gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS vs BEATLEMANIA: Rediscovering Sixties Music  (Read 9168 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:01:38 PM »

Thanks to a heads-up on the BBBritain site.

http://www.booklocker.com/books/3210.html

Free Excerpt From The Book (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

http://booklocker.com/pdf/3210s.pdf
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »

Wow! Although, I agree that the media has hyped the Beatles as much more then they are, I think he's selling them a bit short. I think the Beatles were a very good band. Not the best ever IMO. But sometimes people will go to the opposite extreme to get a point across. But as a 'jealous' Beach Boys fan, I'm glad he (she?) did.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:16:25 PM »

Wow! Although, I agree that the media has hyped the Beatles as much more then they are, I think he's selling them a bit short. I think the Beatles were a very good band. Not the best ever IMO. But sometimes people will go to the opposite extreme to get a point across. But as a 'jealous' Beach Boys fan, I'm glad he (she?) did.

I love both Beatles and Beach Boys.
Both fabulous bands. Wouldn't like to choose between them but if you pin me down......The Boys just shade it.

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:46:34 AM »

I think The Beatles are the second best band ever. But still not nearly as good as the Beach Boys.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »

IMO...

Brian Wilson, as a songwriter/musician, is AT LEAST the equal, if not superior to Lennon/McCartney. 

But as a band - gotta be the Fabs.  The Beach Boys, although underrated as live band, never did anything to match the drive or dynamism of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Paperback Writer, Get Back, Come Together etc etc....

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:31:30 AM »

But as a band - gotta be the Fabs.  The Beach Boys, although underrated as live band, never did anything to match the drive or dynamism of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Paperback Writer, Get Back, Come Together etc etc....

What about I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun, Dance Dance Dance, Darlin', Good Vibrations, Marcella, Sail on Sailor, Let The Wind Blow, Surfers Rule, 409m etc?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »

I go back and forth all the time. My personal tastes are in favor of the Beach Boys... But I'll tell you why the Beatles will always be number 1... Try driving in  a car and sing Surf's Up or Break Away... Now go try singing Yellow Submarine or All Together now.

The melodies are so much simpler and sing-songee compared to the Beachboys. That is why The Beatles will always remain #1 with the general population.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 01:20:43 PM »

Brian Wilson, as a songwriter/musician, is AT LEAST the equal, if not superior to Lennon/McCartney.

Macca is one of my idols, but I've gotta say that Brian was definately superior to Lennon and McCartney. You've gotta remember that what John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Martin did for the Beatles, Brian did on his own for the Beach Boys. Lennon and McCartney didn't produce or arrange, they had George Martin for that. And they were equal songwriters who could finish each other's songs and had a healthy competition going that pushed them both to great heights. And besides that, didn't have to deal with band members that told them to the stop f**king with the formula or a record company that didn't understand their records. Imagine what Brian could've done if he would have had a John Lennon, a George Martin and a 100% supportive cooperative band and record company to work with...

I also think the Brian's music was more sophisticated. You can play most Beatles song on your own, just with one voice and a guitar or a piano. That doesn't go for a lot of Beach Boys songs. Not that that makes Brian's music better by definition (less can indeed be more sometimes), but it does say something about the dept and complexity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:29:45 PM by shelter » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »

What about I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun, Dance Dance Dance, Darlin', Good Vibrations, Marcella, Sail on Sailor, Let The Wind Blow, Surfers Rule, 409m etc?

I agree. Songs like I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun and Break Away were as driving and energetic as anything the Beatles ever did.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »

I would like to see someone play Revolution #9 on guitar. LOL.

In my opinion, the Beatles were better performers on stage and looked much cooler. They were also able to write better lyrics. The Beach Boys often had to look to the outside for their lyrics. However, musically, I think that Brian surpassed the Beatles. Dennis could also write songs as good as them, I think. Carl became a very good producer. Mike, Al and Bruce were up to Ringo's level in song writing Smiley ?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:15:35 PM »

I think the BBs put out a heck of a lot more sh*t, even in both bands' "prime" of the mid-60s. That's why I think the Beatles were better. But as for comparing both bands' best, there's an argument there.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »

I think the BBs put out a heck of a lot more merda, even in both bands' "prime" of the mid-60s.

That can be explained: The Beach Boys had just one major songwriter in their commercial prime, The Beatles had two (three in their final years) and still the Beach Boys were always a bit more productive.
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »

I agree. Songs like I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun and Break Away were as driving and energetic as anything the Beatles ever did.

I've been meaning to post in favour of Dance, Dance, Dance for a while now. That's such a cool song  Cool. Gets me singing along every time but nobody seems to give it it's due.
Another favourite not mentioned here is Wind Chimes. It's beautiful, freaky and a bloody good sing-along too  Grin 

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »

I think the BBs put out a heck of a lot more merda, even in both bands' "prime" of the mid-60s.

That can be explained: The Beach Boys had just one major songwriter in their commercial prime, The Beatles had two (three in their final years) and still the Beach Boys were always a bit more productive.

No argument. But finding explanations doesn't change the facts of their output. The recorded output of the Beatles is to me more consistently good than that of the Beach Boys.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »

The recorded output of the Beatles is to me more consistently good than that of the Beach Boys.

If you look at the entire BB discography: absolutely. But if you only look at their 'prime', I'm not too sure. Of course, apart from Pet Sounds and maybe Sunflower every album had a few songs that probably shouldn't have been released, but the Beatles discography also isn't very consistent. Please Please Me, With The Beatles and Beatles For Sale each included six or seven cover songs. How often have you listened to Sgt. Pepper all the way through, without skipping Within You Withou You? Yellow Submarine had just four new songs and they were all weak. The White Album had Wild Honey Pie, Revolution #9 and Don't Pass Me By. And Let It Be was a mess production wise: raw, live recorded basic tracks with slick string and chorus overdubs to cover up the mistakes (ever listened closely to John Lennon's bass guitar parts on The Long And Winding Road?).
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 01:29:32 PM »

It may sound now like I think The Beatles are overrated, but that's absolutely not true. The Beatles used to be my favorite band, and me and a friend of mine, who is a huge Beach Boys fan, always had discussions about which of those two bands was better. I really thought he was insane for thinking that some silly old surf band could possibly be better than the almighty Beatles. Then he advised me to forget the old surf hits and check out Pet Sounds and Sunflower, which I did. I'm usually a pretty stubborn guy, but two weeks later I had to admit that The Beach Boys really were the best damn group ever. I've been obsessed with the Beach Boys ever since.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »

Well, Pepper, I love straight through. Every song.

And the others, covers, sure, but damn good ones most of the time. Yellow Submarine I'll grant you. But I stand behind my points.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »

IMO, the best of the Beach Boys' music trumps the best of the Beatles' music.....but vice versa, the worst of the Beach Boys' is worse than the Beatles' music....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 01:39:32 PM »

IMO, the best of the Beach Boys' music trumps the best of the Beatles' music.....but vice versa, the worst of the Beach Boys' is worse than the Beatles' music....

And that was pretty much my point. (Well, actually I said the best BBs competes with the best Beatles--they're neck and neck to me)

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »

I would like to see someone play Revolution #9 on guitar. LOL.

In my opinion, the Beatles were better performers on stage and looked much cooler. They were also able to write better lyrics. The Beach Boys often had to look to the outside for their lyrics. However, musically, I think that Brian surpassed the Beatles. Dennis could also write songs as good as them, I think. Carl became a very good producer. Mike, Al and Bruce were up to Ringo's level in song writing Smiley ?

I agree with that. especially the last bit!  LOL LOL LOL LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 10:51:26 PM »

In my opinion, the Beatles were better performers on stage and looked much cooler.

The BBs actually did look cool during the Chaplin/Fataar/Jack Reiley/Surf's Up/CATP/Holland era. And all 3 Wilson bros. looked cool during the PS/SMiLE era, just not in their stage getups. Dennis could still look cool in the striped shirt, though.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »

I still have not had a chance to read the excerpt yet but the 'vs' in the title reminds me of those silly school-yard discussions on the merits of bands or acts from long ago. Encouraged on by the PR teams.
Whats wrong with the concept of two or more acts releasing material that was all anticipated, picked apart, discussed and appreciated. I'm sure in fact that there were those in the 60s who could care less who the artist was but just liked listening to their work. As there is today.

I'll put on any album and never give a thought to how the album measures up to another artists work. Only their own previous material.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 05:45:38 AM »

In my opinion, the Beatles were better performers on stage and looked much cooler.

The BBs actually did look cool during the Chaplin/Fataar/Jack Reiley/Surf's Up/CATP/Holland era. And all 3 Wilson bros. looked cool during the PS/SMiLE era, just not in their stage getups. Dennis could still look cool in the striped shirt, though.

I totally agree. But I'm not sure that counts since that was after the Beatles broke up.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 05:52:42 AM »

I think the BBs put out a heck of a lot more merda, even in both bands' "prime" of the mid-60s. That's why I think the Beatles were better. But as for comparing both bands' best, there's an argument there.

Actually, I think that I dislike a lot more pre Rubber Soul Beatles songs then pre Pet Sounds Beach Boys. However, I would agree that from 1967-1970, the Beatles were much more consistant. Of course the White Album and Let it Be had some exceptions. And I would consider Yellow Submarine a George Martin album featuring the Beatles. But Sgt Pepper was better then Smiley Smile, Magical Mystery Tour better then Wild Honey.

I actually like Friends better then the White album, but I'm not sure that its better. 20/20 vs Let it Be? That is close but I might have to say 20/20. And Sunflower and Abbey Road are close.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »

I think the BBs put out a heck of a lot more merda, even in both bands' "prime" of the mid-60s. That's why I think the Beatles were better. But as for comparing both bands' best, there's an argument there.

Actually, I think that I dislike a lot more pre Rubber Soul Beatles songs then pre Pet Sounds Beach Boys. However, I would agree that from 1967-1970, the Beatles were much more consistant. Of course the White Album and Let it Be had some exceptions. And I would consider Yellow Submarine a George Martin album featuring the Beatles. But Sgt Pepper was better then Smiley Smile, Magical Mystery Tour better then Wild Honey.

I actually like Friends better then the White album, but I'm not sure that its better. 20/20 vs Let it Be? That is close but I might have to say 20/20. And Sunflower and Abbey Road are close.
I've always thought of Sunflower as the Boys' equivalent to Abbey Road. Although it doesn't have one side that is supposed to be one big, long movement, the production values and quality of the songwriting of Sunflower easily rivals Abbey Road. The vocal harmonies on Sunflower alone could kick Abbey Road's ass. Hell, the Beach Boys kicked the Beatles' asses in the harmony department on every album.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx