gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:27:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awake  (Read 3747 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

I love this song!  Grin It just might be the best of all of Brian's overlooked songs. Does anybody agree? I think it would be interesting if Brian started doing it in his concerts. He can't hit the high notes anymore, obviously, but I think the song would suit his "mature" voice of today. I think it could work, with a few different key changes.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

Well Brian didn't write it but his demo was a revalation when I first heard. It proved that Brian had yet to decline creatively as late as 1971 and was a sharp contrast to the 1976 Love You demos.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:25:37 AM »

What year was the demo recorded in? To me, you can hear the first signs of his voice starting to get "thin". Maybe it's just the sound quality. To me it sounds like his falsetto isn't as "pure". It's a little more sharp, or forced.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:46:38 AM »

1971 and to me it sounds better then ever. The sound on it is a little muffled.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:55:49 AM »

I love Brians voice on this, this is my favourite era of his voice, I liked it when his falsetto was a little thinner, he sounded more Mickey Mouse-ish.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »

I love this song too and I agree with MBE, his voice sounds great; reminiscent of the end of Forever (a cappella version). Sounds like his voice might be double tracked.  Also, it is a "demo".  Maybe he just woke up (no pun intended) and gave it a whirl.  I love it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »

The demo was recorded during the first week of October 1971, along with "Silly Walls", on Brian's personal 8-track. Tape op was Diane Rovell.

The Spring version was recorded the next day.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »

wow, there's a huge difference between the BW-demo and the Spring version.... and that within 24 hours...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:06:26 AM »

Yeah SH, I wonder who all played on the Spring version.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

wow, there's a huge difference between the BW-demo and the Spring version.... and that within 24 hours...

Oops, mea culpa - the Spring version was recorded on the 8th, the demo sometime in the week before that..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »

Still that the arrangement was done so quickly is quite an achievement.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »

I also like the early 70's voice Brian possessed. One of my favorite vocals is also one of his shortest: On my way to sunny Californ-I-A. The Awake demo is one of my all time favorite Brian Vocals. It kind of reminds me of Jonathan Donahue from Mercury Rev. Beautiful.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »

So, the obvious next questions are: Who is Floyd Tucker (the credited writer of Awake), has anyone heard his version of the song, and did he write/record anything else?

And yes, Brian's vocal on the demo is absolutely wonderful. One comment: to me, the vocal doesn't sound like Brian until the falsetto kicks in. Has anyone else thought this?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »

I think theres another copy floating around where someone tried to process the recording. It sounds hollow and much different then one that I was originally given.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 01:13:24 AM »

So, the obvious next questions are: Who is Floyd Tucker (the credited writer of Awake), has anyone heard his version of the song, and did he write/record anything else?

And yes, Brian's vocal on the demo is absolutely wonderful. One comment: to me, the vocal doesn't sound like Brian until the falsetto kicks in. Has anyone else thought this?
It's him he is singing in the same style he sings Spring Is Here on the Spring promo tape.

I forgot but I actually did the remix. I couldn't get it to not sound a bit hollow but it is speed corrected.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:18:53 AM by MBE » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx