gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:25:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP song on "Walk Hard" soundtrack  (Read 5726 times)
CeylonSailor
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »

Just downloaded the soundtrack for the upcoming John C. Reilly film "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" which opens later this month in the US.  It's a mock biopic about a Johnny Cash type musician as he progresses through the times. 

Of course he enters the late 60's and goes through an acid rock phase.  Van Dyke Parks co-wrote Cox's foray into the world of psychedelic rock.  The song is called "Black Sheep" and is definitely Van Dyke Parks and has just a little feel of a song that BW would write.  I urge VDP fans and Beach Boy fans to check the song and the movie out! 
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »

Sounds awesome!!  3D

CeylonSailor
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 11:31:46 AM »

Went to see Walk Hard last night, and I'll have to admit...watching Dewey Cox's "LSD Period" when he records the VDP song is awfully familiar to Beach Boy fans.  In fact, pretty sure one of his band mates tells him to not mess with the formula.  Great stuff.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »

i agree...plus, he can never "finish" his masterpiece

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »

Just saw the movie and it was sooooooooooo good!!!! The 'Smile' section surpassed my high expectations for it...it was amazingly hilarious and the song was AWESOME  3D VDP hooked up some Smile style craziness for the movie, check it out!

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

Went to see Walk Hard last night, and I'll have to admit...watching Dewey Cox's "LSD Period" when he records the VDP song is awfully familiar to Beach Boy fans.  In fact, pretty sure one of his band mates tells him to not mess with the formula.  Great stuff.

Don't mess with the recipe!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »

I loved when Dewey told the guy he had to learn how to play the fodaing theremin!
Meade
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

I realize this is a bump, but I just saw this movie and had to comment.

Brilliant stuff and some stuff that falls flat--but I loved the BW-influenced segments. Particularly the "trampoline" scene where they're doing Thanksgiving or something...it reminds me of Brian holding meetings in the pool or the sandbox in the living room...the little eccentricities. There were just so many "in jokes" throughout the whole segment that would no doubt be totally lost on people who aren't remotely familiar with the background. I had to explain what it was about to those I was with.

Of course I don't imagine Brian was as aggressive as this with the band, but then again, it's a different character.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »

a composite character
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »

Bushmen, make it sound like you're in the f**king bush!
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »

LOL hilarious!, the Brian Wilson parody is funny as hell, like when he tries to make sing a goat but he asks the goat to sing his heart not his soul! and the acid trip with the beatles is brilliant too.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

I wonder what Brian thought of this, especially the extended sequence in the "American Cox" director's cut.  (That version adds Dewey's family eating Thanksgiving dinner on his trampoline, and a considerably longer montage of the creation of "Black Sheep".) 

Between this, the Jim Morrison "ecstasy" sequence, the Beatles "LSD" sequence, and the numerous run-ins with Tim Meadows, the creators actually stopped partway through the filming and asked themselves if they lost the original point and were just making a movie about some guy on drugs... :-P
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

"Mike, you're flatting!"

No sh*t, he actually says that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx