gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:06:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Rieley - Western Justice  (Read 10734 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »

Hey all! I was wondering what excactly is the deal with this album.  It's name pops up every now and then, but it never really goes real deep. I'm asking this because I bumped into two official Dutch CDs by EMI last week. They were 2$ each. Should I pick them up? Anybody else here wanting the other one? PM me if interested!

See ya! Yorick
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

From Brad Elliot's Surf's Up Book:
"2 years after Holland, Rieley surfaced with a concept album titled Western Justice.  Set in the not-too-distant future, the album relates the trials and tribulations of the Western nations at the hands of the 3rd World, to whom the global balance of power has shifted.  The album was never released in the US and nothing has been heard from Rieley.
1975   (HOLLAND)  EMI Bovema ST 25160  (LP)
by Jack Rieley and Machiel Botman
Western Justice: Excerpts from a Diary
Tracklisting: America/Hot Spit/Cry Child Cry/Brother Sister And Sister Brother/Stuck (the Circle)/Organ Grinder/Much To Discover/No Rain But Me/Slightly/Frogs/Western Justice
Rieley sings lead on America, Much to Discover, and the title song.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 09:05:10 AM »

Has anyone heard it? I'm really curious as to how it sounds. For all his, ah..., cleverly-crafted biography, I liked the Beach Boys' sound when Rieley was around. I don't know how much of that was his doing, but hey, that's why I want to hear his album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »

i agree with you...
people give a lot of crap for his vocals on tree...
but i dont think i hear anybody complain about Mt. Vernon narration being bad. i like it.
i actually coulda sworn that was Brian's voice from like 76, but i was an early fan then.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »

It's an interesting CD, and well worth $2. I got mine from the official site full price, and don't regret it for one moment.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 10:00:26 AM »

It's kind of funny because Jack Rieley seems to be a new version of Van Dyke Parks, same kind of flowery langauge but seemingly not so educated as VDP. It seems as a kind of delayed reaction, that the BB's picked him as their guiding light in the seventies.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »

Andrew G. Doe ... I know your name from somewhere. Wait, I own your book! It's great that you're in this forum!

I would like to know where I can get Western Justice. Anyone have any ideas? Send me a PM.

:D

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:57:22 PM »

Here would be a good place to start.  Grin

http://www.western-justice.com/

runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

Andrew... thanks! BTW, (and this is cliche of someone to say when they read someone's book)... but, I loved your book! Next to B. Wilson's autbio, it's the one that I found most interesting! There are not too many books out there that does what yours does: goes through EVERY song and gives some trivia and tidbits...

Only gripe: I wish the vocals were more "well put" when it comes to trying to figure who sang what... all these guys, with the exception of Dennis, have the tendency to sound the same!

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
MBE
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »

I just got a vinyl copy looking forward to playing it. The film clips on the site were interesting. I never saw Jack before.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »

i havnt either, i'll have to check it out

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »

What did Jack Rieley lie about, in terms of his background/biography?  I know very little about him, but I've read stuff where he was called a con man and a swindler.

Was he?

Glenn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »

He claimed to have worked for NBC in their Puerto Rican bureau (they didn't have one) and to have won a Pulitzer prize (check out their website - you see any mention of any Jack Rieley ?).

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »

And the Beach Boys hired him based on those claims?  What was he doing when he met them?

Glenn
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »

He was a disc jockey who in 1970  interviewed Brian, Mike, and Bruce for a radio show. He sold the transcript to Rolling Stone. It is Brian at his most "normal"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 11:39:57 PM »

I think he first met Brian when he went into The Radiant Radish. The radio station was KPFK Pacifica.

MBE
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 02:00:29 AM »

That's right he did meet Brian at the store.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:12 AM »

I got a vinyl copy of this recently. It came with 2 newspaper cutouts as well as the booklet. Im wondering about the newspaper cutouts as there are 2 pieces. One is a 4 page broadsheet with the title "Het Laatste Nieuws" while the other is just a 3/4 length cut out broadsheet page with what looks like a review/interview with the band from a paper called "de Volkskrant" (12 July 75)

I know the 4 page broadsheet is meant to be there but I guess the other piece must have been left in by a previous owner?

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:32 AM »

I found out that 90% album remains stabbing in the same piano 'shuffle' rhythm, similar to the rhythms in songs like Leaving This Town, Surf's Up, anyway with very little variation, and it is quite understandable it was not released in the 70s.  released in 1975?!

More shuffles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oez3NGU7cJQ (High Llamas - The Dutchman --> Holland)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPoQWapQL0 (High Llamas - The Goat Looks On --> Pet Sounds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7sJzJ9xkp8  (Jack Rieley & Machiel Botman: Western Justice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W65YuoRkpM (Jack Rieley & Machiel Botman: America)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:19:08 AM by Jaco » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

What did Jack Rieley lie about, in terms of his background/biography?  I know very little about him, but I've read stuff where he was called a con man and a swindler.

Was he?

I think this was more to do with some claims he made post-Beach Boys than lying about his credentials to become their manager.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

does remind me of some beachboys production and music from the early 70's......interesting in that respect and listenable as you work at the computer...not too intrusive....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

Was he?

I think this was more to do with some claims he made post-Beach Boys than lying about his credentials to become their manager.

Read the Gaines book.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx