gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:00:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue release?  (Read 13761 times)
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »

...dennis recorded in such a fashion that no-one seemed clear as to who held the rights for the material as regards a reissue. BRI said they did... Sony said they did... I think Dennis' estate put in a claim... and I'm pretty sure that JWG thought he held the rights as former boss of Caribou. Now you can see why it took literally years to sort out (with some impressive horse trading thrown in for good measure).

I actually find it amusing that the chaos surrounding Dennis lives on 24 years after his death!

Glenn
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »

They were "looking" into it a long time ago...things are in an entirely different phase now. There is an expectation and a deadline. However, as we've both stated...nothing is absolute until the retail version is in our hands. But regarding the POB/Bamboo reissue saga, this is the closest we've ever been by far...and I'm encouraged. And yet there is still some of the hill to climb, no doubt.

Sounds good to me.  I've got my fingers crossed!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »

...dennis recorded in such a fashion that no-one seemed clear as to who held the rights for the material as regards a reissue. BRI said they did... Sony said they did... I think Dennis' estate put in a claim... and I'm pretty sure that JWG thought he held the rights as former boss of Caribou. Now you can see why it took literally years to sort out (with some impressive horse trading thrown in for good measure).

I actually find it amusing that the chaos surrounding Dennis lives on 24 years after his death!

So would Dennis, I'd think!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but Legacy has NO current plans to release POB in '08.  This is per a source at Legacy/Sony/BMG. It's only a project that is being "researched on the A+R front."  That's it.  The May 5, 2008 date is pure wishful thinking.  Perhaps another label is going to release it, but I doubt it, if Legacy is still looking into it.

In my opinion, POB will be re-issued, eventually, on some label, but it's going to be awhile.

Is that one slice of humble pie or two, sir ?  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »

never mind
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:36:19 AM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but Legacy has NO current plans to release POB in '08.  This is per a source at Legacy/Sony/BMG. It's only a project that is being "researched on the A+R front."  That's it.  The May 5, 2008 date is pure wishful thinking.  Perhaps another label is going to release it, but I doubt it, if Legacy is still looking into it.

In my opinion, POB will be re-issued, eventually, on some label, but it's going to be awhile.

Is that one slice of humble pie or two, sir ?  Roll Eyes

Three to start, please; I've got a big appetite.

What can I say?  I just passed on the info I was given by someone who works in the PR dept. of the label.  Perhaps I read too much into what little I was told, and my statement was too emphatic in its pessimism.  But, hey, when I'm wrong, I'll admit it, as I am here.

In my defense, I will say that I was right that the May 5, 2008 release date was false.  (yes, that's a VERY minor point considering the "official" release date is now May 13, 2008.)  And I did temper my position in a later post in reply to Jon Stebbins. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4832.msg79297.html#msg79297

Also, for what it's worth, I believe I was the 1st one to post the full press release from the label, which, by the way, I got from the same person who told me that POB was just being "researched on the A+R front."

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5001.msg80894.html#msg80894

On this one, I'm happy to be wrong b/c it means that we're all going to get POB/Bambu sooner, rather than later!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »

Amen to that. Can't wait!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:04 PM »

Looking at the likely May date, I'm gobsmacked - great BBs product is only ever released when I'm about as far away from civilisation as I can get. BWpSMiLE (and GIOMH come to that) came out when I was half-way across California in a tent; this time I'll be half-way across Scotland. also in a tent.

I keep telling you, you guys should PAY me to go away. How about I make plans for the Sierra High Route, and you start speculating on a SMiLE 66/67 box?

PM me for details of where to send the cheques!!!!

“We live in divisive times.”
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »

Looking at the likely May date, I'm gobsmacked - great BBs product is only ever released when I'm about as far away from civilisation as I can get. BWpSMiLE (and GIOMH come to that) came out when I was half-way across California in a tent; this time I'll be half-way across Scotland. also in a tent.

I keep telling you, you guys should PAY me to go away. How about I make plans for the Sierra High Route, and you start speculating on a SMiLE 66/67 box?

PM me for details of where to send the cheques!!!!

Dear Wee Helper - I have a ticket for a 12 month stay in Antarctica just waiting for you!

Okay guys - It looks like we have found a way to get that SMiLE Box Set we have always craved!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:27:56 PM by TonyW » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »

I think the Green Bay Packers franchise is run by the fans. I wish their was someway the fans could own the Beach Boys music through stock! Then we could release whatever we wanted.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »

I think the Green Bay Packers franchise is run by the fans. I wish their was someway the fans could own the Beach Boys music through stock! Then we could release whatever we wanted.

As if there's any less of a fractured, dysfunctional relationship within the fan community than the band... In 15 years, instead of everyone wondering why Carl sided with Mike on whatever, it would be a matter of why AGD sided with Surfer Girl. And everyone would still bitch, just like they do now.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »

As if there's any less of a fractured, dysfunctional relationship within the fan community than the band... In 15 years, instead of everyone wondering why Carl sided with Mike on whatever, it would be a matter of why AGD sided with Surfer Girl. And everyone would still bitch, just like they do now.

Yeah...it's called "human nature", and it's unavoidable.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx