gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:11:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue release?  (Read 13758 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »

What's the deal with this rumour going around about a 5th of may release of POB? I'm assuming it's rubbish. I know I wont believe it until it is physically in my hands. But does anyone know if this rumour has ANY truth to it at all?
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:56 AM »

I for one hope it's true!

And if it is, I guess we'll hear more about it in a month or two.

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not keeping my hopes TOO high.

This is where the rumors started I believe:
 http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=131131&page=4

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »

It's weird that jon stebbins or AGD didn't show up here or in the Shut Down board to kill the rumours. I think the ball IS rolling, but as many things Beach Boys, this release date is "tentative".

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »

I hope so. I would love to own a copy of POB (legally, that is).  Evil
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »

It's weird that jon stebbins or AGD didn't show up here or in the Shut Down board to kill the rumours. I think the ball IS rolling, but as many things Beach Boys, this release date is "tentative".

THIS is an intelligent post.
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, May 5, 2008 falls on a Monday.  In the US, new albums are released on Tuesdays.  So, unless the 5/5/08 release date is for the UK (where new albums come out on Mondays) this date is bogus.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »

If this happens, is it going to be cd only? Or can we get our hands on a vinyl copy as well?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:48:54 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, May 5, 2008 falls on a Monday.  In the US, new albums are released on Tuesdays.  So, unless the 5/5/08 release date is for the UK (where new albums come out on Mondays) this date is bogus.

I hope not. Why does all the good stuff only get released in the UK? Razz

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MBE
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »

Yes please do a vinyl with bonus cuts!!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:53 PM »

I think it would be cool to do a  three cd set. Disc one would be "POB", disc two would be "Bamboo"(or a version as complete as possible, ala "Smile"), and disc three would be a mix of POB/Bamboo outtakes.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »

let's have a "what is complete/incomplete" discussion on Bamboo, much like others like to do with smile (67)...if i'm not mistaken, i'd say more than half the album was done...i'd love if they released that newer version of San Miguel from those sessions

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:15:47 AM »

The ball has been rolling for quite a few years... and I concur with Jon - when was the last time any BB product was released as announced ? Though hopefully it won't be another 37 years.

Seriously, when is, to a degree, unimportant: what matters is that it comes out and that the package is worthy of the music. I'm inclined to think JWG will see Dennis right on both counts. Of course, sooner would be better.  Smiley

As for killing rumors - not my style. I'm a nuts and bolts, facts man.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:13:45 AM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not keeping my hopes TOO high.

This is where the rumors started I believe:
 http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=131131&page=4

Thanks for that link. That sort of makes me doubt it more so now. I had just read the rumours on the Shut Down board and the Blue Bamboo board. But now that I have seen where the rumours started and have read through the posts I am not as optimistic anymore (wasn't that optimistic to begin with). I mean these people saying "it will be released on 5th of may, blah blah blah", I mean who are they? I mean I could just start spreading rumours too, "gee guess what everyone a SMiLE box set is to be released containing every second of the SMiLE sessions and Brian Wilson himself has told me"... Besides even when people who do have some credibility (and please correct me if any of these people on that Hoffman board do) say things like "SMiLE is coming out soon", it can never been taken as a 100% guarantee.

Maby these people do know some "insiders" (boy do I hope so) but I highly doubt it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:22:20 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 08:32:55 AM »

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Well atleast there is a promised date so that we can know exactly when to expect it if it does come out. And of course IF this rumour is true and the date is correct then surely it will be announced officially well beforehand to that date that Pacific Ocean Blue will be coming out.

I know people are saying "I want outtakes and Bamboo tracks etc.." and obviously we all want that (unless you hate POB and Denny's work). But to be honest I would still be happy with just Pacific Ocean Blue. I mean atleast then it would be out there for more people to enjoy (who have heard about it and have never actually heard it) and more people to discover a true masterpiece.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:37:23 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 08:55:13 AM »

It's been announced as a double CD. Assuming it happens, and that they haven't put each side of the original vinyl release of one CD, I'd say outtakes are very likely, wouldn't you think ?

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »

And should it be released as part of the 'Legacy Edition' (as is rumoured) series, who knows maybe even an additional DVD'll be included.

We'll see what happens.......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »

That'd be the greatest thing since, well, ever .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:00:05 AM »

Any thoughts on the difficulties of releasing songs recorded by "The Beach Boys" on a Dennis Wilson album?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »

Is there any other band in the world that has as much good unrealesed material as the Beach Boys? Not only that, but alot of the stuff that they decide to release is a bunch of garbage! 15 Big Ones, MIU, etc...

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »

Any thoughts on the difficulties of releasing songs recorded by "The Beach Boys" on a Dennis Wilson album?

Insuperable.

king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »

So, providing this album does get released as described, the odds of it containing such songs as 4th of July, WIBNTLA, Love Surrounds Me, Baby Blue, basically anything containing Beach Boys vocals... are quite poor.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »

A double CD?  Great news! Got to have bonus tracks of some kind.

Let's just wait and see what is being released before we pick it apart.

My hope is that any 'Bamboo' material and other outakes get a 'proper' mix.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »

Would that require some sort of a Brother Records officer vote to do any tracks besides POB?  That could get a little dicey maybe with Al being the swing vote??
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx