-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Color me suspicious...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Color me suspicious...  (Read 29885 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »

... maybe even cynical, but the day after Melinda goes on the Bloo to defend Brian after many posters said he looked 'bored' during the Kennedy Center telecast (no, he didn't, he looked eaxctly like he does at any such event - like he'd rather be anywhere else), the Bloo suddenly vanishes but for this message:

Wishing everyone very Happy Holidays!

We are currently upgrading the Message Board and will be back up for the New Year!

Thank you all for your support - we'll see you very soon!

Any thoughts on what this upgrade might entail ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:08:10 AM »

... maybe even cynical, but the day after Melinda goes on the Bloo to defend Brian after many posters said he looked 'bored' during the Kennedy Center telecast (no, he didn't, he looked eaxctly like he does at any such event - like he'd rather be anywhere else), the Bloo suddenly vanishes but for this message:

Wishing everyone very Happy Holidays!

We are currently upgrading the Message Board and will be back up for the New Year!

Thank you all for your support - we'll see you very soon!

Any thoughts on what this upgrade might entail ?

I have no idea Andrew but I found it strange too. I HOPE that they make it similar to most forums where the messages are kept permanently (eg: like this forum), because it sucks when some of Ian's posts, Jon's posts, Mark Linett's posts or indeed your posts are only there for a few days.
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:19:28 AM »

Yes, AGD...just went there myself.  Don't tell me they're figuring out how to tighten the filter even more.  Was wondering if she came by unannounced yesterday and poor MDM was left a little flustered  by some of the posts still up?

Quite the debacle yesterday.  Kind of funny how dead it was there last night.   Reminds you of a class of schoolkids  who are sheepishly quiet after the teacher comes back in the room and chews them out for being unruly.    police
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 07:21:55 AM »

I remember reading on another board recently (but unfortunately my memory is not helping me out on which one this was) on the current (as in: until a couple of hours ago) messageboard being not that user-friendly as it should be.... so maybe they're going to improve it on that matter.

But my guess is as good as anyone else's...

EDIT: I missed the whole discussion of yesterday/last night, too bad, I'm pretty curious now...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:39:16 AM by HEY SANTA » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:33 AM »

AGD, perfect topic to liven up a usually slow weekend...

We've read in all of the books, over and over, that Brian Wilson is an extremely sensitive person, so much so, that even the slightest criticism can send him into retreat and self-doubt.

Maybe a message board isn't something that Brian and/or Melinda should have on their website.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »

I missed the controversy...  did anyone save the text so it can be posted here?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 07:29:44 AM »

Well, the blue board is often quiet at night (particularly a Friday night), after the UK fans (who probably make up the majority of posters) have gone out or are asleep.

Maybe Brian wanted to look at the board and Melinda didn't want him to see those posts. Melinda should understand, though, that many of the blueboard posters are newer fans who may not understand Brian. Also, the KC Honors brought some new people to the blueboard. Some of them were the ones commenting on Brian's appearance.

Oh, well. I hope they change the format of the board.
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »

I missed the controversy...  did anyone save the text so it can be posted here?

The gist of it was some morons kept posting how he looked lethargic/tired/didn't even smile at the fans.  I remember the first right after the KCH Wednesday night had the subject line:  What's Wrong With Brian Wilson?  Some even joked he was napping when he was closing his eyes during "Love & Mercy".  The typical  old stereotyped crapola.....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »

We've read in all of the books, over and over, that Brian Wilson is an extremely sensitive person, so much so, that even the slightest criticism can send him into retreat and self-doubt.

Maybe a message board isn't something that Brian and/or Melinda should have on their website.

Based on what I've been told (and observed) over the last few years, I have the strongest doubts that Brian so much as looks at the Bloo of his own volition.

The main problem with the Bloo is that a proportion of posters see what they want to see, or manipulate what they see into what they want to see. They expected Brian to be all happy and smiley during the Kennedy Center, and when it was pointed out that he wasn't, went into full defensive mode. As did Melinda, and quite rightly so. It's one thing to say to yourself that Brian wasn't turning cartwheels in the aisles, quite another to post it on his own message board. Brian is NOT comfortable in these situations, but he had to be there, and he did his best. Last year, at the UK Music HOF induction, when he wasn't performing or accepting the nomination, he was totally zoned out (I was maybe 40 feet away, in the mosh pit - a very posh mosh pit I have to say). This behaviour is nothing new.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 07:43:53 AM »

The main problem with the Bloo is that a proportion of posters see what they want to see, or manipulate what they see into what they want to see.

This is not an issue that is isolated to the blueboard. People on this very board were doing the same. And people on the Shut Down board, too. The blueboard probably has the widest range of fans, from the very newest to the most experienced veterans, so you get a wide range of responses to a major event like this. There were many new names on the blueboard after the KC Honors who were posting specifically because they saw the show and wanted to comment on Brian. Some posted critically, some were concerned, and some were defensive. The same range occurred among the regular blueboaders. There were some who wondered why Brian looked the way he looked, some who said, "He looked great!" and some, like me, who said, "I can't blame him for looking that way. I'd be uncomfortable in front of a camera too."

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:03 AM »

The thing I like about the Bloo is its boundless enthusiasm, but most of the time it's used in the most acritical manner imaginable.  A basic tenet of Blooness is that absolutely everything Brian Wilson has done, does or ever will do it utterly perfect and no-one is allowed to criticize. Reminds me of The Wizard of Oz - "pay no attention to the man behind the screen !"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »

Based on what I've been told (and observed) over the last few years, I have the strongest doubts that Brian so much as looks at the Bloo of his own volition.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if Brian goes on the computer at all. But I can envision a scenario, where, out of curiosity (?), Melinda signs on the message board, becomes upset with what she reads, but feels obligated (??) to share the messages with Brian. She seems like the type of person who believes in laying it all out on the table.

I can also mildly envision a scenario where Brian might be "aware" of the message board, and request someone (Melinda ?) to pull it up and read the comments TO HIM. I mean, let's be honest, Brian isn't the busiest guy in the world, and a way of passing the time might be checking out his website.

Regardless, negative comments have no positive effect on Brian. We've been told repeatedly that Brian needs positive reinforcement and encouragement. I'm glad he doesn't read my posts. police 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »

A lot of people on the blueboard are of the persuasion that Brian can do no wrong. But others just don't want to say anything critical about Brian on his own board. They go onto other boards to do that. Hence the blueboard's repution as the land of rainbows and lollipops.

Yes, SJS, according to Melinda, Brian asked her to go onto the board and read him the reactions to the KC Honors show, and when she went on and read some posts to herself, she was appaled and had to sift through to find some positive ones to read to Brian. That's why she had that reaction. I think it's possible that she then asked MDM to wipe all posts from the board and start fresh.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »

A lot of people on the blueboard are of the persuasion that Brian can do no wrong. But others just don't want to say anything critical about Brian on his own board. They go onto other boards to do that. Hence the blueboard's repution as the land of rainbows and lollipops.

And fruitcakes.  Smiley

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »

If the people on the blueboard are what you consider loopy, then you have truly led a sheltered life.   Smiley

Funny how so many people visit the blueboard but only a small percent actually consider themselves blueboarders. Blueboarder? Oh, no. That's all the _other_ people who read the board. I'm not a blueboarder. I just go there to see what people are posting and post a few things myself. Grin
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »

The thing I like about the Bloo is its boundless enthusiasm, but most of the time it's used in the most acritical manner imaginable.  A basic tenet of Blooness is that absolutely everything Brian Wilson has done, does or ever will do it utterly perfect and no-one is allowed to criticize. Reminds me of The Wizard of Oz - "pay no attention to the man behind the screen !"

Nothing wrong with criticism, as long as it's tactfully phrased.  Opening the topic with "What's Wrong with..."  can be construed as harsh directed at anyone, never mind a confirmed fragile ego such as Brian's.  Alas, too many just don't think before they speak.  That's probably what set off a lot of the regular Blooeys.

Just seems kind of ironic spelling words like "ball" without substituting a letter with a symbol won't be printed at the BB.  Yet, the whole kerfuffle yesterday didn't even involve "ball", "boot" or the other commonly filtered out words.
The Goat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 09:25:02 AM »

And fruitcakes.  Smiley

Heh heh...And there's plenty of nuts in fruitcakes.  (Nuts...would that clear the Bloo filter?)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:29 AM »

I believe Melinda stated that she was "appauled."  Whatever that means.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Mlondon
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »

Hey there,

I think ya might be reading too much into this message board thing.
No conspiracy goin' on...in the course of my biz I just spoke to DeMartin.
They just want to try to make the board a little easier to navigate.

Th...th...that's all folks!

Happy New Year.
 3D
~ Mark London

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »

Obviously not a Macca fan.

donutbandit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »

They sure need to do something. The inability to thread messages is very annoying, and is why I stopped going there long ago. Read a message, back out, read the next one, so on....
AWoPS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

They sure need to do something. The inability to thread messages is very annoying, and is why I stopped going there long ago. Read a message, back out, read the next one, so on....

Actually, you didn't have to back out and read the next one.  There was a link within each message, I don't recall what the wording was, but if you chose that link rather than backing out it put you right back in the board at the thread you just clicked.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 12:31:06 PM »

Yeah, well, I just spelled the word wrong too, and I'm a writer and editor. Everyone makes typos.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 12:42:26 PM »

Obviously not a Macca fan.

My thought exactly.  Though you'd think she would be.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »

We're bustin' ass, Amy...she didn't proof-read her post, pure and simple.  No sin...but it leaves you open to gettin' yer ass busted.  Maybe the new board will have a spell-check function.
;-)

Mark - good news.  I"m glad it's nothing sinister, and i'm also VERY glad it will be more easily navigated!  Of course you KNOW that people are going to complain about it...
;-)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: