gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:18:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sydney Party! BRIAN WAS THERE!!!  (Read 5064 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2007, 02:34:35 PM »

I'll keep this brief as the day is getting away and in a few hours I'll be setting off to the city to go to The Lucky Old Sun show:

Fans get together was unbelievable - it all seems like a dream

How do i say this any other way but scream it from the roof  - BRIAN WAS THERE!!

I'll give a quick run down in point form:

* Brian and Jeff Foskett arrived at 4.30 and stayed for 45 minutes. Brian signed autographs, posed for photos and cracked jokes with people there. Tony Sykes sang You're Welcome and Brian joined in. Joy had a rich chocolate cake for Brian which he graciosuly declined as he is on a low sugar diet (Too Much Sugar and Too Much Cake!!). I was fortunate enough to get my vinyl SMiLE LP signed by Brian.

*Brian looked nervous as he arrived and stood looking at everybody in the room and then he spoted Laurence Lavery, "The Professor", who interviewed Brian for BBA back in '86 at the 25th Anniversary show - The Prof hasn't seen Brian since then but Brian pointed straight at him smiled and said hi - who says Brian's memory isn't good? Brian soon relaxed and settled down to meet the fans. Jeff Foskett made sure everything went smoothly around Brian until they departed, he also did his own autograph signings and chatted with fans.

* That was one hell of a way to start the day!

* Next up was Surf Music/Beach Boy historian and author Stephen McParland who did a Q&A touching on subjects as diverse as Landy, Gary Usher, The Rovell sisters, Murry Wilson and the "legendary" Australian Rarities LP which was withdrawn from sale within in days of release - we now have another reason why it was withdrawn and this one really does make sense!!

* While this was going on Probyn Gregory and Nelson Bragg arrived and mingled and chatted with people, very casual and very relaxed. They ended up staying for around two hours having dinner and chatting.

* Glenn Love, his son James and Tony Sykes lead a sing-a-long of some more obscure Beach Boy songs including Time To Get Alone and Hang On To Your Ego along with the standards - Tony Sykes made sure we all got the rounds correct on the vocal tag to God Only knows.

* Then we had a number of special greetings sent to us from various people in the Beach Boys world:
    # Alan Jardine sent his personalised greetings to the fans plus three 60 to 90 second sound bites from his new album including: Poatcard from California, his new version of Big Sur and Honking Down The Highway featuring Brian Wilson
    # David Marks sent his personal greetings, some photos and an update on what he is doing these days plus an update on his health.
    # Stephen Kalinich sent his own message in his own personal way - via poetry
    # Van Dyke Parks sent his own message and urged us all to further embrace and spread the word on Orange Crate Art

* A special power point presentations was put together and shown so that we remembered Carl and Dennis on the day.

* We then ran through a great list of well wishes sent by fans from around the word - a great sentiment and way to wind the day down.

I'm sure I have forgotten something - and I'm sure somebody will correct me - the day would not have happened the way it did without the wonderful work of Robyne Wilson and her partner Rick Dunstan - so a huge thank to Robyne and Rick.

The Domian show on Saturday night was a huge success for Brian with crowd estimates varying from 50 to 80 thousand - bottom line is that the park was full and people partied as Brian did a greatest hits show with the most obscure tracks being Add Some Music, Sail on Sailor and Marcella (not very obscure at all) and the show rounded out with fireworks to Good Vibrations at the end of the encore - No Love & Mercy. 90 minutes of wham bamm thank you mamm!!!

Tony

********************************************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************************************

Here is an update for the Fans Get Together and the Sydney Festival shows:

Posted 8am Sydney Time - Thursday 3rd January.

Sydney Party! Fans Get Together – Sunday January 6th:

When:
Sunday, January 6 - from 4pm to 10pm. Do not be any later than 6pm now 4pm.

89 George St (corner of Argyle St)
The Rocks – Sydney

URGENT UPDATE: Thursday 930am
Due to a change in plans by one of several special guests it is strongly advised that you be there no later than 4pm - if you miss this guest's appearance you may very well regret it. I repeat - please be there by 4pm.

We have organised a number of special guests and surprises.  It will be big and unlike anything Beach Boy or Brian Wilson related held is Australia for a very long time!!

It’s free to attend. There will be a bar (pay as you go) and meals will be available from the bistro and will be delivered to our function.  This is a great opportunity to meet fellow fans from Australia and around the world, learn a lot about the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson world and have a sing-a-long to your favourite BB/BW songs.

We do ask you email and advise if you will be attending as we have to keep and eye on numbers. Please email Tony Wales at: tonywales@optusnet.com.au
(FYI : I’m off to the cricket all day Friday so will respond to emails on Friday evening. Emails sent after 11am on Saturday will be responded to on Sunday morning as I will be in the city on Saturday afternoon and evening for the Domain show)

The Domain Show - Saturday January 5th:
If you want to join fellow BW/BB fans for the Domain Show on Saturday night please be aware of the following information:
Paul Kelly will be on stage from 8pm to 9pm – Brian will be on stage from 9.15pm to 10.45pm. Entry to the Domain is via Art Gallery Road (near St Mary’s Cathedral) - access is not possible from Hospital Road.

There will be a very big crowd – a number of fans will be arriving early and plan to be near the front of the stage just to the right of centre – just in front of where Jeff Foskett will be on the stage. Unfortunately we don’t know what “arriving early” actually means as this stage so we are going to play it by ear on Saturday – I will send out emails today (Thursday) with my mobile number to everybody who has contacted me so you can phone or SMS me on Saturday to find out details as they become available (if you want my mobile number please email me at the address above – I won’t post it on a public forum).

Don’t leave it too late to arrive at the Domain as we have reason to believe authorities will close off sections of the crowd around the stage as they reach capacity. Also remember that Alcohol is banned – do the slip, slop, slap thing, particularly if you are arriving early and plan to spend a good chunk of the day in the park. Weather forecast is a bit dodgy and there might be some rain so take some wet weather protection.

State Theatre Shows – Monday 7th, Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th:

There is a bar (The Statement) in the State Theatre but it will become very crowded pre show and difficult to find each other so anybody who wants to meet up and have a quite chat before the show should go to the St James Hotel, Street Level Bar, 114 Castlereagh St (near corner of Market Street) from 6pm onwards. The St James Hotel is on the site of the old St James movie theatre for those who can remember – and only about a 2 to 3 minute walk to the State Theatre. Map: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=114+Castlereagh+St,+Sydney,+NSW+2000,+Australia&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Well, it’s getting close folks and it’s going to be a busy few days – bring it on! I look forward to seeing everybody over the next week.

Oh yeah – and from me a massive thanks to Robyne Wilson for all the great work she has done in getting the “talent” organised for Sunday. Thanks Rob!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:13:54 PM by TonyW » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

bump

- disappearing off page 1
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »

this looks like fun...hope you guys have a blast!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

Have a great day. And don't forget to give us a review of the meeting. I'm quite curious...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »

bump
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:47:23 AM »

bump - again
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »

ooooohhhhh - sticky!

thanks
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:38:07 AM »

you're welcome

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »

TonyW so why was the Aussie Rarites withdrawn. It's a fine album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 02:17:33 AM »

we now have another reason why it was withdrawn and this one really does make sense!!

I hate it when people do that.

"Hey, I just heard something amazing!"
"Well, what is it?"
"Nah, I don't really feel like telling you..."
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »

Go on, tell us.
We won't breathe a word if it's a secret angel

Great party. You Aussies sure know how to do that.

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

Okay - sorry about the tease - so much else going on down here at the moment that it seems such a minor item:

Keep in mind that Stephen McParland was one of the co-compilers of the Australian Rarities Album.

Conjecture has been that the LP was withdrawn because the liner notes state that the Survivors were the Beach Boys under another name - in reality is was Brian, Bob Norberg and friends.

The explanation given by Stephen McParland was:

* There were only ever 500 copies of the Australian Rarities LP printed
* The problem was the two Dennis Wilson Rumbo Tracks which were origionally released on Stateside - not Capitol
* About a week after the albums release Stateside came in wanting a licensing fee for the two tracks or for the album to be withdrawn from sale.
* With a print run of only 500 units Capitol Australia basically couldn't be bothered and withdrew the album as demanded by Stateside.
* The story that the album was withdrawn because of the Survivors identity issue came about because Bob Norberg was none too happy and was shooting off letters left right and centre to various people involved in the project
* In the end Capitol Australia withdrew the balance of stock from the stores to avoid licensing fees and - as an aside, to appease the Bob Norberg/Survivors issue.

I am but the messenger - please do not shoot me if you disagree with the album's compiler's memories of why the album was withdrawn.

The licensing issue sure makes a lot more sense than erroneous liner notes.

MBE
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »

Thanks for the info. The 500  must have come out because I see it about twice a year for sale.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »

The 500  must have come out because I see it about twice a year for sale.

Maybe there are bootleg copies then?
MBE
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 02:55:22 AM »

Never heard of boots of this but who knows.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:12:34 AM »

Well, at least one copy made it to the UK - i bought mine in my local record store (sadly long since closed).

As for the reasons, in about 1984/5 I asked Stephen why it was withdrawn, and the only explanation he gave me was the liner notes issue - I clearly recall he told me he sent a sheaf of photocopies to Capitol showing that all previous accounts had the Survivors being the BB.

Stateside was a UK subsiduary of EMI, which owned Capitol - in the UK both Sunflower and Surf's Up were released on Stateside as were three UK BB singles 1970-71, thus they are all under the same EMI umbrella. Most odd.  Not disputing for a moment what Stephen says, he did compile the thing after all, just relating my experience of 22 years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 06:31:38 AM »

i bought one also when it came out. haven't looked at it in ages though......

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »

Stateside was a UK subsiduary of EMI, which owned Capitol.

At the time Stephen was talking about this I was getting my photo taken with Probyn and Nelson so I didn't catch all of that part of the dialogue but I clearly remember him mentioning this fact that you mention Andrew. So there must be something more to it unless I misheard what he said?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

Andrew & Mikey - yes Stephen did mention the Stateside/EMI/Capitol connections but it all related to the companies/divisions in Australia (and one would assume the internal politics) - when the album was being compiled Stephen and Glenn A Baker thought the Stateside/EMI/Capitol connection meant they had the rights to include the Rumbo works - but as they soon found out, not so.

I have worked a lot over the years with licensing and copyright and from my experiences when somebody like Stateside issue a "Cease, Desist and Deliver UP" the Cease and Desist are enforced and everybody is happy - with the Deliver Up (of all unsold stock) often a token gesture of some warehouse stock keeps everybody happy and the stock at retail is ignored so it his highly likely all 500 copies remaind in the marketplace and are still circulating on the collectors circuit.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »

Thanks, Tony - must get down to Oz some day soon.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »

It's a great album highlighted by a blistering version of What'd I Say from 1964 with Carl on lead. While it must be there rarest track a Chicago disc jocky must have had this album as I heard it on the radio twice about 15 and then 10 years ago.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 04:24:56 AM »

I vaguely recall a discussion about who sang What'd I Say - I think someone asked Brian and he said it was him - not sure though.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »

Photos from the day are now up on the net. Go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/jayheifetz/FanReceptionWithBrianWilsonAtTheOrientHotelSydney?authkey=Wp2luTYBy34

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »

Some more photos from the Sydney Get Together and Concerts have just been posted - please note that  the photos by Giselle Volmer are not to be used for publication.

Link: http://groups.msn.com/BrianWilsonGiselleVolmerSYDJan08

Some great eyecandy there for the Taylor Mills fans ...  Wink

Also some excellent Brian shots.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:14:07 PM by TonyW » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx