-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:41:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Kevin Love
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kevin Love  (Read 16954 times)
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »

Oops.  Kev upset some people...
http://blog.oregonlive.com/steveduin/2007/11/whiner_of_the_week_kevin_love.html

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:15:47 PM »

ahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahhaha

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »

Those genes are pretty dominant in that family aren't they??
oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

If I were him, I'd change my name-and real quick!! LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »

Takes after his uncle Mike, eh?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:15 AM »

As an Oregon alum and ongoing Duck fan, I'm glad that Kevin has taken his show to LA instead of following his father's footsteps to Eugene.   What a couple of narcisistic clods.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:37:27 AM »

As an Oregon alum and ongoing Duck fan, I'm glad that Kevin has taken his show to LA instead of following his father's footsteps to Eugene.   What a couple of narcisistic clods.

It shouldn't be surprising that Kevin Love is acting like that, considering his more famous uncle is one of the most "narcissistic clods" in rock and roll. The desire to hog the spotlight, according to this article, sounds like it might run in the Love family.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:41:26 AM »

I don't see what the big deal is, he just wish he had more affection from his hometown fans. He doesn't seem to be making a big deal out of it. Leave it to a blogger with a chip on his shoulder to put it in negative light.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 05:46:56 PM »

Steve Duin, the author of the piece, has been a columnist for Oregon's largest paper for many years. This entry is from that paper's web site.

Any other evidence of an anti-Love chip on his shoulder or just conjecture?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »

Word just in...Kevin Love is suing the Lakers for the rights of the team name.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »

And I'm suing myself for that stupid joke I just made.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is, he just wish he had more affection from his hometown fans. He doesn't seem to be making a big deal out of it. Leave it to a blogger with a chip on his shoulder to put it in negative light.

It isn't a big deal, I just think the writer was venting on behalf of fans who find it annoying when an athlete who has been publicly praised for YEARS already, despite just being a first-semester college freshman, and who is undoubtedly on the road to certain millions, whines about something so silly--as if the commoners should be grateful to a blue- chip athlete for gracing them with his presence. For me, it's not a BBs or anti-Mike thing. It's the example of how insane our money-sports can be, and how it affects those involved. (And I am a very big bball fan, including of Love's game--he's a brilliant player.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wilsonista
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 06:43:42 PM »

It isn't a big deal, I just think the writer was venting on behalf of fans who find it annoying when an athlete who has been publicly praised for YEARS already, despite just being a first-semester college freshman, and who is undoubtedly on the road to certain millions, whines about something so silly--as if the commoners should be grateful to a blue- chip athlete for gracing them with his presence.

That's exactly why I stopped watching sports. I went from worshipping arrogant millionaire jocks to worshipping degenerate drug-addled musican/amateur human beings.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »

Hmmm.  Those degenerate 'drug-addled' musician/amateur human beings also happen to be millionaires.
Some of them are arrogant, some of them aren't so arrogant.  So I guess having the millions (or talent) doesn't matter - you're either arrogant or you're not.  I think it has a lot to do with how you are brought up and what you are told is important...

Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »

I hate professional sports. Maybe I should have just stuck with that.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »

Excerpt from the article:
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/fromcomments/222804.php

According to reports, the Pit Crew bombarded Love with insults — mostly vulgar — and went so far as to put his cell phone number on a sign. Students also held up a sign referring to cocaine use by the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson.

BTW, Kevin clobbered the Ducks. 

30 years ago I saw a really well done Beach Boys concert in the same venue, though the guy in sparkling cape who played bass and keyboards was a bit iffy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 07:43:21 PM »

30 years ago I saw a really well done Beach Boys concert in the same venue, though the guy in sparkling cape who played bass and keyboards was a bit iffy.

Was he constantly taking drags off of a cig between songs and did he sing in a really raspy, out of tune squeal?

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »

It was a better time for him than that of a few years later.....
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »

I am divided....

I think it's neat that the kid is doing something that he wants to do, is passionate about, a career that he enjoys. 
I get the impression his father is the type that stops at nothing to help his kid succeed, but....I think that family truly thrives on drama and attention, the whole bunch of them....the world isn't always going to spin around them, they need to figure that out.

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

.the world isn't always going to spin around them, they need to figure that out.

Kevin will figure that out whenever he declares for the NBA draft, because as skilled a player as he is, he's not as big or as athletic as pro scouts and coaches prefer for someone who plays power forward and center (which he does). So he's going to find himself going from superstar to skilled but limited role player. First round pick? Yes. Lottery pick? Maybe. But NBA star? No. Good player. Not star.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »

.the world isn't always going to spin around them, they need to figure that out.

Kevin will figure that out whenever he declares for the NBA draft, because as skilled a player as he is, he's not as big or as athletic as pro scouts and coaches prefer for someone who plays power forward and center (which he does). So he's going to find himself going from superstar to skilled but limited role player. First round pick? Yes. Lottery pick? Maybe. But NBA star? No. Good player. Not star.

Maybe he'll surprise people.  Maybe he won't be a huge star with shoe deals, but good big men are hard to find.  If he can fill that role on a team that really needs someone like that, even without the greatest skills, he could be a very popular player on whatever team he winds up on.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:40 PM »

I have no doubt he'll be good--very good, in fact. And he may well be popular, especially (and i'm not trying to start a war here, just stating an observation) with white players often disproportionately popular in the NBA. I'm just saying he won't be a star anymore.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »

not to sound negative, but why isn't this buried in the Sandbox?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »

with white players often disproportionately popular in the NBA.

Please name some of the white players that you are thinking of.  I've seen where players recieve disproportionate attention and sometimes a spike in popularity  due to bad behavior  (like Ron Artest or Latrell Sprewell)  but nothing overtly race-based. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »

not to sound negative, but why isn't this buried in the Sandbox?

The Love connection, I suppose. But it obviously belongs there. I'll try to move it by the force of my mind.

f***. Didn't work.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: