gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:20:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Thank Him"  (Read 3268 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »

I apologize if this has already been covered on the Youtube thread, but I just stumbled across an incredible demo, labeled as from 1963 and titled "Thank Him."  Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rtuPBLwYsA&feature=related

I had never heard of this track (not that my knowledge is exhaustive by any means).  I'm sure folks on this board know it.  I'm guessing it's not a BW original but a cover.  Anyway -- just wanted to share it with the group.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »

I apologize if this has already been covered on the Youtube thread, but I just stumbled across an incredible demo, labeled as from 1963 and titled "Thank Him."  Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rtuPBLwYsA&feature=related

I had never heard of this track (not that my knowledge is exhaustive by any means).  I'm sure folks on this board know it.  I'm guessing it's not a BW original but a cover.  Anyway -- just wanted to share it with the group.

It is a Brian Wilson original. I think its a great song, I wish it had been recorded
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:13 PM »

I enjoyed hearing that track (even with the muddy sound).  Is that Brian singing the high AND low vocal meledy parts?  Who is playing the instruments?  Anyone???
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »

Written & recorded in 1963 with Bob Norburg.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:21:15 AM »

I was in awe the first time I heard this track.  Its amazing how a song like this could be left in the can for 40+ years, when it could have taken the place of something like "Surf Jam" or "Denny Drums".

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:16:06 AM »

I was in awe the first time I heard this track.  Its amazing how a song like this could be left in the can for 40+ years, when it could have taken the place of something like "Surf Jam" or "Denny Drums".

Not to mention tracks like "Cassius Love...", "Our Favorite.."  and "Bull Session..". I think most people are in amazement at why the band didn't release some of the stuff that they wrote. Maby it's because Brian wrote it and then forgot about it? I mean I can't think of any other logic. I mean he was doing A LOT back in those days producing for other artists, writing LOTS of songs (including for outside artists), touring lots etc...
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:28:08 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Wow -- I am absolutely flabbergasted that this is a BW original (although now I know I can hear echoes of "Surfer Moon" in the bridge and the fade vocals).  Boy, did he and Norberg come up with some doozies -- Your Summer Dream, Keep an Eye on Summer, and this one.  I have to say, muddy sound, unfinished quality and all, this is about as beautiful of a track as I have ever heard.  I agree with everyone else who can't believe it never made it onto an album.  It is such a rare treat to stumble across a previously unknown (for me at least) Beach Boys gem.

To my ears that definitely sounds like Brian doing both vocals (you can really hear it at the end when the instruments drop out for a few seconds).  It sounds like just one guitar (Carl?) and presumably Brian on bass.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 05:40:18 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Wow -- I am absolutely flabbergasted that this is a BW original (although now I know I can hear echoes of "Surfer Moon" in the bridge and the fade vocals).  Boy, did he and Norberg come up with some doozies -- Your Summer Dream, Keep an Eye on Summer, and this one.  I have to say, muddy sound, unfinished quality and all, this is about as beautiful of a track as I have ever heard.  I agree with everyone else who can't believe it never made it onto an album.  It is such a rare treat to stumble across a previously unknown (for me at least) Beach Boys gem.

To my ears that definitely sounds like Brian doing both vocals (you can really hear it at the end when the instruments drop out for a few seconds).  It sounds like just one guitar (Carl?) and presumably Brian on bass.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

Once more - it's a Brian Wilson & Bob Norburg composition and recording. To the best of my knowledge, no other Beach Boys on it - all vocals and instruments are Brian & Bob.

Excuse the slight terseness of tone, but when I answer and it's evidently not read, I feel mildly irked.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:44:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:57:53 AM »

Once more - it's a Brian Wilson & Bob Norburg composition and recording. To the best of my knowledge, no other Beach Boys on it - all vocals and instruments are Brian & Bob.

Excuse the slight terseness of tone, but when I answer and it's evidently not read, I feel mildly irked.

Sorry, Andrew, I missed the import of your "recorded with Bob Norberg" reference (that Norberg and Brian were the only ones to play on the track).

I still feel pretty sure that the lead and harmony vocals are both Brian, however.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »

It's on "Get The Boot, Volume 1" isn't it?

Wonderful tune.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:18:46 PM »

Seriously Andrew, if its so bothersome to you to answer peoples questions, then dont bother coming to this board.

quit your bitching.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 12:36:36 AM »

The answering isn't bothersome - I enjoy it. Answers being ignored is.  Pissy admins bug me too, btw.

MBE
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 01:01:29 AM »

No offense to Joe and I can speak only for myself but I think Andrew's contributions are part of what makes this board great.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 03:35:59 AM »

No offense to Joe and I can speak only for myself but I think Andrew's contributions are part of what makes this board great.
Fully agree.

No way to treat an honored guest!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 08:00:20 AM »

Fully agree.

I think everyone's contributions, whether they are an "honored guest" or not, makes this board great.

We, including honored guests, should make a point of being kind and patient with each other, even to "regular" guests like Busy.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »

Fully agree.

We're trying to promote "Good Vibes" on this board (sound familiar?), but having to come on here and read posts from someone who constantly brings others down because they 'earned or deserved' does not help the cause. If it's too difficult to be kind, patient, and understanding then this isn't the place for you.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx