gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:29:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The final aborted Beach Boy's album  (Read 23739 times)
XY
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »

...and, what did he wear? I guess the positive vibe will end in the next part...
Thanks for posting this!
Wilsonista
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2007, 07:43:16 AM »

That's the one thing I've always wondered.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »

The final installment of Cindy Lee Berryhill's account from ESQ:

Audree kept telling me how excited and pleased she was to see her two sons finally joined again in the studio, now with Mike Love's arrival she is simply sparkling.  My friend Mike Harris and I are standing next to Mike Love, and he's explaining to us and Don Was why his plane was late, what hell he had to go through.  "Sitting there, four hours on the tarmac waiting for the fog to clear.  It was terrible..." (then he gazes at me - a girl) "but the stewardesses were awfully good-looking."  I ignore him and turn back to the scene inside the control room. 

I decide it's time to call my boyfriend Paul and tell him what a weird day it's been, but while I'm gone I miss some of the best stuff.  My buddy Mike H. clues me in on the drive home: 

Mike Love is out in the session room singing his part into the microphone, when the tape comes to an abrupt halt.  Don Was says over the talk box he thinks Mike should try it again.  Mike Love chides back "Does anyone ever say no to Don Was?"

There's some joking around in the control room, someone asks Don Was:  "Hey, how much money did you make on that project?"

Don Was answers in some six figure amount.  Mike Love, still on the microphone, shoots back "Gee, I'll have to do a few more court cases to get that much money..."

Everyone in the studio is stunned Mike has said this, and all eyes shoot over to Brian who apparently has not been listening and hasn't heard this remark aimed, one would guess, at him. 

Mike goes back to singing his bass notes and Brian gives him a few helpful suggestions.  Finally Mike stops and speaks to Brian:

Mike:  "Who wrote this song?"
Brian:  "Andy Paley."
Andy:  "Well, we both wrote it."
Brian:  "Yeah."
Mike:  (sarcastically) "Well, I was just wondering why you wanted Carl to sing it.  How come there's no more Brian leads.  After all, you did almost all the leads on 'Pet Sounds' yourself."

Mike seems to have fallen into that old antagonistic "Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson-type routine and he's waiting for his opponent's volley.  Brian's response comes a minute later:  "Hey Mike, do you need to put on a Maharishi robe to sing this song?" 

The ice is broken and the session proceeds. 

I missed most of this classic Beach Boys dialogue while checking back in with Bernie Grundman's Mastering Lab (got my tape) and making plans for heading home (we had a two and a half hour drive ahead of us and it was turning into a supremely foggy night).  Carl Wilson gave Mike Harris and myself helpful freeway and news radio advice:  "Stay away from 405 and if 5 doesn't work take 10 east to 210 to 15."  Wow - he really knew his freeways!  Then Carl and his friend debated over the best news station for us to tune in on for weather reports. 

It was difficult to pry ourselves away from such an incredible event and then the whole serendipity of the situation left me and Mike Harris a bit stunned and exhausted.  We said our good-byes and walked back down that soft carpeted corridor towards the way out. 

In the reception area someone was being waived in by the same receptionist that had greeted Mike H. and myself earlier.  Clearly this newcomer was a BB fan.  His hands wrapped tightly around an old worn copy of "Summer Days (And Summer Nights)" and he had the look on his face - eyes as big as saucers. 

"Geeze," I said to my buddy Mike.  "Did we look that obvious?  I mean that freaked out?  It looked like that guy had seen a ghost."  We were almost to the car now, the fog was folding around us, it would be a slow thoughtful drive home.  Finally Mike H. answered, "Nah, we weren't that bad."

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »

Mike:  (sarcastically) "Well, I was just wondering why you wanted Carl to sing it.  How come there's no more Brian leads.  After all, you did almost all the leads on 'Pet Sounds' yourself."

He is an ass

"Hey Mike, do you need to put on a Maharishi robe to sing this song?" 

Classic! Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »

One heck of a story.. Thx for posting it...!!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »

Did we ever find out the exact reason why Carl walked out of those 1996 sessions? I mean, what song didn't he like, specificly? Why didn't he like it? It just blows my mind that he would not like Soul Searchin' and Still A Mystery, but he could put up with the whole Summer In Paradise album. From what I understand, Carl did not play a single guitar note on the SIP album, and only contributed a very minimal amount of vocals.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »

Did we ever find out the exact reason why Carl walked out of those 1996 sessions? I mean, what song didn't he like, specificly? Why didn't he like it? It just blows my mind that he would not like Soul Searchin' and Still A Mystery, but he could put up with the whole Summer In Paradise album. From what I understand, Carl did not play a single guitar note on the SIP album, and only contributed a very minimal amount of vocals.

On Page 2 of this thread, I opined that maybe Carl wasn't as enamored of the Wilson-Paley material as others, and that maybe he (Carl) felt that the finished album would end up like the previous 3-4 albums, which were mediocre at best. Some posters disagreed, stating that Carl's decision to leave had nothing to do with the songs. Those posters, however, didn't speculate what the other reason(s) might be.

As far as Carl contributing minimally - vocally - to Summer In Paradise, I felt that he was THE bright spot and actually carried the album.  IMO, despite the weak material, SIP is one of Carl's stronger albums. He is excellent on "Hot Fun In The Summertime", 'Lahaina Aloha", "Remember Walking In The Sand", and "Under The Boardwalk". And, his emotional vocal at the end of "Forever" is the highlight of the album for me.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:40 PM »

On Page 2 of this thread, I opined that maybe Carl wasn't as enamored of the Wilson-Paley material as others, and that maybe he (Carl) felt that the finished album would end up like the previous 3-4 albums, which were mediocre at best. Some posters disagreed, stating that Carl's decision to leave had nothing to do with the songs. Those posters, however, didn't speculate what the other reason(s) might be.

As far as Carl contributing minimally - vocally - to Summer In Paradise, I felt that he was THE bright spot and actually carried the album.  IMO, despite the weak material, SIP is one of Carl's stronger albums. He is excellent on "Hot Fun In The Summertime", 'Lahaina Aloha", "Remember Walking In The Sand", and "Under The Boardwalk". And, his emotional vocal at the end of "Forever" is the highlight of the album for me.
I must have overlooked your post. Sorry about that.  Wink In my opinion/theory, both of the above cases might be true. It must have been hard on all the members to carry on after one mediocre album after another. It must have been hard to guess which song might be a hit...or a miss. I think that another reason might have been some kind of group tension that has not been mentioned in this thread yet. I read somewhere that right before he died, Carl decided to take legal action against Brian for Brian's "autobiography". Were there a lot of bad feelings between the Wilsons by the final few years(1995-98)?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:52 PM »

However, this doesn't really answer the SIP issue. Was Carl's involvement another case of feeling the need to "cave in" for group "peace", ala Al Jardine with the cheerleaders?

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »

...and that maybe he (Carl) felt that the finished album would end up like the previous 3-4 albums, which were mediocre at best....

After Still Cruisin' and SIP I wouldn't have mind a mediocre album ...

...but that's speaking afterwards...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:07 AM »

And, his emotional vocal at the end of "Forever" is the highlight of the album for me.

For me too.  Smiley

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »

"I felt that he was THE bright spot and actually carried the album."

Hmmm, Al did that for my ears.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2007, 04:41:27 AM »

Remember, there were TWO sets of sessions in '95: the late February sessions for "Dancin' The Night Away" and possibly "Grace Of My Heart"...Carl reportedly walked out of those for non-musical reasons (i.e. some kind of tension with Brian), hence that stuff was never finished.   AND the September Don Was sessions, from which we get "Soul Searchin'" and "Still A Mystery".  Those two songs were finished, albeit with different backing tracks than what we have on the boots.  From what I've read, Carl thought those finished tracks were "not releasable" and then they moved on to "Stars 'n' Stripes".  Reportedly, Carl never heard them with the vocals pasted back onto the original Wilson/Paley tracks.

FYI, Domenic Priore told me back then that after those September sessions, Andy received a call from Was asking him to replace Jim Keltner's drumming on the Was-produced tracks, then shortly afterwards Was asked him to replace the bass or the guitar, then he kept calling him back to replace parts til everything was Andy again, just like it was on the original tracks (which Was had considered to be nothing more than demos).  Don reportedly told Andy "Y'know, Keltner's great but he just can't get the feel you got on the demos, Andy..." and on it went. 

And, if anyone's interested in hearing some more about the aborted February sessions, I can dig out my contemporary copy of Entertainment Weekly and post their article...but before you get excited, it says nothing about the breakdown of the sessions, just Brian's and Mike's positive "for the press" comments.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2007, 07:13:39 AM »

I'd be interested in reading that article, even if it is just PR stuff.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »

I'd be interested in reading that article, even if it is just PR stuff.

OK, I'll try to get it posted this weekend.
donutbandit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »

Did we ever find out the exact reason why Carl walked out of those 1996 sessions?

The only thing I can contribute as a mere listener is this: Carl was the only Beach Boy who did not sing on "Still A Mystery" and Brian did not sing on "Soul Searchin'." Coincidence, or were they fighting again?

BTW, I was a fan of the (Young) Rascals before becoming a Beach Boy fan, and "Soul Searchin'" seems to be a direct Rascals tribute. Not only the backgrounds, but the chord arrangement. Comments?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »

Who sang lead on Still a Mystery? I was pretty sure it was Carl.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2007, 09:55:58 PM »

It's Brian!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »

It's Brian!

No, it's definitely Carl.

EDIT: Oops, sorry I thought you were referring to "Soul Searchin'". Yeah, you're definitely right, it's Brian for sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:09:03 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Ethan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2007, 03:03:23 AM »

Well yeah it's Brian, but with a large dollop of Matt J!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

Mmm, Im loving all the info we're getting on Still a Mystery...I was all over this track a few months ago and listening to it again I understand why. Without a doubt the best 90's Beach Boys song.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:02:15 PM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »

Did we ever find out the exact reason why Carl walked out of those 1996 sessions?

The only thing I can contribute as a mere listener is this: Carl was the only Beach Boy who did not sing on "Still A Mystery" and Brian did not sing on "Soul Searchin'." Coincidence, or were they fighting again?

BTW, I was a fan of the (Young) Rascals before becoming a Beach Boy fan, and "Soul Searchin'" seems to be a direct Rascals tribute. Not only the backgrounds, but the chord arrangement. Comments?

Carl's on "Still A Mystery" (read Cindy Lee's account of the session - the first thing she saw was the two Wilson brothers singing a part into the same mic), he just blends in with Brian.  And I suspect Brian is on "Soul Searchin'', just not standing out.  Cindy Lee said the others (Carl, Al, Bruce & Matt) laid down their background part right after Carl's lead, then Mike showed up and did his bass part, but the session continued after she left...I'm sure they layered in more vocals tracks, with Brian joining in, and obviously they went back to "Mystery" and tracked Mike on the bass parts. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2007, 08:48:22 PM »

Wasn't the session for Still A Mystery and Soul Searchin' one of Carl's last? Which was first, this session, or the one Carl did for the Wilson-Beckley-Lamm album? I have read that Soul Searchin' was supposedly the last song Carl ever sang in the studio. I have also read the same thing for the song "I Wish For You".

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2007, 05:06:43 AM »

Wasn't the session for Still A Mystery and Soul Searchin' one of Carl's last? Which was first, this session, or the one Carl did for the Wilson-Beckley-Lamm album? I have read that Soul Searchin' was supposedly the last song Carl ever sang in the studio. I have also read the same thing for the song "I Wish For You".

Yeah, I don't think either was...Wilson-Beckley-Lamm was recorded over a long period of time, and had been underway for at yeast a year by 1992 or '93.  I'm not sure when it was finished up, but Carl's last venture into the studio was definitely NOT the "Soul Searchin'"/"Still A Mystery" session...that was late '95, but "Stars 'n' Stripes" was mostly recorded in '96, therefore...IT would seem to be Carl's last set of sessions, at least with the Beach Boys.

However, the last NEW song Carl recorded MAY have been "Soul Searchin'"...the last new BW song he recorded definitely was.  Brian had wanted him to do a vocal on his "Imagination" album, but they never got to it. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »

Brian had wanted him to do a vocal on his "Imagination" album, but they never got to it. 

Gee, I've never heard that. Probably because I wasn't a fan in the years around Imagination but that would have been fantastic. What song does everyone think Carl would best be suited on?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx