gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:03:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The final aborted Beach Boy's album  (Read 23679 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2007, 06:05:14 AM »

Carl's final studio recordings were backing vocals for two Michael Angeloff songs, "Here And Now... Is Forever"  & "Life's So Strange".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2007, 08:23:05 AM »

Brian had wanted him to do a vocal on his "Imagination" album, but they never got to it. 

Gee, I've never heard that. Probably because I wasn't a fan in the years around Imagination but that would have been fantastic. What song does everyone think Carl would best be suited on?
Carl wanted to do Lay Down Burden. I can't imagine him singing it, though, or any other leads on the album, probably because I'm so used to Brian. I can picture him singing the "runnin', runnin' runnin' wild" part in the chorus of Your Imagination.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »

Carl wanted to do Lay Down Burden. I can't imagine him singing it, though, or any other leads on the album, probably because I'm so used to Brian. I can picture him singing the "runnin', runnin' runnin' wild" part in the chorus of Your Imagination.

That's interesting Aegir. That's nice to know that Carl got to hear atleast some of the songs from the album (not in finished form of course). I can't really imagine him singing any of the songs either (hence why I didn't suggest any songs that I thought he should've sung) but as you say it's probably because we're so used to Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2007, 09:15:39 AM »

I guess that knocks the myth that Brian wrote "LDB" as a requiem for Carl firmly on the head, then.  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »

Actually, that myth was demolished a long time ago. I remember Lauri Klobas mentioning that title to me, and that was in April 1997.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »

Actually, that myth was demolished a long time ago. I remember Lauri Klobas mentioning that title to me, and that was in April 1997.

My understanding is that Brian came up with the title & chorus of "LDB" after learning that Audree's condition had taken a turn for the worse (up to a year before she actually died), and the rest of the song after learning of Carl's cancer diagnosis.  The April '97 date would fit in with that just fine.

I did read somewhere once a different title mentioned in conjunction with the song Brian wanted Carl to sing (and I believe the story goes he wanted him to sing the lead).  It wasn't a song that actually made the "Imagination" album, but the title was something like "Portrait Of A Man".  Not quite I'm sure, but close to that title.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »

Yep.  Believe I read that in an ESQ around the album release, with the quote attributed to Joe Thomas.  Don't recall the actual song title, but Thomas made it clear that it WAS NOT LDB.  I think that just grew out of myth.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wilsonista
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »

Re: Lay Down Burden. I recall reading that the song was written to Marilyn.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2007, 10:13:12 PM »

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. 

I guess now that I think about the lyrics, that would make sense.  "Just remember the way I held you, you're always in my heart".

Brian's songs aren't usually very obvious as to who they are about, so who knows?  Maybe its some combination of Marilyn, Carl and his mother. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2007, 04:53:53 AM »

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. 

I guess now that I think about the lyrics, that would make sense.  "Just remember the way I held you, you're always in my heart".

Brian's songs aren't usually very obvious as to who they are about, so who knows?  Maybe its some combination of Marilyn, Carl and his mother. 

I would say it's definitely a comibination of Audree & Carl, and maybe Marilyn. 
Or Landy.  (Just kidding).   Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2007, 02:57:22 AM »

What's the story behind the Beach Boys backing Collin Raye on "Winter wonderland" (doing this very good imo) ? Is Brian with them (it definitely sounds like him on some parts)? Was it from the S&S-sessions?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:59:26 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »

Brian's there in the mix for sure. Not certain of the chronology, but that might Carl's last BB session. Certainly it post-dates the Quo "Fun, Fun, Fun" thing.

And yes, it is nice.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2007, 08:55:48 PM »

Were the sessions for Soul Searchin' and Still A Mystery the last Beach Boy's sessions of original material? Are there any confirmed instances of them going into the studio in 1997? I would imagine that Carl was pretty sick by then though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »

No 1997 studio sessions that I know of, and by September Carl was too unwell to tour.

jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »

Not sure if this has already been posted (maybe on the Beach Boys YouTube thread??) but thought I would post anyway.  It's an Australian Today Show interview from of Brian from 1995.  Brian discusses IGIJWMFTT release and Orange Crate Art and a little on the next Beach Boys record.  Brian sounds really optimistic about a hit record from the Beach Boys in summer of 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqaASroCTs

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »

Thanks! This makes me so sad, Brian and Mike really wanted to work again with each other.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx