gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680771 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 12:14:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy import CDs  (Read 1733 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:36:24 AM »

Anyone know what's special about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Days-Nights-Beach-Boys/dp/B0000561R1/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219152018&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-Limited-Japanese-Beach-Boys/dp/B0017W7FKI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219152018&sr=1-10

I've never heard of anyone paying over £60 for a BB cd - what's going on here? Would they be the 'flat masters' as alluded to in the Smiley thread? As I search amazon uk by release date I see there are loads of these Jap imports for Brit fans.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:41:51 AM »

I would not know. I thought the Past Masters (for that is their real name) are packaged in a tiny 'LP' cardboard sleeve with the obligatory OBI. I never saw any advantage in these imitation LP sleeves anyway. But you could mail Amazon about it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SG7
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »

What I like about Japanese imports is that at times they sound more like the record then some other versions on CD (I think I heard somewhere the actual master wasn't used, but a rip of the vinyl??) My personal favorite is Past Masters. I have 20/20 and Party on that and they sound amazing! My only regret is that I didn't buy all the Past Masters when I saw them the 1st time  Sad
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:11 AM »

These are likely the "mini LP" reproduction sleeves - the mastering is the same as the 2001 2fers.  they are expensive because they are imports and have the mini lp sleeve - a lot of people collect those.  Some people think that Japanese pressings of identical masterings sound better - I have yet to be convinced this is possible, but some swear by it - better CD pressing equipment, lasers to put the dots on, who knows.

The Pastmasters are in regular old style jewelcases.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »

I would not know. I thought the Past Masters (for that is their real name) are packaged in a tiny 'LP' cardboard sleeve with the obligatory OBI. I never saw any advantage in these imitation LP sleeves anyway. But you could mail Amazon about it?

Well, given that they have no bonus tracks, I'm guessing that they are the versions that have been mastered flat as alluded to by Bicyclerider:

A dub of the master tape was made with no noise reduction and no EQ, and sent to Japan and used as is to make the CD's - these CD's are basically like listening to the master tapes, as assembled by Brian and Chuck.

I guess its pleasing to see that these things are available. I am something of a completest, but I don't know that I can justify buying them all for a third time (I already have the 1990 and 2001 2fers). But the 'bass heavy and consequently a little "dark" sounding' aspect does kind of appeal...

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx