gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:14:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The final aborted Beach Boy's album  (Read 23676 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »

As I understand it, The Beach Boys went into the studio around 1995-96 to try to put together another album. Only two songs were allegedly recorded: Soul Searchin' and She's Still A Mystery. I was hoping that we could get AGD or possbly c-man to help with the information on this. Exactly how much got recorded? Why did it all fall apart? Listening to the above songs mentioned is a maddening experience. If you put those together with Gettin' Out Of My Head, Proud Mary, and I Wish For You, this has a lot of potential to be a hell of an album. Of course, i'm just speaking hypothetically. But I think you guys get my point. They could have put out something great, but they released Stars and Stripes instead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dr. Don Westphall
Smiley Smile Newbie

We Should Have Better Health Care

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:42:47 AM »

Hiya Jay -
I don't know all the details, but here's my two cents. Andy Paley (of power pop duo The Paley Brothers) has been a longtime friend of Brian's. (Together with brother Jonathan he recorded an LP around 1979; the Ramones collaborated on Richie Valens' 'C'mon Let's Go', but the true standout track is 'Rendez-Vous', where the guys out-Spector mr. Phil himself. It was released on Sire, and to my eternal shame I sold it when my mind was temporarily AWOL). More about him later.
In the mid-'90s all kinds of rumours were flying around, most of these were eloquently written down in UK magazines Vox and Uncut. Both issues are in my possession.
One storyline had it that Sean O'Hagan of the High Llamas had flown over to L.A. to discuss a collaboration with Brian on new material. But this project was still-born, and nothing appeared over the counter or otherwise that I know of. It might have to do with a certain Joe Thomas being not too bowled over about the plans.
The other concept did eventually bear fruit. Paley and Wilson did record a full album's worth of songs, but in what state they finally got left is not so sure. Some are clearly demos, others are more complete. The cycle of songs ended up on the bleg market as 'The Wilson/Paley Sessions', and 'Slightly American Music' (the latter being a true CD in a true digipak cover). I agree with you: had this material been fully realized there and then it would have been a superb latterday Brian album, easily surpassing his other solo material (bar 'SMiLE' that is). 'Getting In Over My Head' is fantastic in its original incarnation, for instance. See for Paley's empathy with Wilson's craft also: 'This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight' (only available on a Swedish CD-single with 'Til I Die' on it.
I hope AGD can add some facts here. I can only follow my intuition and guess that Joe Thomas and Mike Love were more successful in pressing forward another project: 'Stars 'n' Stripes', sort of a very forced reunion if you ask me. Love's longtime infatuation with C 'n' W could be a pointer here. But it's also clear in the video material with this album that Brian speaks in a very coerced, unspontaneous way to Mike.

It's Not Down On Any Map. True Places Never Are.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 03:01:34 AM »

This may help:

http://smileysmile.net/OLDlibrary/timeline.html

One of these days I will move it officially into the Library.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:05:35 AM »

The Virgin offshoot V2 were very desirious of having the band record an album for them, with the rider that Brian HAD to be involved at all levels. Uncut describes the whole affair from Sean O'Hagen's viewpoint, making it obvious why it was never going to happen (whose idea it was to involve him isn't clear, but decidedly not Mike or Brian, who later observed "he's doing stuff I was doing 30 years ago - why would I want to do that all over again ?"). The band did reunite in the studio, and recorded vocals to "Mystery" & "SS", with Don was nominally in control and providing new (i.e. non-Wilson/Paley) instrumental tracks. From what I've heard, Brian was fully in control of the vocal sessions, and it shows, especially on "Mystery". Then, Mike & Brian collaborated on a new song and insisted the band cut it. The title of this new opus ? "Dancin' The Night Away", aimed squarely at the 'Baywatch' spinoff, 'Baywatch Nights'. The band had a bv session (curiously, Paley did the demo vocals), Carl decided he didn't like it, walked out... and that was it.  According to Bruce, Brian's people decided he'd do a solo album first and killed the deal. Exactly where Stars & Stripes fits into this scenario isn't clear.

BTW, the booted versions of "SS" & "Mystery" are the BW-produced BB vocals (but not all of them) flown in over the BW/Paley tracks, apparently by Mark Linett... I think - this is a highly confused and confusing period of BB history. Anyone know better, especially Mark, is highly welcome to correct me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 04:52:06 AM »

"See for Paley's empathy with Wilson's craft also: 'This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight' (only available on a Swedish CD-single with 'Til I Die' on it."

Also available on the Do It Again single off IJWMFTT
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 06:38:31 AM »

(whose idea it was to involve him isn't clear, but decidedly not Mike or Brian, who later observed "he's doing stuff I was doing 30 years ago - why would I want to do that all over again ?").

I once read somewhere that it was Bruce's idea to bring in Sean O'Hagan, after hearing The High Llamas' "Gideon Gaye" and/or "Hawaii".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »

"See for Paley's empathy with Wilson's craft also: 'This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight' (only available on a Swedish CD-single with 'Til I Die' on it."

Same CD single.  Cheesy  Not a US release.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »

(...)

Then, Mike & Brian collaborated on a new song and insisted the band cut it. The title of this new opus ? "Dancin' The Night Away", aimed squarely at the 'Baywatch' spinoff, 'Baywatch Nights'. The band had a bv session (curiously, Paley did the demo vocals), Carl decided he didn't like it, walked out... and that was it.

(...)

Alan Boyd once said on this same board that "Baywatch Nights" had been recorded several months before "Soul Searchin":

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4117.msg69121.html#msg69121

If this is true, "Baywatch Nights" would be unlikely to have been the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a strange period of BB history indeed.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:14:27 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »

Damn. Forgot that. Maybe that explains the Paley vocal presence.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:46 AM »

Wait - the timeline has a lot of interesting information:

On March 27, 1995, a reporter said:

Suddenly, the vibrations seem good again. Pop maestro Brian Wilson, 53, brother Carl, 50, and cousin Mike Love, 54, are gathered round the microphone, just like old times, singing one of those unmistakable harmonies that so often lifted the Beach Boys to the top of the charts. But this is no oldies show. The three are actually working on a new song, happily crooning, "Meet me somewhere out in Malibu!"

But then, sometime in September 1995...

The Beach Boys at Studio C at Western, with Don Was producing, record vocals for the Wilson Paley sessions for Soul Searchin' and Still A Mystery. During background vocal sessions for Baywatch Nights AKA Dancing The Night Away, Carl Wilson walks out and the reunion ends.

So you (Andrew) and Alan were both partially right, it seems. The song was recorded in March, but there was a "background vocals" session held in September during which Carl walked out!

Phew, finally sorted out!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »

I ought to listen to that once in a while!  Cheesy
Dr. Don Westphall
Smiley Smile Newbie

We Should Have Better Health Care

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »

Same CD single.  Cheesy  Not a US release.

Okidoki. And with a brilliant cover photo. And I have it.  Cool Guy

It's Not Down On Any Map. True Places Never Are.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 11:52:16 AM »

So Carl walked out of a background vocal situation just because he didn't like what he was supposed to sing? Still, his voice can be heard on so many of the Beach Boys' most embarrassing songs, it's hard to believe that reunion ended just because of irreconcilable musical differences. Having never seen any of the Stars & Stripes footage except for the short clips featured in the Endless Harmony doc, I wonder how Brian and Carl really got along during those Nashville sessions.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 12:14:07 PM »

I think he was already sick by that point and didn't know it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »

Surely it wouldn't have that much of an effect. I find it hard to fathom that in September Carl walks out on a session for a track trhat he had already helped record the previous March and then is perfectly willing to go aling with Stars and Stripes!

But then again we are talking about the Beach Boys.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »

Hey I'm no expert on recording but if their heart was really into it and given the group knew months prior a deal was in the making, would it not make sense for Carl, Al and even Bruce to turn up with a few tunes or ideas?
They must have known Mike would have a dozen 'Kokomos' and Brian's contribution would be unpredictable.

If Carl was not the first one to walk out, it was only a matter of time before someone else did.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:24:38 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 01:52:40 PM »

The question as to why Carl would walk out on a "new" Beach Boys' album, and then participate in the Stars & Stripes project is an interesting one. The answer might be simply playing the percentages - and money.

Yes, the two songs "Soul Searchin'" and "She's Still A Mystery" showed some promise. But what were the odds of the finished, released album turning out just as strong. In Carl's view, maybe not so good. Let's look at the past couple of albums before 1995. They all had 3-4 really good songs and a bunch of middle of the road stuff. Sure, Mike probably would've insisted on his dose of Kokomo-like ditties. Bruce might've added his obligatory sugary ballad. Did Carl and/or Al have anything special? And, of course, there was no Dennis. So, what did you have? In Carl's eyes, maybe another MIU, a KTSA, or probably another BB85. Maybe Carl didn't want the disappointment of ANOTHER Beach Boys' album of new material tanking.

So why would Carl agree to Stars & Stripes? Lowered expectations? With tried and true BB/BW classics, it couldn't be a total bomb. And of course, $$$$$$$. Hey, either way there was gonna be a new record released. With Stars & Stripes, you didn't have the investment - physically, spiritually, psychologically, etc. Go in, record a few vocals, get a check. If it fails, at least it wasn't another blow to their legacy.

I should mention that my opinion of the BW/Andy Paley material is not as high as others. Maybe Carl felt the same way....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »

The band did reunite in the studio, and recorded vocals to "Mystery" & "SS", with Don was nominally in control and providing new (i.e. non-Wilson/Paley) instrumental tracks.

BTW, the booted versions of "SS" & "Mystery" are the BW-produced BB vocals (but not all of them) flown in over the BW/Paley tracks, apparently by Mark Linett... I think ...

Andrew, was the band recording those vocals over the BW/AP instrumental tracks, just using the latter as a scratch-pad and with the intention of the Was-produced tracks being added? Or were they using Was tracks? If so, it strikes me as really odd for the vocals to be put over the BW/AP instrumental tracks when they weren't recorded over or for them. Why would Mark (or anyone) do that?

And lastly, when you say "BW-produced BB vocals (but not all of them," do you mean 1) Mark (or whomever) pulled only some of the total vocals that were recorded onto those BW/AP tracks, or 2) not all the boots of those are the BW-produced BB vocals? Or 3) not all are the BW/AP tracks? Sorry if I'm making the questions more confusing than the answers. I've always been curious about this last attempt at a decent piece of work, and I'd love to get whatever can be clarified, clarified.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

S & S was a bad idea. Why anyone would think the 90's hot country audience would go for the BB is beyond me.  The Eagles tribute made perfect commercial sense because there was a stronger possibility that your avergae Vince Gill fan bought Eagles' records in the 70's than BB records.

Not a Wilson/Paley? I think Andy got the best out of Brian since SMiLE.  No one would get as much good stuff out of Brian until Scott Benett. As far as everyone else wanting their share. yeah, Mike wanted a creative presence, but I do remember reading a quote from Bruce during the timeframe where he says something to the effect of  it being pointless to do a BB album with out new Brian songs.  He might have been more willing than you give him credit for to be just a singer.
Wilsonista
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »

Mu understanding is that Don Was cut the new versions for the BB record and that the Boys were dubbing vocals over the Was tracks.  Why would someone take those vocals and fly them into the W/P tracks? probably the same reason why Steve Desper created the long version of Til I Die, perhaps?  It was rumored that Was when he heard the results thought that Brian's and Andy's backing tracks were much stronger than the tracks he rpoduced. Therefore, if I were Don Was, I would probably  wanted to hear how the BB voices would have sounded over the original tracks.  Of course by that time, the project was probably dead.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »

I've never felt "Soul Searchin" was more than an average song.  Would have loved to hear "Desert Drive" with lead vocals from Mike Love.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »

I'm curious about the Baywatch Nights song.  If the song was recorded has anyone actually heard it?  Has it turned up on bootlegs anywhere?  I've heard "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" but have never heard this song.  I believe it was rumored to be titled "Dancin' The Night Away"; could this have morphed into "How Could We Still Be Dancin'?" or are these two completely different songs?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »

Mu understanding is that Don Was cut the new versions for the BB record and that the Boys were dubbing vocals over the Was tracks.  Why would someone take those vocals and fly them into the W/P tracks? probably the same reason why Steve Desper created the long version of Til I Die, perhaps?  It was rumored that Was when he heard the results thought that Brian's and Andy's backing tracks were much stronger than the tracks he rpoduced. Therefore, if I were Don Was, I would probably  wanted to hear how the BB voices would have sounded over the original tracks.  Of course by that time, the project was probably dead.

That definitely does make sense--just wondering if anyone knew whether it was official purposes, unofficial (as you speculate), etc.

I agree with you on the previous thread, though, that the Paley sessions are among the best work Brian has done since generally disassociating himself from the band. I don't think those songs are all brilliant, by any means. But they're generally pretty good. They're catchy. They're fun. And if the band had taken part, the results of an album of such stuff would have been their best in more than 20 years, I think--since Holland.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:40:54 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »

I'm curious about the Baywatch Nights song.  If the song was recorded has anyone actually heard it?  Has it turned up on bootlegs anywhere?  I've heard "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" but have never heard this song.  I believe it was rumored to be titled "Dancin' The Night Away"; could this have morphed into "How Could We Still Be Dancin'?" or are these two completely different songs?

No, it wasn't recycled into anaother song. "Dancin' The Night Away" has been booted.  If I had to compare it to somethingl I would say Do It Again only with a more Spectorish flavor.  (as one would expect with Andy Paley)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

So it was Baywatch Nights/Dancin' The Night Away that was "the straw that broke the camels back" for Carl? I for the life of me could not figure out why he wouldn't like Soul Searchin' and Still A Mystery. I have a theory about this. Do you think that it's possible that those two songs were to GOOD? Before you shake your head at this, hear me out. Let's face it, every album the group did from KTSA to Summer In Paradise got progressively worse. I think that it might have been embarrassing for Carl to suddenly come up with "SS" and "SAM", after putting up with sh*t like Kokomo and Summer of Love. I myself would have been depressed to put out a great album and pretend that everything is fine and dandy, after my group had been pulled through the mud by Mike and his " Fun Fun Fun as America's Band" bull sh*t.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx