gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:47:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should Andrew Shave His Beard?
Yes - 12 (32.4%)
No - 23 (62.2%)
Maybe - 2 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andrew Doe (Beach Boys Author and Historian) Appreciation Thread  (Read 8460 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »

I'll start.

I like his book.  Both editions.

I like his beard, too.

I like the fact he is ten years older than me.

Thanks, Andrew.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:36:15 AM »

Andrew fucking rocks. One of the people I admire and respect the most in the BB world, even if his ears aren't what they used to be... But that's age I guess  Grin

(and I voted no, by the way)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »

I like the way he gets under people's skin when he points out to them they posted something stupid.

I like the way he helps me when I'm working my ass off on a book and I email him with some odd question at 2 a.m. UK time and he answers it in like 30 seconds.

I hate the way he gets under my skin when he points out to me that I posted something stupid.

Humor aside...he's an excellent historian, and we could use a few more with his attention to detail.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »

we're lucky to have so many knowledgable people hanging around this board.

For some reason i have always pictured AGD to look like the guy from the Monkees' Head CD. Probably because i used to mix up Andrew G Doe and Andrew Sandoval, who wrote the liners for the Monkees reissues.

i think the guy was some random guy who worked for the design company.
SG7
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »

He has a cool hat

He is a nice guy too

He is very funny also  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »

Andrew Doe was one of my main sources of BBs knowledge back in the '80s, when there was no internet and not that many books available on the topic of our Boys.  Every so often a copy of STOMP! would arrive in the mail, and I always sought out his writings first, because I knew they'd always provide some worthwhile news or knowledge.  He did things us average fans could only dream about, such as fly to L.A., interview Bruce and hang with the Boys at a studio mixdown session for their new album, actually meet Brian and get to watch while he played "Rhapsody" on the piano, and also meet and interview some of the other great players in their history (Britz, Desper, Parks,  Jasper Daily, etc.).

Later, when I launched my beachboysarchives website, he was one of my primary influences, both research-wise and writing style-wise.

These days (internet days), he's a quick and reliable source to pose quick questions that require a reliable answer.

Three cheers, Andrew!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »

I  like  him. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »

He is kind enough to answer my question(s) even though he has answered the same question 40 times before.  And his taste and judgement in BB music is spot on (in my opinion)!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »

I like him as well.
Though I wish he would describe his personal run-ins with the boys more often..
There is probably some comic gold in there somewhere.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

Not just the Boys... Wink Roll Eyes

Many thanks for the kind words, people. Much appreciated.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »

Yes - I like AGD, too.   I'm proud to call him a friend.  He offered some much-needed and welcome support and encouragement during a difficult time (that had nothing to do with the BBs, by the way) and I'll always be grateful for that.

And we both like a lot of the same music....

Alan
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »

Andrew seeks out, posts and sticks to facts and evidence when it's often much more interesting or romantic to go with legends.

And he usually writes in complete, grammatically correct sentences filled with properly spelled words.

It's hard for me to decide which of those two things about him I like more.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »

A fine fellow!  Smiley

His original 'Complete guide..' book is one of my favourite books ever!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »

Andrew's website is great and it's free. what more can you ask? Atractive webdesign?  Wink

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »

I liked AGD singing Soul Searchin' at the last convention...... Rock!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »

He is kind enough to answer my question(s) even though he has answered the same question 40 times before.  And his taste and judgement in BB music is spot on (in my opinion)!

I agree with that. Except he likes LBWL, but I'll let him off for that Tongue

In all seriousness though, AGD is what makes this board (and every other Beach Boys message board that he posts on) so great. Luther summed it up when he said that he "sticks to facts and evidence when it's often much more interesting or romantic to go with legends"... I couldn't agree more. For example he was the one who first pointed out to me that Brians autobiography was anything but and I suppose if he hadn't done so then I would still be believing that every word was Brian's.

I also like AGD because he admits when he's wrong as well (which isn't very often mind you) which I suppose is what any great historian does (ie: keeps searching and learning the facts as they become available). But as has been said, the fact that he gives us so much of his time to answer a question that he's probably answered about 1000 times before is what makes him such a special asset to the message boards around the internet.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »

As far as knowledge of the BBs (and related topics) is concerned, AGD is a God.  John Updike once wrote (about Ted Williams) that Gods do not answer letters.  But Andrew comes on here and answers our BB letters all the time.  This board would not be the same without him.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »

I consider Andrew a friend, and I respect the fact that he's a straight shooter. He'll tell you how it is, and that's that, no BS.

Andrew seeks out, posts and sticks to facts and evidence when it's often much more interesting or romantic to go with legends.

And he usually writes in complete, grammatically correct sentences filled with properly spelled words.

It's hard for me to decide which of those two things about him I like more.

Agreed 100x. When dealing with the BB, there's so many myths, half-truths, and deception, someone like Andrew is sorely needed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 07:30:55 PM »

I agree with all that was said. When I first began to get involved in actually researching BB history- I found AGD's site to always be the most factual and reliable of all that was out there and I like his book very much.  He always answers questions put to him and continues to be interested in getting the facts right.  On a personal note- AGD graciously offered to give me a home for all the research into the BB's concert history that I had done-which turned out great. AGD put alot of time into the Sessions aspect and got alot of correct session info from people in the know-so that our Gigs/Sessions site is the real deal- almost all correct facts (and if anyone knows of any that are wrong we are ready to correct it).  AGD has been great about all the emails I send him with changes and corrections and additions to the concert info- so a great fellow-even though I have never met him or even talked to him outside of email I feel that I know him
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »

With everything Andrew does for everybody, I have to wonder...does he ever sleep?
Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »

Very carefully.

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 03:05:48 AM »

I've always loved the BB's music, but while I'm considerably better read on the topic (and have heard and/or acquired many more bootlegs) since I first started visiting related websites (primarily the old Cab board and the current Shut Down), the source of most of my knowledge on the band is AGD, a man remarkably generous with his time and patience.

Thanks. 
Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 05:59:35 AM »

We love him just the way he is.

BBB just wouldn't be the same without his input and his Bellagio site is one of the very best BB resources there is.

I've known him for a long time now (scary, when I think back to early Stomp days...) and I think that the way some of our mutual friends describe him, just about sums him up, very nicely:

A Cuddly Old Bear covered by a Toad's outfit. 

Yeah!

Said with much love and appreciation x

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 07:09:49 AM »

Andrew rules! It's not just his (great) infos, he is a funny and very nice guy!  Smiley

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx