gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:57:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Gettin' in Over My Head
5 - 5 (5%)
4 - 11 (10.9%)
3 - 39 (38.6%)
2 - 32 (31.7%)
1 - 9 (8.9%)
0 - 5 (5%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gettin' in Over My Head  (Read 83626 times)
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 06:21:11 AM »

Just 'cos a record isn't commercially successful doesn't mean it's bad.  I mean who is Brian Wilson to most people anyway?  Just some bloke who used to be in 'The Beach Boys'.  "Oh great" they usually respond in a rather underwhelmed manner.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 10:19:53 AM »

GIOMH is the worst BB solo album bar none... and the record-buying public agreed. One week at #100.

Well, mostly it's taste of course and you got your opinion, someone else has his/her opinion.  But I don't think that the records sold so bad, because it's "trash". I think it's because people have no knowing who Brian Wilson is. And since the Beach Boys are not really "hip", they probably aren't very interested in hearing that guy...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:05:23 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »

[
quote author=Andrew G. Doe link=topic=48.msg13940#msg13940 date=1139231300]
Third, a group on internet tastemakers (and I include AGD in this) took it upon themselves to loudly trash this album at every opportunity. It became difficult for people who genuinely dug the album to say anything in its defense without being trashed as deaf, fanboys, or what have you. I don't know why they turned on Brian...

I don't consider myself a tastemaker, just a hard-worki- sorry, just a commentator, and what I said were my honest thoughts on the album, to wit, it sucks. And in this I'm not alone: some people intimately involved in the making of the album (no names, no pack drill) were bitterly disappointed with the finished product.

Yes, I have heard this as well.  I can't really blame anyone involved in its making for being bitter.

As for people having trouble liking it, you try saying it's terrible and see what happens. Especially the Bloo, where any nay-sayers were told in withering tones that they just didn't "get" it - this may require a substantial readjustment of some people's outlook, but Brian Wilson is capeable of releasing rubbish.

First of all, saying this record sucks on the Blueboard is akin to suicide, in my opinion. And secondly, opinion on this album from the fans isn't exactly unanimous, looking at the total votes. Compare the votes for this record and LBWL for example.

Question: Rate Gettin' in Over My Head
5  3 (13.6%)
4  2 (9.1%)
3  10 (45.5%)
2  5 (22.7%)
1  0 (0%)
0  2 (9.1%)

Total Votes: 22

Question: Rate Looking Back With Love (ML solo)
5  1 (5.9%)
4  0 (0%)
3  4 (23.5%)
2  1 (5.9%)
1  3 (17.6%)
0  8 (47.1%)

Total Votes: 17

What do the stats say? Well, 12 out of 17 thought LBWL sucks. Not unanimous, by any means, but a pretty strong consensus. GIOMH, what the tally says isn't so certain except for this: 2 out of 22 agree with AGD. After that, the opinion varies somewhat. Not exactly strong consensus. Now compare the votes for the '88 album.

Question: Poll :: Rate Brian Wilson
5  2 (10%)
4  12 (60%)
3  6 (30%)
2  0 (0%)
1  0 (0%)
0  0 (0%)

Total Votes: 20

Looking at that, I would venture to guess that opinion on the self-titled effort is more unified than it is on GIOMH. Everyone is welcome to their opinion and I'm certain that when AGD does review this disc for the next edition of his book, it will be imformative and entertaining (I can't wait for the punchlines that he'll probably come up with). But don't say that your opinion is the majority one, because it ain't.  Hell, I don't even like this record that much and I still find myself passionately defending it.

And he did. In my opinion, GIOMH is the worst BB solo album bar none... and the record-buying public agreed. One week at #100.

The fact that it was pawned off on Rhino who gave it zero promotion had nothing to do with it?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2006, 02:25:07 AM »

The fact that it was pawned off on Rhino who gave it zero promotion had nothing to do with it?

Warner's got it as part of the BWPS package - you want Smile, you gotta take this as well. The original release date for GIOMH was December 2003/January 2004 so Brian could tour it in tandem with Smile. Why was it pushed back ? Simple - at least two companies it was offered to passed, possibly because they were asked to bid on it sight unseen (or sound unheard... whatever). I'm very reliably told that there's more than one LA record company who, on hearing it for the first time, said something to the effect of "thank f*** we passed on that".

As for promotion, well, does the phrase "why throw good money after bad" mean anything ?  Grin  Truly, there isn't enough money in the business to service that puppy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2006, 02:51:41 AM »

Warner's got it as part of the BWPS package - you want Smile, you gotta take this as well. The original release date for GIOMH was December 2003/January 2004 so Brian could tour it in tandem with Smile. Why was it pushed back ? Simple - at least two companies it was offered to passed, possibly because they were asked to bid on it sight unseen (or sound unheard... whatever). I'm very reliably told that there's more than one LA record company who, on hearing it for the first time, said something to the effect of "thank f*** we passed on that".

As for promotion, well, does the phrase "why throw good money after bad" mean anything ?  Grin  Truly, there isn't enough money in the business to service that puppy.

And how, pray tell, did 'Looking Back With Love' fare in the charts?  I wonder also how come that great effort is long deleted.

If Mike came up with an album as good as GIOMH (a stretch to imagine it, I know, but bear with me) - I don't think there'd be enough praise in the world for some people to lavish on it.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2006, 03:50:14 AM »

If Mike came up with an album as good as GIOMH (a stretch to imagine it, I know, but bear with me) - I don't think there'd be enough praise in the world for some people to lavish on it.

But... he did.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2006, 04:23:37 AM »

But... he did.  Grin

Well, since I've never heard LBWL I'm not really in a position to properly disagree.  But I find it very hard to believe that Mike Love could come up with an album a tenth as good as GIOMH!

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2006, 08:51:47 AM »

But... he did.  Grin

Well, since I've never heard LBWL I'm not really in a position to properly disagree.  But I find it very hard to believe that Mike Love could come up with an album a tenth as good as GIOMH!

I have heard LBWL and the way that AGD feels about GIOMH? His feelings times 1000 is how I feel about LBWL.

Unless you have a real masochistic streak, no sane person needs to hear LBWL.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2006, 08:56:40 AM »

But... he did.  Grin

I have heard LBWL and the way that AGD feels about GIOMH? His feelings times 1000 is how I feel about LBWL.

Unless you have a real masochistic streak, no sane person needs to hear LBWL.

Well, I need to hear it to properly say I hate it!  But as a great man once sang "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows!"

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2006, 08:58:22 AM »

Warner's got it as part of the BWPS package - you want Smile, you gotta take this as well.

That's what I mean. Warner got something they didn't want as a condition of getting something they want, so they pass  what they think is the  P.O.S. off on their oldies/reissue album label who, just basically put the CD out in the stores and nothing else.

T
he original release date for GIOMH was December 2003/January 2004 so Brian could tour it in tandem with Smile. Why was it pushed back ? Simple - at least two companies it was offered to passed, possibly because they were asked to bid on it sight unseen (or sound unheard... whatever). I'm very reliably told that there's more than one LA record company who, on hearing it for the first time, said something to the effect of "thank f*** we passed on that".

Interesting.  Didn't know that other labels had passed on it.

It's a moot point at this stage, but the fact that it charted when Warners just half-assedly released ithas to say something.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2006, 09:26:01 AM »

I gave GIOMH a rating of three stars.  It's my least favorite of his three
studio solo albums.  (SMiLE and Christmas not counting.)  "Gettin' In Over
My Head," "Saturday Morning in the City," and "Don't Let Her Know She's
An Angel" are just great, to me.  I thought "City Blues" was rockin' and
"Desert Drive," while not very original, is a fun tune.  I was very
disappointed in "A Friend Like You."  And I really enjoy "You've Touched
Me."  The intro is amazingly out of tune, but the rest is great.  I love
those (are they violins?) in there.  So yes, there are plenty of rough spots
on the album, but plenty of great moments as well.  Much more then
any Beach Boys album made after "Love You."
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »

I had to give it 3. I like it more now than when it fisrt showed up. It was hard to appreciate it then when the amazing live tapes of SMiLE in London were going around. This album will always be in the shadow of BWPS.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 03:15:28 PM by L Ransford » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2006, 04:07:22 AM »

this isn't really an album...it is a collection of songs which, for the most part, are decent...and a few are outstanding.

It doesn't work as an album...think of it as a compilation of hitherto unreleased Brian Wilson compositions that were intended for projected solo or Beach Boys projects but somehow were never finished/released before.

And as a previous poster said, it was good training for SMiLE...got Brian working the studio again.

As AGD has oft said, I doubt Brian himself is overly happy with the way his vocals sound...be thankful he recorded this before SMiLE so he coud hear where he needed to improve.

But you can give me Fairytale, SMITC, Desert Drive and a few others anytime.

3 stars.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2006, 02:45:29 AM »

After many dormant months, I tried spinning this CD again recently to see if it would grow on me at all.  I've always liked Soul Searchin, Desert Drive and The Waltz but not much else, and I was hoping that at least a few others would catch my ear this time around.  And a few did, kinda...I enjoy the title track more now than I originally did, and How Can We Still Be Dancin is a pretty cool tune (except Brian's vocals in the chorus are a bit annoying).  As for the other songs I could take them or leave them.  I like the vocal intro of You've Touched Me but not the rest, A Friend Like You is really bland, and the others were better in previous incarnations. 

All in all, not a great album by any stretch (relatively speaking...Brian has pretty high standards that probably make it seem worse than it really is).  I prefer BW '88 and Imagination to this easily.  I just don't think Brian really gave a damn while recording this, and it shows.  Good thing he had Smile ready to go shortly after this was released!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2006, 07:45:00 AM »

The first half of this album is good. The second half is pretty bad. The production doesn't sound like the already-then-outdated 80s muzak sh*t of Imagination, but on the other hand, the vocals sound like sh*t. Win some, lose some.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2006, 07:52:10 AM »

I just don't think Brian really gave a damn while recording this, and it shows. 

I think Brian really DID give a damn while recording GIOMH, and that's what's disturbing to me. I don't enjoy this album.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2006, 07:40:15 AM »

I've been listening to this album almost every week for a while now, and I have to say, it's not as bad as when I first heard it.

AGD: please avoid reading this, unless you want to hear good things about this album  Grin

Granted, while some of the songs are here are better on "Sweet Insanity" i.e "Make A Wish", for one it's a rockin' album (at least the first half). I love the opening track w/Elton John. Great way to start off the album. Carl's vocal on "Soul Searchin'" is great, always loved it. I love "You've Touched Me", especially the choice of the instruments with the strings, horn section, and bass harmonica. It's a nice ballad-esque tune, one of my favorites on the track. The title track is good, I think I like it better than the original, but it's nothing special imo. City Blues is a good rocker, but Brian's layered "oooo's" doesn't quite do it for me, one of my gripes on the song. The backing track is catchy, especially with Clapton's guitar. I've always enjoyed "Desert Drive", an obvious Beach Boys homage. I love it with the marimba/vibraphone/bells (whichever is on the track). Some nice vocals from the band on this one. "A Friend Like You".......I've never really liked this song. You think we would have gotten something better from two geniouses (sp?). It's alright, but not a strong point on the album, which you think it would be with Paul and Brian on the same record. I think it's the lyrics that I don't like, at least for two grown men to sing to each other, hah. I've always liked "Make A Wish", but it doesn't have that same groove as the original does. I love the new opener for some reason, I think it's the bass line that catches my ear. The original had so much more going on in the track, with that sort of regaee feel going on in the backing track. But nevertheless I still like this version. I like this version of "Rainbow Eyes" better only because Brian's voice sounds better on it then on SI. "Saturday Morning In The City", I've always enjoyed the percussion intro, a nice catchy tune from Bri. "Fairy Tale" is alright, but nothing spectacular. I do like "Dont Let Her Know She's an Angel", almost sounds like a track for "IMAGINATION". "The Waltz", I love the backing track and Brian's vocals on this are great, and fun. Good way to end the album.

I give this a 4/5
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:25:33 PM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2006, 12:23:58 AM »

i have to say that when this album came out it kind of scared me with all the hype about elton, macca, & clapton. i was afraid brian wilson had turned into ringo starr with a album full of filler tracks for the guest stars to do THEIR thing on. to my surprise it was not like this at all (save for the total let down that 'a friend like you' turned out to be, but more on that later).

how could we still be dancin' - wonderful opening vocal blend by brian. really great chords. elton sings in a voice i haven't heard since 'tumble weed connection' back in the early 70's. really strong opening track.

soul searchin'- carl wilson... it was good before i heard it.  i first heard about carl adding his vocal to this track back in the mid 90's & i knew i needed to get my hands (or rather my ears) on it. unfortunatly that never happened until i bought this album. i gotta say that the first momment i heard it i really got emotional. great track. i love the bridge by brian. i could have done without the sax solo though.

you've touched me - really bad title imo, but a great track. has a today! & summer days feel to it.

gettin in over my head - my favorite track on the album. great chords, great bridge, awesome backing vox. it has everything that a brian song should have. i haven't heard the 80's version so i can't compare the two, but i really can't imagine it being any better.

city blues - nothing special, but kind of fun. is it just me or is clapton a 'special guest' whore? and usually his results are not that great. (ok ok, i don't mean 'while my guitar gently weeps' or anything off 'all things must pass', but i think you know what i mean)

desert drive - this cut makes you wish brian let his band sing more on the album. brian sounds good doing all the vocals, but the blend these guys create together is just so much better. really fun track. (side note: the bridge "come on", sounds exactlly the same as the song 'dance with me tonight' on the 'that thing you do!' soundtrack. anyone else think so?)

a friend like you - damn it! i thought they were gonna give us lovely rita meets caroline no..... what happened? all i can say is that this IS interesting. i'd rather have it than nothing at all. sadly i think paul is the one that ruined this track. i feel like he just showed up to hang out with brian and his vocals took a back seat to him and brian hanging out and being pals. oh well. nice try i guess.....

make a wish - first off, great bass sound. as for the track its nice, though i think its a case of a not so great song sounding a lot better than it actually is due to a strong studio performance. the bridge is kind of a drag, sounds like a revolutionary march. over all not completely a waste of a track, but i tend to skip it most the time.

rainbow eyes - i first heard this on the caroline now! disc and really loved it. this version is pretty good, but not nearly as good as the caroline now! one. great song none the less. don't hate me for saying this, but i can really hear mike love singing the verses on this spot on. kind of in the same style he did "all i want to do" from sunflower. (he never sounded better, and i mean that) nice track though.

saturday morning in the city - i wish brian would have let paul have a go at this one, and just left 'a friend like you' off the album completely. i think paul could have handled the bridge pretty well, and it would have just been a nice treat, cause imo i think brian's voice sounds the best on this track. a pretty good song.

fairy tale - nice backing vocals. not a great song, but ok none the less. prob my least favorite on the album (besides "a friend like you")

don't let her know she's an angel - i like all the instruments on this one. i'm not sure i like brian's vocals very much. the melody is wonderful, so i can kind of have a hard time saying his vocals are not so great, but i really think he could have done a better job which would have made this song amazing. not that its not amazing now, but if he would have recorded this in 65, well we would be writing books about it. you know its true.

the waltz - awesome. a really weird song imo, but that only makes it better. its like a 50's doo-wop song with a creepy 1800's violin section that gives me images of the ghosts from the haunted house ride waltzing in that ballroom. van dyke is the man.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »

desert drive - this cut makes you wish brian let his band sing more on the album. brian sounds good doing all the vocals, but the blend these guys create together is just so much better. really fun track. (side note: the bridge "come on", sounds exactlly the same as the song 'dance with me tonight' on the 'that thing you do!' soundtrack. anyone else think so?)

That was the first thing I thought when I heard that too! 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »

Gee wiz, does everything Brian releases have to be Pet Sounds or Smile? I rate it a 3. Might have been better to drop a few of the weaker songs (A Friend Like You, You've Touched Me, Make a Wish), I've got the vinyl and it's a double album. I could make a solid single album out of it. The Elton track does nothing for me, never been a fan of EJ, and Brian sounds horrible on the "hey everybody" part. Soul Searchin' has a nice groove, although the middle part where Brian takes over is kind of jarring. I liked it better with Carl on lead all the way through, but I suppose they couldn't have this track on a Brian solo album if he doesn't sing some lead on it. Desert Drive is fun, I enjoy City Blues (yes, even Clapton's guitar), the track with VDP, Fairy Tale, but there's little here that ranks with Brian's best, but that's okay. Brian doesn't have to make a great album every time out. He doesn't have to sing as good as he did in 1966 (or 1988, for that matter). All he has to do is be the best Brian he can be, because he's good enough, he's smart enough, and doggone it, people like him!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2007, 02:44:36 AM »

Probably the weakest album that Brian ever had anything to do with. I like You've Touched Me, the title track's intro is brilliant and it's great to hear my two biggest musical heroes, Brian and Macca, sing together (even if it's such a weak song) but apart from that, there's not much on this one that I like.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 02:46:27 AM by shelter » Logged
MBE
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2007, 05:33:36 AM »

I don't think this is horrible. Brian's not too off key here but is not singing as well as he did on the Paley demos. The title track suffers in comparison but it's still a great song. The vocals aren't as bad as many of the Landy era ones though, and the natural production is so much better then the sound of his solo work before. 88 is a much better album and so are his two subsequent ones, but this is the first LP since Spring to sound like a classic Brian production. A lot of the song are weak, I never much liked anything from the SI era and only the production is better here. Yet along with the fine title track there are a few other gems. I always have loved City Blues since I heard the 81 demo and I think it sounds great here. Desert Drive is done full justice and is a lot of fun, and Soul Searchin may suffer from not having the other Beach Boys on it like the original did but it's still great to hear Carl in the nineties singing a top notch Brian Wilson song. Saturday Morning in The City is cute but I do think every song I didn't mention is filler and pretty bland filler. It's not a painful record to hear though and at it's worst it's just dull. That Van Dyke track is sadly a lot more like OCA then Smile and maybe the only one here that I think is really poor especially the lyrics. "The pill for" line is so dumb. So where do I rank this, well like I said before below 88, Smile, and the Xmas LP, but a lot better then his nineties albums.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:39:51 AM by MBE » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »

I still think this album is pretty good. I think it's definitely stronger than Imagination. The production on that album alone prevents me from listening to more than two songs. The production on GIOMH is great as well. It's flirting with Pet Sounds/Today but it works. It sounds very natural. Lots of air in the instruments and room.
      I still feel as I did when I first bought the album, and songs like City Blues, Make A Wish, Rainbow Eyes, Saturday Morning, and Fairy Tale bring the album down.
They are cheesy in a bad way..not the Love You cheese most of us love. The vocals are pretty good too. Even if they are auto-tuned, I actually enjoy hearing Brian sing his own backgrounds. To each his own.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »

I think its kind of saccharine production... Some of the songs are OK but with that kind of slumber inducing production, who pays attention to the song writing?

2 stars...  Embarrassed
MBE
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2007, 12:26:07 AM »

The production is very good, real instruments etc.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx