register and post, people who either know nothing about Brian, but also people who may have been jealous (Beatle fans are some I can think of.)

Paul McCartney was offered one in 2003 but didn't go to the ceremony because his daughter to Heather Mills had recently been born. The KC perceived this as a snub and gave it to Paul Simon instead.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:59 AM »

Are you sure? The only reason I question this is because the honorees are announced months earlier and given in early December, and a quick Internet search shows that Beatrice McCartney was born on October 30. But maybe he just wanted to spend time with her.

Anyway, I think Paul Simon deserved it more.  Evil

(And I'm a huge Beatles fan.)

...Ah, okay, I found the info. The KC announced that Paul was a recipient in 2002, and then Paul became the first person ever to say he could not attend, citing an "inescapable personal obligation." (It was a wedding.)   He was expected to be named as an honoree again in 2003, but the Kennedy Center issued a statement saying, "Paul McCartney will not be receiving a Kennedy Center Honor." I guess you don't snub the Kennedy Center. I hope McCartney gets the honor (the KC would look pretty stupid to ignore him for much longer), but I'm glad Brian got it before him.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:30:53 AM by Amy B. » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »

Thanks for the correcvtion. I knew Macca was on tap to get one but didn't.
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »

...Ah, okay, I found the info. The KC announced that Paul was a recipient in 2002, and then Paul became the first person ever to say he could not attend, citing an "inescapable personal obligation." (It was a wedding.)   He was expected to be named as an honoree again in 2003, but the Kennedy Center issued a statement saying, "Paul McCartney will not be receiving a Kennedy Center Honor." I guess you don't snub the Kennedy Center. I hope McCartney gets the honor (the KC would look pretty stupid to ignore him for much longer), but I'm glad Brian got it before him.

Interesting...another way the KCH is more prestigious than other awards shows.  That "not here so I/we accept on his behalf" scene will never happen.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »

Re: the blueboard...

It's back, and badder than ever.

By badder, I obviously mean worse. 

Or should I say, iobviouslymeanworse.   LOL What is that guy's problem?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:23:47 PM by Vote Brian Wilson in 2008! » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »

Re: the blueboard...

It's back, and badder than ever.

By badder, I obviously mean worse. 

Or should I say, iobviouslymeanworse.   LOL What is that guy's problem?

LOL  LOL

Whoever he is, I give him kudos for making the Blueboard an even worse place than it was before!

I posted there twice, then realized that board was crap, and never looked back. Looking at the various threads, I don't regret it!  Grin

Edit: "What I Did on My BlueBoard Vacation.....your essay is due now!"

I mean come ON! Don't they have anything else to do? Is writing on the Blueboard their one and only "worthwhile" occupation? It seems like the Blueboard is the LIFE of some people there.  Shocked

If I was a Blueboarder I'd actually THANK Michael DeMartin for shutting the board down and sparing me a bunch of stupid off-topic discussions ("Who enjoys dish-washing?") and the 456622th "What is your favorite BW song?" topic.  Undecided

This has actually had some positive effects: some people have discovered they had a life outside of "lurking aimlessly at the blueboard"

(and before some blueboarders start telling me that I'm generalizing, I'm not - I've met a few Blueboarders that were normal people. A few others, less so)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:21:45 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2008, 06:17:30 AM »

This is not going to make me popular, but ...I don't mind the blueboard at all. If each message board is a clique, then the blueboard is the dorky lunchtable--the people with mouthguards and big goofy smiles. I am not really a "weirdo," but I've always gravitated towards them. To me, it's refreshing to see people with such unabashed enthusiasm, and it's nice to read the posts from people who are just discovering BW, as opposed to people who are already cynical and "in the know" (although I enjoy those too). The blueboard is the one board where they don't waste their time ridiculing or dissecting the characters of other message boards, and making assumptions about the private lives of the people who post there. Right now the blueboard has some enthusiastic and touching reviews of the Sydney shows. So yes, I enjoy going there, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Don't like a post? Skip it. It doesn't have to be such a big deal. It's just a message board for a pop singer. If people spent this much time and energy critiquing our government, maybe we'd be somewhere.

It takes all kinds in this world...
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2008, 06:41:22 AM »

Don't like a post? Skip it.

I actually skip the whole Blueboard. You are right about the posts written by people who have just discovered BW, though!

If people spent this much time and energy critiquing our government, maybe we'd be somewhere.

So true!  Cheesy

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »

So yes, I enjoy going there, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Don't like a post? Skip it. It doesn't have to be such a big deal. It's just a message board for a pop singer. If people spent this much time and energy critiquing our government, maybe we'd be somewhere.

It takes all kinds in this world...

I think this is my first (and last) post on the disappearance of the Blueboard--and so suspicious it was!

And the post says (in regard to Amy's post quoted above): Amen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »

I think it would be just great to be able to honestly show disinterest and to zone out at meetings I sometimes have to attend.

Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy and must consider that others might think I have the wrong attitude. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: