gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 09:13:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Bag of Vegetables 9-disk set???  (Read 23852 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »

Disc 8:

1. Cabin Essence (verse takes 1-22)
2. Cabin Essence (chorus trakes 1-17)
3. Cabin Essence (chorus takes 18-23)
4. Cabin Essence (tag takes 1-5)
5. Cabin Essence (verse chorus mix 1)
6. Cabin Essence (verse chorus mix 2)
7. Cabin Essence (verse chorus mix 3)
8. Cabin Essence (verse chorus mix 4)
9. Cabin Essence (verse chorus mix 5)
10. Cabin Essence (verse chorus overdub)
11. Cabin Essence (verse chorus tag vox overdub)
12. Cabin Essence (tag vocal overdub)
13. Cabin Essence (chorus tag overdub)
14. Cabin Essence (chorus tag vox overdub)
15. Cabin Essence (backing track)
16. Cabin Essence (1968 vox only)
17. Cabin Essence (1968 completed track)
18. Cabin Essence (truck drivin man isolated vox)
19. Cabin Essence (true stereo mix) *fan edit

Disc 9:
Psychadelic Sounds track listing

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 03:56:19 AM »

Discs 10 - 12:

Identical to the SOT material (bar slightly alternate playing sequence due to disc space) with the additional tracks on Disc 12:

Track 30. Good Vibrations (pulled master sans lead vox)
Track 31. Good Vibrations (chello and tannerin isolted) *fan edit
Track 32. Good Vibrations instrumental backing track
Track 33. Good Vibrations (incomplete vox 45 master)
Track 34. Good Vibrations 45 mono mix
Track 35. Good Vibrations 45 true stereo mix * fan edit

The booklets are IMO the best ever made for a boot series. Complete with color session pics and arranged on a H&V green style backdrop. Included are all known session dates. The discs are done on the Brother style label.
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 06:18:49 AM »

Looks like a nice complete collection of smile sessions. Any idea about what of this stuff is totally unheard?
Any revelatory or interesting sounds?
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

I guess the nice thing is that the tracks are ordered properly and in some semblance of chronological order (at least under the song title).  It is also nice to hear complete sessions, and hearing material that has been substantially cleaned up. There is nothing really revolutionary except to hear it in its development stage allows you to appreciate how much work went into it.
Jason
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

Nothing on there that hasn't been heard.
PhilCohen
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »

I guess that the bottom of the barrel has been scraped. Mike Love once explained the lack of an official Beach Boys "Smile" compilation by saying "You've got it all already". Perhaps we do. There's still the hope that Capitol or Brother may uncover some previously unheard material from tapes that were misplaced,misfiled,stolen or weren't retrieved from studios or labels or individuals who owned those studios.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »

I guess that the bottom of the barrel has been scraped. Mike Love once explained the lack of an official Beach Boys "Smile" compilation by saying "You've got it all already". Perhaps we do. There's still the hope that Capitol or Brother may uncover some previously unheard material from tapes that were misplaced,misfiled,stolen or weren't retrieved from studios or labels or individuals who owned those studios.

Plus, there's got to be better quality versions of some of what we have, like the two tracks I talked about before (Da-Da stereo version and the track to the harpischord version Wonderful.)
Jason
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »

All that's left mainly are vocal sessions that we know were recorded, but they might be lost/erased, and only Brian knows what happened to them, if he does. He might say he doesn't when he really does.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »

All that's left mainly are vocal sessions that we know were recorded, but they might be lost/erased, and only Brian knows what happened to them, if he does. He might say he doesn't when he really does.
Like the tapes with the vocals for "Look" which went missing?

I highly doubt any vocals were recorded for the verses of DYLW.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »

Mike really said that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »

I'm 50-50% on that one. No one has come up with corresponding AFM-Sheet/tapebox evidence to say whether or not there was a session for those vocals. No evidence outside of the lyric sheet given to Frank Holmes in 1966.

But there were vocal sessions for "CIFOTM" and "Part 2" sessions for "Surf's Up."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »

I'm 50-50% on that one. No one has come up with corresponding AFM-Sheet/tapebox evidence to say whether or not there was a session for those vocals. No evidence outside of the lyric sheet given to Frank Holmes in 1966.

But there were vocal sessions for "CIFOTM" and "Part 2" sessions for "Surf's Up."

Yeah but are we talking about the chorus vocals for Child (which we have) or are we talking about vocals on the verses?

Also, are we sure that there's part 2 sessions for Surf's Up?
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »

The January sessions for "Surf's Up" were labeled as tracking for Part 2.

Apparently there are some verse vocals for "CITFOTM" that can barely be heard bleeding through a recorded playback. That being said, there were enough sessions for "CITFOTM" to hypothetsize that there likely were vocal sessions for the verses. But it's just a guess.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 07:44:02 AM »

The January sessions for "Surf's Up" were labeled as tracking for Part 2.

Apparently there are some verse vocals for "CITFOTM" that can barely be heard bleeding through a recorded playback. That being said, there were enough sessions for "CITFOTM" to hypothetsize that there likely were vocal sessions for the verses. But it's just a guess.

Interesting on the CITFOTM info.

I thought that the sessions for Surf's Up in January 67 were for the first part. Is it possible the first movement was started in December of 66?
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »

I don't have LLVS in front of me right now, so I don't really remember. For some reason, it's sticking out in my mind that the first section of "Surf's Up," plus the "Talking French Horns" overdubs, were all recorded in November 1966.

I believe Brad Elliott lays it all out in detail in LLVS.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »

Surf's Up part one tracking was Nov 4, 66 with brass overdubs Nov 7th (George Fell was taped at that session).

Part Two tracking was Jan 23, 1967.

Two vocal sessions were held for Worms, Oct 18 and Dec 21st, the first Brian only (the Hawaiian tag?), the second the full group.

I thought the bleed through vocals heard when Darian and Brian reviewed tapes for BWPS were on the chorus, not the verses.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »

You might be right about that. But then that wouldn't be anything we haven't already heard, so I'm not sure why chorus bleed would really matter. Maybe that was us otakus hoping there was more.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »

Mike really said that?
It doesn't surprise me. I remember reading an interview where the interviewer mentioned owning a BB bootleg, and Mike's response was "You ass-hole, give me 20 dollars!"

EDIT: Here it is verbatim...  (bold is interviewer)

Now the million dollar question: Will Smile ever be released?

There was brilliant pieces of music but it's disjointed and fragmented and unfinished so I don't see any real venue for doing it. I don't see any real reason for it to come out other than certain collectors would like to hear some of those unfinished tapes. They probably have them anyway (uproarious laughter).

I'm not saying anything.

You lousy bastard, that'll be 20 dollars (laughs).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:39:52 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »

That's possibly the instance where Mike comes off the most human and funny.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »

Mike really said that?
It doesn't surprise me. I remember reading an interview where the interviewer mentioned owning a BB bootleg, and Mike's response was "You ass-hole, give me 20 dollars!"

EDIT: Here it is verbatim...  (bold is interviewer)

Now the million dollar question: Will Smile ever be released?

There was brilliant pieces of music but it's disjointed and fragmented and unfinished so I don't see any real venue for doing it. I don't see any real reason for it to come out other than certain collectors would like to hear some of those unfinished tapes. They probably have them anyway (uproarious laughter).

I'm not saying anything.

You lousy bastard, that'll be 20 dollars (laughs).

Yet another case of Mike trying to take financial credit for Brian's work .....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »

Surf's Up part one tracking was Nov 4, 66 with brass overdubs Nov 7th (George Fell was taped at that session).

Wow, Novemeber? I didn't think it was that early.

We must go on a quest to find the holy grail the sessions for part 2. Watch out for flying cows!  Grin
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

We've been on that trail forever.

Back in 2003, Malcolm Leo told me that he had a copy of the full "Surf's Up" track in his archive, and I about crapped my pants. But when pushed further, he clarified that it wasn't the "SU" backing track, nor anything from the studio. What he meant was the video of Brian performing the song in his living room, without the "Inside Pop" narration. Hence the "full track."

Alas, "Part 2" remains unfound. I think Alan Boyd reported a few years back that there was a tape box for that session, but it was empty. I don't want to get all mysterious sounding here. I tend to speak in grail connotations and really shouldn't. For all we know, the tape was damaged, misplaced or just never turned out. After all, Carl Wilson, Jack Rieley and Stephen Desper never came across that section back in 1971. Not sure if anyone has anything further or not.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:00:56 PM by brianc » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2008, 09:09:16 AM »

So...has anybody recently compiled the ultimate SMiLE discography yet?

By that, I mean a list that compiles the complete original sessions and tracks, in the best quality possible.  And with as little redundancy as possible.  And not counting fan mixes, etc.

(Mainly...I'm trying to find out if there's anything I'm still missing!  I think I have everything as of yesterday, having downloaded the SOT Source Tape boot, although the quality isn't fantastic...)
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »

Alas, "Part 2" remains unfound. I think Alan Boyd reported a few years back that there was a tape box for that session, but it was empty. I don't want to get all mysterious sounding here. I tend to speak in grail connotations and really shouldn't. For all we know, the tape was damaged, misplaced or just never turned out. After all, Carl Wilson, Jack Rieley and Stephen Desper never came across that section back in 1971. Not sure if anyone has anything further or not.

Alan has said here that there are several empty Smile era tape boxes but I'm almost positive he didn't specifically mention Surf's Up 'part 2'.

Others can provide more details but some of the experts are of the opinon that 'part 2' may have not been recorded. 

Does anyone know if group vocals were ever added to part 1 in '66/'67?
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »

While there likely isn't much Smile stuff in the Brother vaults that hasn't been booted (save for Jazz, more Great Shape instro takes, etc) much of what we know exists will present substantial sonic upgrades over what circulates. Some of the stuff we have sounds awful (CITFORM for instance). The stuff we do have from acetate sounds really poor. I'm sure the extant acetates or best tape copies of the acetates will sound better than. let's say, the version of Old Master Painter with vocals that circulates.

It is almost certain that there are acetates in existence that contain material that has not been booted. Alan Boyd has said that here. What is interesting is that with all of the Smile stuff that has been booted we only have a handful of vintage BW mixes. The Smile sessions lasted 8-9 months. We know that during that span BW had to have done tons of rough mixes and test edits. Where is all that stuff?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx