gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:33:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Surf City" hand-written lyrics  (Read 7449 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:37:10 AM »

I heard that Brian's hand-written lyrics to "Surf City"were on Jan & Dean's website but I can't find them. Can anyone direct me to a place where I can see them. Or if not could someone kindly upload them?
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 03:06:22 AM »

Can anyone direct me to a place where I can see them.

You can see a very small picture of them in this newsletter of the INTERNATIONAL SURFING MUSEUM:

http://www.surfingmuseum.org/newsletter/News_Spring_07.pdf
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

Can anyone direct me to a place where I can see them.

You can see a very small picture of them in this newsletter of the INTERNATIONAL SURFING MUSEUM:

http://www.surfingmuseum.org/newsletter/News_Spring_07.pdf

Thanks Christian. That's where I saw the hand-written lyrics but then read that there was a scan on Jan & Dean's website but couldn't find it. Thanks anyway Smiley
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

The J&D camp is rather polarised at the moment and therefore you have an Official Jan Berry web sight (run by Mark A. Moore) and an Official J&D sight (run by Dean Torrence)...

It's the latter one you need. I can't seem to give you a direct link to the lyrics but if you follow this, then you should be there or there abouts...

http://www.jananddean.com/

Enter
Biography
Chapters
Chapter 3 1963-1964

scroll past the David Marks business card and you should be there... Hopefully!!
MBE
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:47 PM »

Yeah I never could understand that Jan camp and Dean camp thing. They were both good.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

Thanks heaps mrski. It's cool to see that photo of Brian in the studio too. Never seen that one before.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »

You're welcome mikeyj. Would have answered sooner but I had trouble logging in! Sad

See if you like this picture also. Ever seen this one before?  :

http://www.jananddean-janberry.com/app/content.asp?contenttype=Sessionography
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »

Yeah I found that picture a little while back. That is another cool picture though cause I haven't really seen too many photos of Brian with Jan and/or Dean
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »

The Dean and Brian "in the studio" picture I first saw in the J&D Anthology double album booklet. Don't know for certain but I've always assumed, given the young looks and Dean's long hair, that it was in someway connected to the recording of the Dean Torrence/Laughing Gravy version of 'Vegetables'...?

It is strange Dean and Brian photos are not seen that often, especially as Dean (perhaps more so that Jan?) it appears was something of a good friend of Brian throughout the early/mid sixties. Dean is featured in the infamous Guy Webster photo taken at LA (was it?) airport. The one which is usually shown along with a caption running something like... "Brian telephoned ahead and asked Marilyn to get together all of his close friends and come to meet him at the airport. In little short of a couple of months, one by one these people would fade from Brian's life..."
MBE
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »

The shots come from 1971 when they redid Vegetables.  There are two others. One inclueded in the album of Brian alone and one of Brian, Dean, Marilyn and Diane recording. That one is the John Milward book.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »

The photo of Jan Berry and Brian Wilson is from a 1965 KFWB launch party... I believe for "The Girls on the Beach," but I could be wrong. Lesley Gore was also there, in other pictures.

There's a 1963 shot of Jan, Brian, Mike Love, Dean Torrence and Dave Marks that will be appearing full-page in my new book "Pop Surf Culture" on Santa Monica Press.

I was hoping that Jill Gibson or Marylin Wilson might have snapped a shot of Jan & Brian working together in the '60s, but thus far, nothing has turned up.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »

Which parts of Surf City did Brian write?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx