gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:58:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue release?  (Read 13760 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 02:31:45 PM »

So, providing this album does get released as described, the odds of it containing such songs as 4th of July, WIBNTLA, Love Surrounds Me, Baby Blue, basically anything containing Beach Boys vocals... are quite poor.

Speaking hypothetically, as "4th" & "(WIBNT)LA" are BB recordings, no way will they be part of the package, any more than "Cuddle Up" or "Make It Good" would be (and besides, they are nothing to do with POB - this isn't a DW box but a reissue of a specific album). As for the other two titles you mentioned, it's entirely possible that the original recordings could be part of the package, as they were part of Dennis' solo sessions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic.

That, coming from the guy who's addicted to only the hardest, purest evidence, makes me pretty wildly confident!  Who's done and/or helped with the liner notes/tracklisting?
 Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »

Not making any claims to know anything, just cautiously optimistic. Call it a hunch, a gut feeling.

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:09 PM »

I just listened to POB again today.  I liked it much more this time than I did the first time I heard it.

It's not the most commercial sounding album in the world, but it's definitely a cool, creative, adventurous, interesting album, with a lot of effort and energy in it.

In my humble opinion, with the exception of BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMiLE, it's cooler, hipper, and more creative than any of Brian's solo stuff.

Glenn
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »

It's been announced as a double CD. Assuming it happens, and that they haven't put each side of the original vinyl release of one CD, I'd say outtakes are very likely, wouldn't you think ?

I know what you're saying Andrew and I know that IF this does come out as promised then there will be outtakes etc. All I was trying to say in my post was that even IF (note that word if) that idea was scrapped and just the album came out then I wouldn't be complaining because atleast the album would finally be released!! I already own the album on vinyl (which I absolutely love) but I would like a CD copy too.
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »

It DID come out on CD as remastered for a short time. I have the CD as released by Caribou Records. I bought mine in 1989 in a record store in the Poconos on my honeymoon.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

It DID come out on CD as remastered for a short time. I have the CD as released by Caribou Records. I bought mine in 1989 in a record store in the Poconos on my honeymoon.

Yeah I know it's been released on CD but not for a long time!!

I so hope this happens!! I am feeling more optimistic at the moment, more in hope than anything though.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 03:39:47 PM »

I know this has been answered before by our experts, but as far as outakes go of POB or Bamboo.  Does Jimmy Guercio have rights to those too or do the Beach Boys have the rights to those??
byronrosen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

It's weird that jon stebbins or AGD didn't show up here or in the Shut Down board to kill the rumours. I think the ball IS rolling, but as many things Beach Boys, this release date is "tentative".

maybe they're not involved if it is happening.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »

I believe Jon did chime in already.  His post was 'coyly positive'

(It's weird that jon stebbins or AGD didn't show up here or in the Shut Down board to kill the rumours. I think the ball IS rolling, but as many things Beach Boys, this release date is "tentative".

THIS is an intelligent post.
)

Sounds to me that it IS happening but my guess is that Jon is waiting until everything is offical and finalized.

I hope, if it happens, it coinsides with the rerelease of Jon's book on Denny.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 12:22:56 AM »

I know this has been answered before by our experts, but as far as outakes go of POB or Bamboo.  Does Jimmy Guercio have rights to those too or do the Beach Boys have the rights to those??

The rights issue was settled some years ago - they currently reside with JWG.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 06:41:28 PM »

Thanks for your help AGD!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 08:25:44 AM »

I'm wondering what the odds are that the album will be remixed. I know there are fans who feel the original Stephen Moffitt mix was poorly done and I can see their point.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 08:42:49 AM »

I'm wondering what the odds are that the album will be remixed. I know there are fans who feel the original Stephen Moffitt mix was poorly done and I can see their point.

A couple of tracks from that original mix may sound a bit muddy ("Moonshine", "Rainbows", maybe "River Song"), but some of the tracks are just fine IMO...like "Dreamer", "Time", and "You And I".  I suspect a decent remaster would help loads. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »

I'm wondering what the odds are that the album will be remixed.

Odds are too big to call. It's 100% certain that the album will be remixed.

[edit]: Duh ! Ifn I had a brain, i'd be dangerous. What I should have said was that any bonus tracks would be remixed (or likely mixed for the first time). Mea culpa. Whatever that means.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:23:33 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 02:13:05 PM »

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but Legacy has NO current plans to release POB in '08.  This is per a source at Legacy/Sony/BMG. It's only a project that is being "researched on the A+R front."  That's it.  The May 5, 2008 date is pure wishful thinking.  Perhaps another label is going to release it, but I doubt it, if Legacy is still looking into it.

In my opinion, POB will be re-issued, eventually, on some label, but it's going to be awhile.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:48 PM »

Interesting.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:06 PM »

My understanding is that balls have been rolling for some time, but how far and how fast 'til it reaches the bottom of the hill, and how many places to get caught in between?  That I don't know.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but Legacy has NO current plans to release POB in '08.  This is per a source at Legacy/Sony/BMG. It's only a project that is being "researched on the A+R front."  That's it.  The May 5, 2008 date is pure wishful thinking.  Perhaps another label is going to release it, but I doubt it, if Legacy is still looking into it.

In my opinion, POB will be re-issued, eventually, on some label, but it's going to be awhile.

No bubble bursting here. I never believe a release date unless its announced by the label and then its still tentative until its in my hands. But...if your source is saying this is not happening at all...then Your source is either out of the loop or or purposely giving you bad info. I can verify the ball is rolling nicely and if anything the business suits are "trying" to make the ball roll faster. Of course its all speculation regarding release date and even label affiliation...I would think nothing is absolutely set in stone. However, there is no doubt that the actual work of creating a releasable product is well underway...and the bubble has not burst. If it does I'll know immediately...and as of now I don't see that happening.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2007, 12:25:23 PM »

I wonder what the hell they're waiting for... The sooner the better.

I mean, CD sales are lower every year, the average hardcore BB fanatic isn't getting any younger and the release of BWPS or the BB rooftop reunion, both of which got the BB quite some publicity, would've been perfect occasions to release anything BB related. Anyone with a brain can see that a few years ago would've been better than now and that now will be better than next year or the year after that.
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »

No bubble bursting here. I never believe a release date unless its announced by the label and then its still tentative until its in my hands. But...if your source is saying this is not happening at all...then Your source is either out of the loop or or purposely giving you bad info. I can verify the ball is rolling nicely and if anything the business suits are "trying" to make the ball roll faster. Of course its all speculation regarding release date and even label affiliation...I would think nothing is absolutely set in stone. However, there is no doubt that the actual work of creating a releasable product is well underway...and the bubble has not burst. If it does I'll know immediately...and as of now I don't see that happening.

I think my previous message was pretty clear.  Legacy has not set release date, the 5/5/08 release date is false, and Legacy is looking into releasing it.  That's it.  I did not, and do not, make any other claims.  Whether "wheels are in motion" on other fronts is beyong my knowledge; I made no statements in those regards.

As for bursting bubbles, the "bubble" I was referring to was the 5/5/08 release date and the claim that Legacy would be releasing POB.  It was that "announcement" on another message board that seems to have raised the fever level surrounding the release of POB and which began this thread.

How does any of this contradict in any substantial regard what you wrote?  You stated yourself that, "nothing is absolutely set in stone."

In the end, I'll only believe that the re-issue of POB is a fact when I have a copy in my hands.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »

Anyone with a brain can see that a few years ago would've been better than now and that now will be better than next year or the year after that.

Anyone with a brain would be aware that a few years ago, the rights hadn't been sorted out, thus making any reissues impossible.  Cool

Heed Jon's words. And be patient.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »

DJ M...I don't want to make you feel defensive by any means. I just want to share the truth with DW's fans as best I can without saying more than I'm allowed at this point. You stated the following three things which I can address with full knowledge. 1)"Legacy has not set release date" -This is true, it would be impossible as the product has not yet been finalized and delivered. I can say that part of the process is entering the home stretch. 2) "the 5/5/08 release date is false" - It would have to be either a projection or false as of today because the product has not been completed and delivered. 3)"Legacy is looking into releasing it" - They were "looking" into it a long time ago...things are in an entirely different phase now. There is an expectation and a deadline. However, as we've both stated...nothing is absolute until the retail version is in our hands. But regarding the POB/Bamboo reissue saga, this is the closest we've ever been by far...and I'm encouraged. And yet there is still some of the hill to climb, no doubt.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »

It is being remastered?  Has it been remastered?  Or is that confidential info?  I'm also curious as to what would have held up the rights, the label or some other parties involved. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2007, 03:36:12 PM »

It is being remastered?  Has it been remastered?  Or is that confidential info?  I'm also curious as to what would have held up the rights, the label or some other parties involved. 

Jon can give you the chapter & verse on this but, essentially, dennis recorded in such a fashion that no-one seemed clear as to who held the rights for the material as regards a reissue. BRI said they did... Sony said they did... I think Dennis' estate put in a claim... and I'm pretty sure that JWG thought he held the rights as former boss of Caribou. Now you can see why it took literally years to sort out (with some impressive horse trading thrown in for good measure).

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx