gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:51:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zappa Nesmith  (Read 14770 times)
GP1138
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 07:03:46 AM »

Pretty sure it's Mother People from MONEY: "...We are the other people
You're the other people too"

Not sure Mike has the superior talent but he picks up on Frank's knack for always acting smugly 'superior', that's for sure.

Yes. And the final sound is the opening "note" of "The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny".
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 09:34:08 PM »

http://gp1138.digitaloutsider.org/zappamonkees.mpg

If it doesn't work, try again in twenty or so minutes from the time this was posted. I have to run out the door for a few minutes, so I can't wait and post this.

When and where was this shot? And where did it air? Was Mike still in the Monkees when they did this?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 09:39:35 PM »

IT'S FROM THE MONKEES' TV SHOW!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 10:00:06 PM »

You've got to be kidding!  Shocked

Was that clip an outtake? That was a scene from the show!

Was Zappa really famous in the sixties, did the average kid on the street know who he was, or was he mostly known among the LA music scene makers?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »

I think these details were in the thread already, but it was used as an opener for an episode in the 2nd season. All the Monkees had a chance to have a guest. Mike had Frank, Micky had Tim Buckley, Davy had Charlie Smalls, Peter did not have a guest. Watch the Monkees series, dude. You won't be disappointed.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2006, 10:05:36 PM »

Afterward, Zappa would never again make the mistake of being caught on camera in the company of someone who was clearly his intellectual and humorous superior.

?

http://www.freewebs.com/oldjoesplace/zappa.mov

Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2006, 10:51:01 PM »

Silly me!  Grin

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 04:26:33 AM »

Episode # 57 3/11/68.

http://monkeestv3.tripod.com/season2/blowminds.html

http://monkeestv3.tripod.com/MonkeesInterviews/David_Micky_Michael_Guests/blowminds_FZ-MN.html

Man, I don't believe how few people here know the Monkees!  I thought that was sort of baseline standard pop!
Evenreven
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 04:29:10 AM »

When you're spoonfed "but they were just a bunch of phonies, and they didn't play their own instruments!" from an early age, it takes a lot of dedication to get past that stage. I'm just barely there, myself. I have a lot to look forward too!  Smiley
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006, 06:38:45 AM »

when i was a kid i watched the Monkees tv show religiously , but i don't remember that episode?. i loved the Monkee's as a kid late 60's /early 70's .My mom bought me  a model kit of their car , which i assembled and kept on my nightstand for years'.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 11:56:52 AM »

When you're spoonfed "but they were just a bunch of phonies, and they didn't play their own instruments!" from an early age, it takes a lot of dedication to get past that stage. I'm just barely there, myself. I have a lot to look forward too!  Smiley
Certainly interesting points, but like any other group in the 60's... they did & didn't play their own instruments. Take the Motown label, there was a group of guys that were the core musicians. The Los Angeles scene was primarily the same group of people that played on most of the music that was released from that part of the country.

Keep in mind that some of the same people that played on Monkees records were the same people that played on the Byrds, Carpenters, Righteous Brothers, Phil Spector productions, Jan & Dean, etc, etc!
Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, James Burton, Al Casey, Carole Kaye, Ray Pohlman, Mike Deasy, Michael Rubini, & every other soul that was a session player or that was connected to the 'Wrecking Crew' played on Monkees recordings.
Neil Young, Buddy Miles, Ry Cooder, Clarence White, Stephen Stills, Andy Kim, can all be found in the grooves of Monkees records.

Don't write them off so quickly as there's a lot to be discovered there. Check out the soon to be mammoth Monkees LP The Monkees ain't no slouches! Come on boys.... back me up on this one!!  Smiley
Evenreven
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2006, 05:50:10 AM »

Hey, we know this! It's the vast majority of the record buying public of today who don't know it. I know now that the Monkees rule, natch, but getting over the prejudice you're fed from an early age is more than you can ask of most people. I love the Monkees now because I have a pop music lover's dedication to finding great stuff I haven't heard before.

Sadly, the old Rolling Stone "intelligentsia" - the same that relegated the Beach Boys to the league of perpetual unhip-ness - still haven't caught up with reality. Just look at Richie Unterberger's pointless bio from allmusic.com:
Scorned at their peak by hipsters for not playing on many of their own records, the group gained some belated critical respect for their catchy, good-time brand of pop. It would be foolish to pretend, however, that they were a band of serious significance, despite the occasional genuinely serious artistic aspirations of the members.
Uh-huh.
the group wouldn't do much more than sing, although the series would give the impression that they played their own instruments.
How heartbreaking.
the Monkees did indeed play and write much of the music on their third album, Headquarters (1967), with a lot of help from producer Chip Douglas. It didn't prove the band to be hidden geniuses, in fact sounding not much different from their previous releases, but as a hard-won victory to establish their own identity, it was a major point of pride. They would continue, however, to rely upon industry songwriters for the rest of their hit singles, and frequently employ session musicians throughout the rest of their career.
Even this "victory" is a defeat. The dreaded "session musician" re-enters. (Sigh.)

Every new fan of the Monkees will be hard-won, Kevin. Unless they get a Pet Sounds-like hype machine at their disposal. I hope they will.
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 08:19:07 AM »

I think to me they are just this kind of slightly offending rip-off of Beatles. Most of it, except for "I'm A Believer" or "Daydream Believer", sounds like pretty boring, bland popmusic to me. Maybe as a pop-art phenomenon they were interesting, or they probably also mean something, if you are very nostalgic about sixties LA pop. But compared to the other music that was around at that point, I don't think they were very good. Believe me I have tried, but I didn't hear anything particularly arresting. Don't know why they mean so much to some people on the board, but it's my loss I guess.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »

Thanks for proving Even's point.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:32 PM »

Frank Zappa was a guest near the end of the series in an episode called 'Monkees Blow Their Minds'
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »

oh, I see Jeff beat me to it!
Chris D.
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 12:38:32 PM »

pretty boring, bland popmusic to me

Ever listen to Birth of the Cool?

Even, great posts.  People would love the Monkees if they did their own stuff, easily.  It's like this James Frey nonsense with Oprah.  Oprah and Frey's audience want to revel in the writer's misery, then somehow call him an opportunist when he's faked it.  But they are the opportunists.

Does anyone around here insult the Knickerboxers for their Beatles ripoff "Lies"?  No.  Because they played their own stuff, or people assume they did.  But the Monkees had the misfortune of being smarter than their audience.  And when the audience knows that, it never goes over well.    I'd respect people who fault the Monkees for being fake if they only like the Beatles when they wore leather jackets.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

I'd respect people who fault the Monkees for being fake if they only like the Beatles when they wore leather jackets.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Chris D.
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Wind beneath ur broken wingz, babiez.
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »

Thanks for proving Even's point.

You're welcome.

Søren

Jason
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »

I was never a huge fan of the Monkees, but they are probably the band I respect the hell out of the most. I know they were never the best of musicians, but damn it, just like the Shaggs, they tried their damnedest on their instruments and made records that worked. I prefer their material from Headquarters onward, up to the early seventies, then my interest peaks.

They may have been manufactured, but they had some kind of talent about them that led to many great records. The Monkees paid every possible due and beat all the odds. You'd be crazy not to respect that.
Evenreven
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »

Even, great posts.  People would love the Monkees if they did their own stuff, easily.  It's like this James Frey nonsense with Oprah.  Oprah and Frey's audience want to revel in the writer's misery, then somehow call him an opportunist when he's faked it.  But they are the opportunists.

Does anyone around here insult the Knickerboxers for their Beatles ripoff "Lies"?  No.  Because they played their own stuff, or people assume they did.  But the Monkees had the misfortune of being smarter than their audience.  And when the audience knows that, it never goes over well.    I'd respect people who fault the Monkees for being fake if they only like the Beatles when they wore leather jackets.
"You can tell / I really love you."
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »

I think to me they are just this kind of slightly offending rip-off of Beatles.

Only somebody who has heard a grand total of five Monkees songs would make such an inaccurate, asinine, almost offensive comment.

"Rip off of the Beatles?" In what way, other than they both have four members? I can count the Beatle rips the band did on ONE HAND -- the rest of their music is so far removed from the smegging Beatles as to be inconsequential. The Monkees have more in common with sunshine pop, country-pop, LA-sunset-strip-pop and other going concerns that used to be dug around these parts than they have in common with the fegging Beatles.

I love the Beatles, but in many ways I *almost* love the Monkees more. ALMOST.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »

other going concerns that used to be dug around these parts

Burn on!

Amen.

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2006, 04:10:07 AM »

I think to me they are just this kind of slightly offending rip-off of Beatles.

Only somebody who has heard a grand total of five Monkees songs would make such an inaccurate, asinine, almost offensive comment.

"Rip off of the Beatles?" In what way, other than they both have four members? I can count the Beatle rips the band did on ONE HAND -- the rest of their music is so far removed from the smegging Beatles as to be inconsequential. The Monkees have more in common with sunshine pop, country-pop, LA-sunset-strip-pop and other going concerns that used to be dug around these parts than they have in common with the fegging Beatles.

I meant the concept, not so much the music. I don't think it's any secret, that the whole Monkees concept, with four zany guys jumping around, was copied from the Beatles' movies. Maybe I take it a little too seriously, but there's also something reactionary about reducing the youth movement at that point, into being something about monkees. But all that and the fact that they pretended to play their own instruments, even when they didn't, wouldn't matter if their songs were really great, but I just can't hear it, sorry I don't "get it".

Søren

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx