gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:01:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zappa Nesmith  (Read 15512 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »

But all that and the fact that they pretended to play their own instruments, even when they didn't, wouldn't matter if their songs were really great, but I just can't hear it, sorry I don't "get it".
Søren

There was never any pretending! They mimed just like any other band of buffoons on the tele, but all four of them could play AT LEAST guitar coming into the project... Yes, even Jones. Peter could play many, Mike several, and Micky was taught to play drums BEFORE the TV show was aired in Sept '66. And their songs WERE really great. (no insult here) Not 'getting it' is truly your loss. There is some magical music to be found if you check it out past the hits stage of the project. You may have needed to come into it like many of us did... as kids, then have a higher appreciation for it as an adult. Your life is a do over!  Wink
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »

I don't think it's any secret, that the whole Monkees concept, with four zany guys jumping around

Who gives a merda foda about the "concept?" They aren't about the concept, they're about music. You can't pass judgement on whether the "concept" is faulty until you've heard the music, and if you're still decrying it you haven't HEARD the great songs, and there are MANY. MANY MANY. Namely the entire Headquarters, Pisces Aquarius, and Head albums plus most of the first album and chunks of the second one. I bet a dollar you've heard "Last Train" and maybe "Daydream Believer" and maybe MAYBE a couple others like Valleri or something.

Have you even heard Pleasant Valley Sunday? It is the THIRD BEST SONG OF ALL TIME.
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 08:36:43 AM »

Welcome to the Monkee House!
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 09:12:38 AM »

Ok this is a prime opportunity to repost the Monkeemobile!

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Chris D.
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 09:21:24 AM »

Maybe I take it a little too seriously, but there's also something reactionary about reducing the youth movement at that point, into being something about monkees.

Dude, calling the teenage fans a bunch of monkeys is fucking brilliant!  I'd like them for that even if the music sucked.  Assuming that's what you're saying, of course.  Are you saying posters here think the "youth movement" is about the Monkees, instead? 
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2006, 05:32:05 AM »

Maybe I take it a little too seriously, but there's also something reactionary about reducing the youth movement at that point, into being something about monkees.

Dude, calling the teenage fans a bunch of monkeys is fodaing brilliant!  I'd like them for that even if the music sucked.  Assuming that's what you're saying, of course.  Are you saying posters here think the "youth movement" is about the Monkees, instead? 

Maybe I’m paranoid, but Monkees were modelled over the Beatles phenomenon, so in a way it’s like reducing Beatles and the youth culture, they helped to spawn, into to something monkey-like. Beatles were big enough for that, so it’s no big deal, but it seems a little reactionary.
BTW I have heard "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and some of the stuff from "Headqaurters" and "Pisces..", it just didn't strike me as being particularly great, but again that's my loss.

Søren
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 06:57:50 AM by jazzfascist » Logged

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Chris D.
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »

Maybe I’m paranoid, but Monkees were modelled over the Beatles phenomenon, so in a way it’s like reducing Beatles and the youth culture, they helped to spawn, into to something monkey-like

I know Smiley

If that's reactionary, what about all the people who picked up on the Beatles' style without commenting on it -- The Stones, Who, Kinks...
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2006, 08:06:12 AM »

Maybe I’m paranoid, but Monkees were modelled over the Beatles phenomenon, so in a way it’s like reducing Beatles and the youth culture, they helped to spawn, into to something monkey-like

I know Smiley

If that's reactionary, what about all the people who picked up on the Beatles' style without commenting on it -- The Stones, Who, Kinks...

I don’t think Stones, Who or Kinks just picked up Beatles’ style, particular Stones were much more bluesy. As a matter of fact those groups probably tried to further, what Beatles had instigated, by monkeying around even more and being even more scandalous, longhaired and wild, which could be seen as a comment in itself.
And you can probably see Monkees as a progressive, postmodern, ironic comment on the Beatles and the popculture, but my feeling is, that it is giving their show too much credit. It was a family-friendly show directed at kiddies, and the whole ironic attitude was probably something made to calm the parent generation, who felt threatened by what was going on with the youth at that point.

Søren

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »

the whole ironic attitude was probably something made to calm the parent generation, who felt threatened by what was going on with the youth at that point.

Søren

When was this "ironic attitude" concocted to help "calm the parent generation", and by whom?  Explain, because that sounds somewhat "cut and dried".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:11 AM »

my feeling is, that it is giving their show too much credit. It was a family-friendly show directed at kiddies, and the whole ironic attitude was probably something made to calm the parent generation, who felt threatened by what was going on with the youth at that point.

Read some interviews with Bob Schneider and Bob Rafelson, man.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2006, 04:09:43 PM »

my feeling is, that it is giving their show too much credit. It was a family-friendly show directed at kiddies, and the whole ironic attitude was probably something made to calm the parent generation, who felt threatened by what was going on with the youth at that point.

Read some interviews with Bob Schneider and Bob Rafelson, man.

Yeah, okay maybe I should do that.

Søren

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx